If you could have any job at Apple?

Posted: 10 July 2001 10:42 AM

If you could have any job at Apple, what would it be?  For purposes of this question, assume you have all the qualifications and skills to do the job well.  Please explain why!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 29 June 2001 02:48 PM #1

iCEO, of course! 
    I’d want the job because you get to do the Macworld keynotes, and you know ahead of time what products are coming out.

• Posted: 29 June 2001 02:59 PM #2

Evangelist, most definitely. I’d love to have a card that says “Mac Genius” or “evangelist.”

Imagine having a job where you goal is to “preach the Gospel.” Few people have the opportunity to do a job in which they really believe in what they’re doing.

This reminds me of working at CompUSA once, and there was this AMD representative there. I remember her telling to us about the KMD versus the Pentium. “I really believe in the AMD brand,” she said.

I didn’t believe her. I’d like to believe that I wouldn’t have to tell people that “I believe.” To parphrase Margaret Thatcher: “Being [a true believer] is like being a lady… if you have to tell people you are, then you are not.”

Rodney O. Lain
    Mac Observer Columnist, iBrotha’s page at TMO

iBrotha.com, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iBrotha on 2001-06-29 18:00 ]</font>

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

Posted: 29 June 2001 10:47 PM #3

I’d want to work with the guy (name escapes me, but I’ll remember as soon as I hit the “Post” button) that designs the cool enclosures and stuff - the Cube, new iBook, etc.  I’m a designer and this guy must be one of God’s favorites.

Jack

Hey! It came to me early. His name is Jonathan Ive.

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

• Posted: 30 June 2001 05:50 AM #4

I would be a programmer, but after reading Rodney’s article, I’m not so sure about that anymore.  Any job at Apple would be work, and I always thought it would be fun because I’d be working on something that I actually cared about.  But I think it might be more traumatizing for myself and my opinion of this company.  I might not be as strong an advocate anymore!

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 30 June 2001 06:06 AM #5

On 2001-06-29 17:59, iBrotha wrote:
    Evangelist, most definitely. I’d love to have a card that says “Mac Genius” or “evangelist.”

Imagine having a job where you goal is to “preach the Gospel.” Few people have the opportunity to do a job in which they really believe in what they’re doing.

This reminds me of working at CompUSA once, and there was this AMD representative there. I remember her telling to us about the KMD versus the Pentium. “I really believe in the AMD brand,” she said.

I didn’t believe her. I’d like to believe that I wouldn’t have to tell people that “I believe.” To parphrase Margaret Thatcher: “Being [a true believer] is like being a lady… if you have to tell people you are, then you are not.”

iBrotha - good post, but you already have that job… As we all should! This company needs us now more than ever. Apple is in a market dominated by a preditory Monopolist.  We are the front line troops… er Ambassadors, for the only hope of an altenative for the masses to total control by one company.

Mac users unite!  The battle is joined!  Lead, follow or get out of the way!  But enough of the peppy phrases, sign on with MarketSource to do the up-coming demo days, be a part time PowerRep with your spare time. Post pro-Apple comments whenever you can. Talk to WinTel friends. Talk to your Boss or IT department about the future of OSX vs XP.  Tell them to obtain a copy of the WinXP & OfficeXP licence agreement… and read it carefully.

The Truth Is Out There…  Find it and spread it.

• Posted: 30 June 2001 05:18 PM #6

On 2001-06-30 01:47, iJack wrote:
    I’d want to work with the guy (name escapes me, but I’ll remember as soon as I hit the “Post” button) that designs the cool enclosures and stuff - the Cube, new iBook, etc.  I’m a designer and this guy must be one of God’s favorites.

Jack

Hey! It came to me early. His name is Jonathan Ive.

Jonathon Ive Jonathon Ive Jonathon Ive Jonathon Ive.
    Don’t forget his name again

I’m a product design student on the same course that Mr Ive took at the RCA here in london and I WILL one day work at his side,or take his job,I’m not fussy really

Nice to have an ambition though eh!

Andy

Signature

Visit my fantastic iTools constructed website,go on,whats the worst that can happen?

http://homepage.mac.com/stupidfish/

• Posted: 07 July 2001 12:54 PM #7

My job would be RHM, that is right-hand man to Steve Jobs. I would be immune to the RDF, and beyond Steve’s (apparent) temper tantrums, pettiness, etc. but privy to all of the insider info and plans for the future. Sort of like Consigliere without the dirty work of burying bodies.

• Posted: 07 July 2001 01:36 PM #8

Here’s another one I’d like to have and create: Evangelism liaison or sump’n lak dat.

I’d be the person who builds relationships with the Mac community. I’d work with the Mac web sites to make sure that they all get 1) discounts on Apple products 2) “evaulation” copies of software 3) better treatment/recognition that we get

After all, we had a part in saving Apple. That Jobs guy helped, too

Signature

• Posted: 07 July 2001 03:51 PM #9

After all, we had a part in saving Apple. That Jobs guy helped, too

True,true

Signature

Visit my fantastic iTools constructed website,go on,whats the worst that can happen?

http://homepage.mac.com/stupidfish/

• Posted: 07 July 2001 04:52 PM #10

On 2001-06-30 09:06, Aphelion wrote:

On 2001-06-29 17:59, iBrotha wrote:

iBrotha - good post, but you already have that job…

But, I’d prefer to get paid for it

Signature

Posted: 07 July 2001 08:28 PM #11

Head of the AppleScript management.

Yeah, Sal’s doing an okay job.  There was a lot of hoopla when 8.5 came out, but where is the AppleScript enhancements now? I really want to see Apple endorse AppleScript like it did Sherlock or even *gulp* quick time.  However, there are many qualified AppleScript guys around.  I’m still trying to think of why I’d be better, maybe because they are too much into the programming aspect of it?  I dunno.

Either that or head of R&D.  They still have that devision right?  Just to be able to play around with new technology, and new ideas of Apple.  That’s where all the cool stuff is.

• Posted: 10 July 2001 10:42 AM #12

Head of their Tech Support, I have done tech support for 15 years and while apple is doing a good job there is still too much falling thru the cracks. Their support is great on some products and fair to lousy in others. Someone needs to take a hard look at why.