Some people are soooo stupid

Posted: 27 September 2006 06:07 AM #16

One wonders what that did to the inside of the car.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 27 September 2006 07:44 AM #17

Re: Not quite a Darwin Award, but surely not far off…

[quote author=“LaurieF”]A man in Indiana who duct-taped what his girlfriend described as a “large mortar-style firecracker” to a football helmet he was wearing was badly hurt when it exploded.

And that young man ... was BMV head Joel Silverman ... and now you know ... the rest of the story.

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted: 19 October 2006 02:19 AM #18

Sydney woman makes carjack mistake

5.20am Thursday October 19, 2006

A Sydney woman whose alleged car-jacking attempt failed because she couldn’t drive a manual has been ordered into a detox programme until she reappears in court next month.

Sally Brennan, 20, allegedly pulled a woman driver from the car in the suburb of Miranda on Tuesday evening but was surprised when she found it was not an automatic.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 18 November 2006 06:44 PM #19

Far be it from me to spread - oh, sod it, this is too good.

A couple in Auckland were going to rent a marquee for their wedding. They decided that they didn’t like it. This is the response from the rental company: [quote author=“The Great Marquee Company”]Your wedding sounded cheap, nasty and tacky anyway, so we only ever considered you time wasters. Our marquees are for upper class clients which unfortunately you are not. Why don’t you stay within your class levels and buy something from Payless Plastics instead.

The CEO of the company has since changed the front page of their website to apologise. He has also sacked the email sender, umm, his wife.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10411458

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 15 December 2006 04:07 AM #20

Hunting

Only in Texas
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4401429.html
    They want to let the BLIND hunt. Not hunting in a blind. No, people who can’t see running around in the bush blasting away with firearms.

Signature

Posted: 15 December 2006 06:12 AM #21

Sheesh.

A small “sheesh” for you first, geoduck. Don’t worry, I DO agree with you. It’s just that blind people “running around in the bush blasting away with firearms” seems to be a bit of an exageration based on the article you provided.

And “sheesh” because it’s just a really bad idea. Although I try to understand the plight of disabled persons, I also don’t think it’s realistic to make everything available. What’s next? How about blind people driving? Why not? Just like hunting, they could be required to have a person with them who would say things like “you’re drifting to the right a little” or “the speed limit is 45 and you’re going 15” or “turn left on the count of three”.

Being an architect I’m very familiar with the ADA and the costs and compromises building owners must make for a very small percentage of the population. It’s mostly good, so I don’t want to sound too critical, but there are some things that just don’t make any sense. It’s worded differently now, but we once had to appeal a requirement to provide barrier free access to a mechanic’s pit in an oil change garage, which would’ve required an elevator. (Besides, those poor contractors can get so confused .)

But you’re right - only in Texas. And I cringe at the idea of a lawmaker saying “Golly, Bubba, I saw this really cool thing on TV last night so I’m gonna introduce a bill.” rolleyes

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

Posted: 15 December 2006 06:31 AM #22

After I posted I mentioned the article to a friend of mine and discovered that here in Minnesota they apparently already have the same thing. Not being a hunter, I didn’t know that. I thought they were smarter up here.

To me, the idea of having a laser sight and a spotter isn’t going to help. It’s one thing to get advice on a stationary target, but when a pheasant comes out of the brush the guy with the gun will fire at the sound, there won’t be time for someone to tell them ‘to the left’ ‘up a bit’ ‘right there’. As we all learned from the Vice President this year, you need to see the target before you fire.

The ADA is a great concept. It allowed us to justify a 24” LCD for one of our users. She’s sight impaired but can still work with the screen set on 800x600 and sitting 6” away. Without ADA she would be out of a job and we would have lost a really talented person. But you’re right, there had to be a lot of refinement, both legislative and through the courts, before it really began to do what was intended.

Signature

• Posted: 15 December 2006 06:51 AM #23

Re: Hunting

[quote author=“geoduck”]They want to let the BLIND hunt. Not hunting in a blind. No, people who can’t see running around in the bush blasting away with firearms.

Well, they let the lame run for office and the brainless vote, so why not? This is the beaux idyll of the political correctness movement and the civil service: you cannot exclude people based on competence. Thus explaining my US representative, Moms Mabley.

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted: 15 December 2006 07:16 AM #24

Didn’t Tom Lehrer say something very much like that when he was introducing his song “It Makes A Fellow Proud To Be A Soldier”?

Signature

Posted: 15 December 2006 08:04 AM #25

tbone1 wrote:

This is the beaux idyll of the political correctness movement and the civil service: you cannot exclude people based on competence.

:o Does that mean that just anybody can run the reactors here -  - whether they are competent or not? This is a government agency. Sounds like a civil service job to me. :wink:

Posted: 15 December 2006 08:27 AM #26

Say Bubba, I got’s me an ider. I’ll bring in some fry and stock that there tank of water with the ree-actor in it. Why then we’d be able to go fishin’  and when we catch em’ they’d come out cooked now wouldn’t they. Maybe that’s the reason they call it a Fishin’ ree-actor.

Signature

• Posted: 15 December 2006 03:50 PM #27

Previously posted on my blog…

A kidnap attempt goes horribly w0rng!

Signature

Posted: 15 December 2006 05:49 PM #28

Ya know, I think it’s just as well he’s less likely to reproduce now.

Signature

Posted: 30 January 2007 04:29 AM #29

Oh, yeah that’s who robbed the place

A man was caught after robbing several drug stores in this area.
    http://wcco.com/crime/local_story_029235425.html
    On his last robbery someone recorded his license plate number and gave it to police. The police figured out who it was and called him on the phone. They told him that his car had been involved in a robbery and could he come down to clear himself of any involvement. The robber drove himself down to meet the cops, who promptly arrested him.

Oh, yeah that’s right. I was the one who drove my car to Walgreens and robbed the place.

Signature

• Posted: 05 February 2007 11:50 AM #30

The other day at work, I received a sales call and they launched into their set of questions.  I politely replied, “I’m sorry, we’re not allowed to participate in surveys.”  The response from the other end was, “This isn’t a survey, I’m just asking you a few questions.”  After a few seconds of stunned silence, I hung up before I could laugh in the poor guy’s earpiece.

The other favorite was when Verizon had a main fiber line cut, our phone and T1 was down, and we were asked to, “send out an e-mail to let everyone know that the internet was down.”  “We can’t.” “Why not?”  “Because the internet and phone connection is down.”  “Well, have you called anybody to let them know?”

Signature

I’m out of time, patience and my mind… but I have plenty of excuses.