Microsoft settles and Apple suffers: Maybe its poetic justic

• Posted: 27 November 2001 12:21 PM

Tis a sad time in Cupertino - a couple days ago one would have thought that Apple finally acheived some traction outside of the traditional Mac market. We were seeing articles in the computing press about their appeal to former Mac users and a generally positive profile for most new Mac products (OSX, iPod, iBook) then today the boom fell. Microsoft settled a class-action lawsuit with a near perfect PR and marketing coup with all the elements. The community benefits - low income schools (representing I hear 14% of all the nations schools) to get extensive largesse from the Redmond behemoth in the form of Windows-centric hardware and software and 5 year commitment to maintain the arrangement to boot. Microsoft made to pay a ‘price’ for previous ‘sharkish’ sales behaviour thereby satisfying -the ‘man’. Low income people get access and who can fault that?

The fact that Apple which lives or dies by the educational market suddenly has a huge problem is terrible irony indeed. In a way I am pleased as punch - not because I like MS - indeed I do not like them at all (though I love XP and 2000 ). I am pleased because I think it is so fitting that Apple the high-price leader in desktop technology is going to be forced at last to scramble to justify their high prices for pretty common technology. Make no mistake - this is huge; Microsoft and its partners (especially Dell/Compaq/Gateway) now has an opportunity to become indispensible to a large slice of Apple’s ‘hoped for’ market segment and you better believe they will take it. Not only that BUT the Dells of this world will use this oppotunity as a spring-board to offer attractive deals to schools that do not fall under the purview of this settlement, we are talking more affluent school districts. On top of all this MS is armed with XP and in spite of what most Mac users think XP is significant since the so hated Activation gimmick is NOT a part of corporate or academic roll outs. I work at a university and I got my copy for under $20 by virtue of MS enterprise liscencing and this copy needs no activation nor is it restricted to single machine installs - this more than likely will apply to schools that will benefit from this deal. The many new MS individual and institutional dependents is really the biggest dividend for MS here - MS will extend marketshare at the expense of both the Mac and Linux. The battle for Apple’s survival is now joined with a vengeance if this deal is allowed to stand as is. To make matters worse - Dell just retook the No.1 in education spot from Apple - says IDC. If you think it was proving difficult to move from 4.5& to 5.0% for Apple - watch them struggle to avoid dropping to 3% by next year.

These are interesting times indeed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nico on 2001-11-21 11:36 ]</font>

Signature

iconoclast: n. one who challenges cherished beliefs and/or objects of veneration; image-wrecker; anti-cultist

“TRUTH FREES BUT CAN OFFEND”

• Posted: 20 November 2001 10:08 PM #1

This is all I have to say:

In OS X and its decendants, the Macintosh Operating Environment will never die. It will continue, even after Apple has long since perished. My grandchildren will play with Macintosh Computers, possibly even ones that I own today if their relative durability at this point is any indication.

Call me a fanatic, call me a zealot. The truth is, I stand with a corporation willing to stake its future on the potential of open source software. This means that, even in the nightmare scenario of Apple going away, Darwin will never die. As long as this remains true,  the Mac will live on.

3%? I still wonder if 30% of that 3% would even be worthy of mac ownership

Signature

Homer (to Chinese guide): You guys are Commies? Then why am I seeing rudimentary free markets?
    Chinese Audience: (massive collective sushh sound)
    -Simpsons, Season 16 Episode 12

Posted: 21 November 2001 06:07 AM #2

Please reference these articles. I couldn’t find anything on IDG.net referencing Dell reclaiming the #1 spot, nor any news that the settlement is finalized. It is merely a proposal right now. In fact, Red Hat has made a counter proposal: That Microsoft spend it’s money investing in hardware, and Red Hat will provide the Open Source software for free.

http://www.idg.net/ic_732865_1794_9-10000.html

I understand that you play the role of Devil’s Advocate on here, but a few links to your quoted information can’t hurt your case.

My 2 cents? Apple’s in a rebuilding period right now, preparing for the major marketing push. MacOSX was finalized, polished, and began receiving applications. Apple Stores started opening as a direct sales method. Apple began shipping the iPod as a showcase for it’s use of vertical integration. Right now the problem lies with the available processors for Mac systems, which hopefully will be solved by MacWorld SF. It’s my hope that Apple gets new systems and the last in-house applications like Final Cut developed for MacOS X, and start marketing. If that happens, they’ll be in an excellent position to increase market share. As long as the bottom dosen’t fall out of the economy, that is.

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KitsuneStudios on 2001-11-21 10:09 ]</font>

Signature

-Jon Roth

• Posted: 21 November 2001 12:03 PM #3

Yes, the Mac will never die. Whether their market share drops or not, Apple will live on. There are too many hardcore Mac-supporters to even let Apple go out of bussiness if they shrinked. There is too much of a use for Macs in this world, even if not everyone uses them.

Signature

"Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Posted: 27 November 2001 12:21 PM #4

I don’t want to be acused of beating a dead horse, (or a dead topic) but it still has some kick in it apparently. Enjoy:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0111/27.settlement.php

Signature

-Jon Roth