Some people are soooo stupid

Posted: 09 February 2007 06:33 PM #31

Most of the “Some people are soooo stupid” stories are “oh deary me” funny, or “D’oh” silly. But sometimes you come across one where somebody is dangerously ignorant and stupid.

You may be aware of an incident that happened early on in the current Iraq war, where American planes shot up a British convoy, killing one soldier and injuring another. The lead pilot has been promoted(!), the video was covered up until recently, and there’s quite a bit of understandably angry comment in the British press and elsewhere right now.

The pilots involved have expressed their remorse, but the neighbour of one of them was interviewed and came out with unbelievably incendiary rubbish: “He is a hero, and it’s a damn good thing we have heroes like him in the United States to do the fighting we have to do against terrorists around the world and you guys better get on board and that whole damn country of yours and along with the rest of Europe. You’re going to go merrily sucking your thumb like you did in World War 2.

“We don’t need your damn help, we need your cooperation, that’s all we need out of you guys, that’s all, and it’s hard even to get that. We know you can’t shoot, move and communicate but we sure as hell like your cooperation anyway.”

I’m certain that uninformed fools like this are in the minority; I’m concerned as hell that they exist in the first place.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 12 February 2007 04:11 AM #32

Unfortunately that kind of moron is not far enough in the minority.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 26 February 2007 06:30 AM #33

Here’s one for the “needless loss of life” category:
    [quote author=“Associated Press”]11 Dead, Over 100 Hurt at Kite Flying Festival in Pakistan

Monday, February 26, 2007

LAHORE, Pakistan —  At least 11 people died and more than 100 people were injured at an annual spring festival in eastern Pakistan celebrated with the flying of thousands of colorful kites, officials said Monday.

The deaths and injuries were caused by stray bullets, sharpened kite-strings, electrocution and people falling off rooftops on Sunday at the conclusion of the two-day Basant festival, said Ruqia Bano, spokeswoman for the emergency services in the city of Lahore.

The festival is regularly marred by casualties caused by sharp kite strings or celebratory gunshots fired into the air. Kite flyers often use strings made of wire or coated with ground glass to try to cross and cut a rival’s string or damage the other kite, often after betting on the outcome.

Authorities temporarily lifted a ban on kite flying that was imposed following a string of deaths at the festival last year. Lahore Mayor Mian Amier Mahmood said the two-day permission to fly kites ended Sunday and that the ban has been re-imposed.

Police arrested more than 700 people for using sharpened kite strings or firing guns, and seized 282 illegally held weapons during this year’s festival, said Aftab Cheema, a senior Lahore police officer.
    Five of those who died on Sunday were hit by stray bullets, including a 6-year-school boy who was struck in the head near his home in the city’s Mazang area, Bano said.

A 16-year-old girl and a school boy, 12, died after their throats were slashed by metal kite strings in separate incidents. Two people were electrocuted while they tried to recover kites tangled in overhead power cables, Bano said.

A 13-year-old boy fell to his death from the roof of his home as he tried to catch a stray kite, and a 35-year-old woman fell off the roof of her home trying to stop her son from running after a stray kite, Bano said.

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

Posted: 08 March 2007 03:33 PM #34

They’ve stolen my marijuana!

A woman who called Napier police this morning to report a burglary became so upset she broke down in tears - although the police communications officer who took the initial call couldn’t stop smiling.

The call left senior sergeant Mal Lochrie shaking his head as he explained that the woman had called to report the theft of three marijuana plants which she had growing in pots outside.

She also bitterly complained that it was the fourth year in a row someone had sneaked on to her Ahuriri property and made off with her marijuana plants.

Mr Lochrie said the woman told the communications operator she was a good person and was sick and tired of “low-lifes” stealing her things.

“The community constable is going around to see her later to have a bit of a chat,” Mr Lochrie said.

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 15 March 2007 05:33 AM #35

OK here’s another “just how stupid are todays kids” news story.
    http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_074075832.html
    The police were tipped of to the illegal activities this kid was involved with when he posted pictures of his marijuana plants on his MySpace page complete with a note as to where they were in the house. He also wrote about his drug activities and gang associations. I’m sure all of this will be used at his trial.

Signature

Posted: 13 April 2007 12:46 PM #36

Phone Virus

No one has actually gotten hurt over this
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016500&source=NLT_PM&nlid=8
    In Pakistan, apparently someone sent out a message saying that people were dying from a computer virus transmitted by cell phone. Panic has ensued.

