Apple is doomed! Doomed!

Posted: 14 August 2005 02:36 PM

In this morning’s New Zealand Herald another potential patent infringement, this time Apple against Microsoft, as to who owns the rights to technology used in portable music players.

It was reported here last week, somewhere but I can’t find the reference to it right now, that Apple hadn’t patented the interface to the iPod. But it appears that Microsoft did.

Although Apple introduced the iPod in November 2001, it did not file a provisional patent application until July 2002, and a full application was filed only in October that year.

In the meantime, Microsoft submitted an application in May 2002 to patent some key elements of music players, including song menu software.

Apple’s take on it is predictable. And hopefully successful:

A spokeswoman said Apple would continue to try to get its patent recognised. The company could take the case to the patent office’s appeals board.

“Apple invented and publicly released the iPod interface before the Microsoft patent application was filed,” it said in a statement.

Why can’t they just be friends?

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 14 August 2005 04:43 PM #1

Of course, with a little more research I could have come up with this , which explains the situation better and balances the whole thing.

Still, my last question still stands.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming