Nintendo Games on the Mac

• Posted: 29 June 2001 08:12 AM

All that Apple needs to do to be the premier gaming platform in the PC space is to work with (license?} Nintendo to support the games that will come out with the Nintendo Game Cube. With their help write a OSX emulator to run the games, and a driver to read the mini DVD format on their Combo drives.

Nintendo would love to help I’m sure, because they only make profits on the games themselves anyway. How hard could it be? The Game Cube runs an IBM version of the PPC processor (Gecko).

• Posted: 28 June 2001 12:54 PM #1

I have several Nintendo emulators on my PC at home and it has recently become VERY difficult to find any roms. All the sites have been shutdown. I read an article that Nintendo is really cracking down on these ROM sites. I have a strong feeling that they will not do anything on the Mac platform as it will divert sales from thier own console system.

BTW Aphelion…you have seem very intelligent and well researched information. I use Mac and PC and read your comments about XP and I am searching around for a guy I know has the Beta of it. Want to see if he has a license agreement.

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 29 June 2001 08:11 AM #2

Actually, Extell, I see Aphelion’s point. Nintendo is a software company: they make consoles, yes, but their principal business is making games that run on them. I don’t know for sure, but my guess is that the company doesn’t even own factories. They may very well outsource the construction of their consoles.

If software is their principal business, I don’t see why they wouldn’t be interested in having someone make a Nintendo emulator for the Mac or PC. It would be very interesting to speak to some Nintendo execs on the topic.

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 29 June 2001 08:12 AM #3

On 2001-06-28 15:54, Extell wrote:
    I have several Nintendo emulators on my PC at home and it has recently become VERY difficult to find any roms. All the sites have been shutdown. I read an article that Nintendo is really cracking down on these ROM sites. I have a strong feeling that they will not do anything on the Mac platform as it will divert sales from thier own console system.

BTW Aphelion…you have seem very intelligent and well researched information. I use Mac and PC and read your comments about XP and I am searching around for a guy I know has the Beta of it. Want to see if he has a license agreement.

Their own system (Game Cube) sells at a loss, the money in that sector (console gaming) is made on the software. They should be overjoyed to be able to sell to Mac users.

Yes, The Truth is out there, and a careful study of the shipping version of WinXP’s licence agreement should be revealing. What I look for in this is the end of the “perpetual licence” if that is replaced by something other, then the use of the software can be terminated at Microsofts whim. (upgrade to a subscription or else)!