Signature

Posted: 29 October 2009 07:00 PM #37

Officials in Maine are getting their knickers in a twist over an English lemonade that is alchoholic. That is, it contains 0.5% alchohol. Not 5%, 0.5%. Good luck getting even slightly tipsy on that.

It is not a laughing matter in Houlton, Maine, where police chief Butch Asselin asked the state’s liquor licensing authorities to determine if the Victorian-style lemonade could legally be sold to minors.

“It wasn’t so much that we were trying to give [...] a black eye,” he said. “We just want to make parents aware it contains alcohol. I’ve never had it, it’s probably very good, but their website says it can be used for mixed drinks.”

He pointed out that nonalcoholic beers with similar residual alcohol content cannot be dispensed to minors under Maine law.

The police chief is also concerned because a Google search of Victorian lemonade turned up recipes calling for it to be made with gin. He is concerned young people will read those recipe and add gin to their [...]

The cynic in me is wary about publicising the name of the company, on the off-chance that this is a marketing hoax. I’m inclined to believe it though. Sigh.

[wanders off to have a stiff drink]

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 05 July 2010 10:26 PM #38

Yesterday morning, because I had forgotten to set the alarm, I slept in an extra 45 minutes. I quickly showered, dressed, kissed my egg and tapped my wife on the head (joke), picked up the dog, put her in the car and headed off to the doggy-day-care place.

Safely ensconced with her little puppy mates, I ran across the road and stood in barely-above-freezing temperatures for the bus to turn up. Five minutes later, one came around the corner and I flagged for it to stop. The driver flashed the lights and indicated that he was full. Fool. It wasn’t. Made mental note to complain to the bus company. It won’t make any difference, but it’ll make me feel slightly better.

Next bus - no problem. And less than twenty minutes later I wandered into a shop to pick up the morning paper. “How’s your day been so far?” [I hate that. But I wasn’t going to let on how I felt about bus drivers: he wouldn’t care, and it’s none of his business]

“I’ve been out of bed for 45 minutes - how can my day have been anything so far?”

“Awesome!”

Pillock. And you need a shower.

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 27 December 2010 02:43 AM #39

R.C. Gaitlin, 21, walked up to two patrol officers who were showing their squad car computer equipment to children in a Detroit neighborhood. When he asked how the system worked, the officer?s asked him for a piece of identification. Gaitlin gave them his driver?s license, they entered it into the computer, and moments later they arrested Gaitlin because information on the screen showed Gaitlin was wanted for a two-year-old armed robbery in St. Louis, Missouri.

Posted: 15 August 2011 07:22 PM #40

From the Otago Daily Times:
    Police did not need dogs to track two alleged burglars 12 blocks through Oamaru yesterday - they followed footprints in the snow.

Senior Constable Bruce Dow said a 39-year-old man and a 17-year-old youth were caught out by the “oldest trick in the book”.

Police were called about 3.15am after a burglary at the Itchen Street Dairy and followed the trail to Orwell St, where the two were apprehended.

Dairy owner Kerry Tong, who lives above the store with his wife and two young children, said he was woken by the sound of someone trying to break the shop’s front window.

But he found the window intact and no sign of any offenders.

After he had returned upstairs, he heard glass breaking, so called police.

He watched two men fleeing with two boxes of ice creams.

Mr Tong, who moved to Oamaru with his family four and a-half years ago, said he was “scared we would be hurt”.

The pair have been charged with burglary and released on bail.

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 28 August 2012 07:48 PM #41

+

Another for “needless loss of life” category:

Man Killed While Trying to Create Bigfoot Sighting

A man dressed in a military-style “ghillie” suit and apparently trying to provoke reports of a Bigfoot sighting in northwest Montana was struck by two cars and killed, authorities said.

The man was standing in the right-hand lane of U.S. Highway 93 south of Kalispell on Sunday night when he was hit by the first car, according to the Montana Highway Patrol. A second car hit the man as he lay in the roadway, authorities said.

Flathead County officials identified the man as Randy Lee Tenley, 44, of Kalispell. Trooper Jim Schneider said motives were ascertained during interviews with friends, and alcohol may have been a factor but investigators were awaiting tests.

“He was trying to make people think he was Sasquatch so people would call in a Sasquatch sighting,” Schneider told the Daily Inter Lake (http://bit.ly/PWJvA5) on Monday. “You can’t make it up. I haven’t seen or heard of anything like this before. Obviously, his suit made it difficult for people to see him.”

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com