The next iMac MUST be successul

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:16 PM

Apple is doing ok now, but what if the screw up the next iMac?  I am worried because I see the dirt cheap prices from PeeCee like that new one APplelinks showed today http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/06/20010612120016.shtml.

What if Appel’s iMac streak dies?  Their current ones aren’t selling that well I think.  This MacWorld is important.

Signature

Windows sucks.

• Posted: 13 June 2001 12:19 AM #1

FYI: The above link does not work because a period was added at the end.  Try this one: http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/06/20010612120016.shtml

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-13 03:19 ]</font>

• Posted: 13 June 2001 05:53 AM #2

A Celeron 400, and Windoze 98 SE? You gotta be kidding.

That might be a threat to used rev a or b iMacs, but that’s about it. My 266 MHz iMac beats the sh*t out of my office 466 MHz Celeron, in speed and in stability, not to mention pleasant computing experience.

I had to reinstall Windoze at work last week, when activesync stopped recognizing my Cassiopeia. Also, I was having crashes on most software. I repartitioned, reformatted, and though it’s improved, Netscape still crashes.

M$ piece of sh*t.

• Posted: 13 June 2001 05:55 AM #3

err..

I just checked Panasonic.com and the EF-1 has an MSRP of $1995. How are these people selling for $800? That’s crazy. I don’t think Apple will have any trouble beating $2K with a better product, but $800 - i bet these things are costing Panasonic a FORTUNE.

I think that the new iMac will be veeery similar to this in form factor though…

• Posted: 13 June 2001 05:57 AM #4

All I can say is you get what you pay for. And, in this instance, 800 bucks is not even worth consideration.  There is no way you could run Quake III or UT on that machine.  So…? DVD movies would be ugly as well..

Not worth the money..and I think Panasonic will find that out…

However, is the average everyday non-technical consumer aware of all of that when they step into a CompUSA? More than likely not..
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

• Posted: 13 June 2001 06:28 AM #5

This looks like an old product that never got off the ground.  Think about it.  400Mhz Celeron?  They don’t even make those anymore? 66Mhz bus?  Again, except for compact portables, that’s been phased out for a while.  And the price is a throwback to the days before the sub $1k computer ever existed.

It’s vaporware, pure and simple.

Posted: 13 June 2001 06:51 AM #6

If I was going to offer a Wintel box like this at this price point, I would use a processor I could get for about 9 bucks, a motherboard that would cost about 20, and a small hard drive.  Kick in 7 bucks worth of RAM and an LCD, and you get that machine.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 13 June 2001 06:58 AM #7

The iMac fills a niche, remember, and that is for the simple user on a budget. Not that a poweruser can’t also make use if it, the iMac lacks the qualities a poweruser hungers for. With that in mind, and based on the success of the iMac, there will always be low-end copycats with their own thematic twists.

But the contnued success of the iMac is not crucial to the success of Apple; innovation is. If and when the market is saturated with iMac-alikes, Steve will have to Think Different and come up with the “next great idea,” and hopefully it won’t be another cube.

Signature

“Instead of leaving, they’re staying in droves.”
    -Heddey Lamar.

“That’s HEADLEY”

• Posted: 13 June 2001 07:14 AM #8

First, I have been a PC tech for 8 years. And an Apple tech now for a little over a year. The PC industry may be able to sell you a low cost computer, but for one…they will not guarentee the reliability of that computer and two, dont expect it to do a whole lot of power work.  Where I used to work we sold a lot of cheap computers. The return ratio on those was horrible. When we would sell a high end system (ranging from $1200+) we had a lot happier customer and less returns. Apples pricing is good. They hit the range where the customer who want a stable computer buy.
      I like Apple, but I also like my PC. There are things that an Apple computer can do that I wish my PC would. But then there are a lot of things that my PC can do that I wish an Apple could do.

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 13 June 2001 07:54 AM #9

Even though this Panasonic PC is crap (400 MHz Celeron???) I believe it increases the pressure on Apple to release a flat-screen iMac as soon as possible (MWE in July?).
    And since Apple discontinued their DiamondTron 17” StudioDisplay I think they [Apple] have already made the decision…

• Posted: 13 June 2001 01:51 PM #10

Why are so few of you answering the hard question?

Rather than consider the consequences of Apple’s next iMac failing, you prefer to point out the shortcomings of Panasonic and other PC manufacturers takes on the iMac.

I’m afraid to say that if it does fail (as the Cube has) it could cause the stock to crash and result in serious internal turmoil within the company.  My biggest fear is that Apple may have to withdraw to a smaller niche of the market or even eventually become a subsiduary of a larger firm - evetually becoming an OS supplier (OS X will port to anything) or just the equivalent of a toy maker.

There now, I’ve addressed the core of the original issue - anybody else want to give it a go, or even just rage against my post.

• Posted: 13 June 2001 02:41 PM #11

Yeah, I’ve seen these “all in one” PC’s before, it’s nothing new.  A good customer knows how little he/she should spend.  A good customer should do research first, the lot of the others are the reasons for most of the returns, it’s their own fault.  That’s why I pitty tech support people, I feel sorry for them, I could not have the patience they do with people.  The computer used to be for nerds, people who do not want to bother learning how to operate their computers make me sick.  I learned everything on my own.  And I get people all the time asking me to teach them stuff they could easily do on their own.  Some don’t even take shopping advice… I told a friend not to buy an “E Machine,” they were built too cheap, she bought it anyway, and some unfixable component on the motherboard “broke” within a week.

She got a Gateway, and has been happy since.  While Panasonic makes some pretty decent stuff for the “prosumer” end, I choose a JVS S-VHS VTR over Panasonic’s version, why?  The cost of the JVC was a little more, and it was heavier, seemed to me that it was made better.  It was, I found out later that the Panasonic version didn’t even record “true S-VHS”  You get what you pay for.

Apple seems to have decent prices now, I don’t think they will risk a good selling product just to beat a price on a PC.

Apple won’t fall, they have too much of an education market for one thing… and people are getting more and more sick of Gates’s crap, I’m one of them, they don’t want to learn Linux… so Apple delivers.  Apple also won’t fall because they are becoming more and more popular for what were made famous for - “multimedia.”  Remember when that term was new (for computers) back in the early nineties?  Mac did that way before then, so did Commodore (the Amiga), Apple is going to be A-OK.

Apple is already a small part of the market, they are elite.  I hope they stay that way, I don’t want to see Apple become Microsoft, ever.

Boy, for not owning a Mac, I sure seem like an advocate.

J

• Posted: 13 June 2001 02:43 PM #12

what the hell is that “newbie” stuff under my name?

I’ve been around computers since 1980…

J

• Posted: 13 June 2001 02:57 PM #13

The “newbie” title refers to your Mac Observer Forum Rank.  More information is available in the FAQ: http://www.macobserver.com/forums/faq.php#ranks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Justin on 2001-06-13 20:35 ]</font>

Posted: 13 June 2001 03:51 PM #14

To follow up on Justin’s post: We are working on the rank system still.  The “Newbie” title is definitely NOT to meant to be offensive, but that’s why we are still working on it. 

We are very pleased to have you here in our forums, Jason. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 13 June 2001 04:03 PM #15

I am surprised that nobody mentioned the design. I find it, however far from perfect, interesting to look at. Will Apple’s next iMac take a similar if it goes LCD ? Or are they going to design something, again, radically different ?

Munger