What version of Windows do you run? :-)

• Posted: 03 July 2001 03:00 PM

We’ve all talked to at least one PC user who hates the Mac. If youa ask them what version of the Mac OS they were running when they concluded their hatred of things Macintosh, I’ll bet that many of them will reply with a version of the Mac OS that is several versions older that whatever the latest version of Mac OS is (don’t get me started about what Mac they were running).

Let me turn this to us, now: Many of us have to use Windows at work, at school, and (heaven forfend) at home. What version of Windows do you use, if you use it at all?

I’m typing this on on a 233 Mhz Compaq Armada 7400, running Windows 95a.

Hey, I’m just shooting for 1000 posts

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 29 June 2001 10:02 PM #1

I’ve used Windows 2000 a little at work, though we mostly have Macs there.  2000 isn’t that bad, however.

The version that really helped me realize the horrors of the PC world is Windows 98 at my friend’s house.  I never particularly liked PCs, but after that experience I had a real reason for it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-30 01:03 ]</font>

• Posted: 30 June 2001 05:51 AM #2

For almost a year I had used Windows NT 4.0. This past year I have been on Windows 95, with a Toshiba Tecra 8100 (600 mhz laptop). Nice computer, but sometimes erratic behavior. Not much choice though when the intranet is 70,000+!

99% of my work is with Excel 97 and Access 97, so the Toshiba does fine.

Signature

patience - now that’s a virtue I can’t wait for!

• Posted: 30 June 2001 05:54 AM #3

Until recently I was using Windows 98.  Now they bought me a brand not-so-spankin new 1GHz P3 machine running Windows NT Service Pack 6.  The IT director at work has refused to upgrade to Windows 2000 or Windows ME or Windows XP, for that matter.  He had a couple of bad experiences with 2000 on his laptop and he won’t update because its not stable enough.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 02 July 2001 10:42 PM #4

At work, Windows 98 Second Edition on a Compaq Presario 4510 ES (Education Special, I guess) with a Pentium MMX at 166 MHz, with 64 MB RAM and a 3 Gig HD. The machine came with W95 originally ... more on that below.

At home, W98 SE on Virtual PC 4.whatever the latest update was. The lead character is an iMac Graphite SE at 400 MHz with 192 MB RAM and 13 GB HD.

Both machines have Office 2000, although the work machine began life with Office 97. Have done all the usual Windows Updates via Internet Exploiter, and the Office suite is updated to Service Release 2.

My main piece of advice to any Mac user who has to deal with Windows? When MS brings out a new version of the Windows OS, do not - repeat DO NOT - try to save a few bucks by purchasing the “Update” version rather than the “Full Install for a New PC” version. You would curse your cheapness every time you had to reinstall Windows, which would be at least yearly in order to keep things stable,and could be MONTHLY if you use a lot of trialware-shareware-freeware or have a troublesome update to a commercial app.

There is NO easy way to do a clean install while preserving your current system. You would have to go through essentially two installations - one for the original OS(95) and one for the Update OS(98SE) in my case. Then, install your latest version of Office with whatever permutation of installation options you need, update to SR1, then update to SR2. Etcetera for all of your other apps and their updates, and finally for your documents and archives from backup disks. As far as I know, there are no Windows equivalents for Conflict Catcher or Clean-Install Assistant which make it easy for We Of The Mac Faithful to migrate our previous settings and additions into a clean-install System Folder.

• Posted: 03 July 2001 06:44 AM #5

I run Windows 2000 with service Pack 2. After a year and a half I’m finally thinking I need to wipe my system and reload because of some irrigularities in what the computer is doing (not crashes, just taking longer to do certain things). This has been the most stable OS that MS has produced (even more stable than Windows NT 4.0 IMHO). The visual enhancements are better than any version I have seen yet (though ME does some of the same features, just not as well or as snappy). I know that XP is based on the Windows 2000 platform and cant wait to see what they do with that (release date October 25, 2001). The beta I have seen has one of the sweetest login processes I have ever seen even from 3rd party programs.

One program I like to run on my Win2K system is Litestep. Replaces the explorer.exe as the Shell and changes the way the system works all together. For those that want a true Mac experience on the PC you might want to look into this. But, be warned, its considered beta and is very difficult to setup. The enhancements however can make your system act the way you want, even down to making the PC look and act like a Mac with the proper coding.

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 03 July 2001 06:49 AM #6

Oops….forgot to post URL for Litestep

http://www.litestep.net (Official site)
    http://floach.pimpin.net (my fav…has lots of shell replacements)
    http://www.ls2k.org (Dedicated to running Litestep on Win2K)

Signature

Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 03 July 2001 11:28 AM #7

extell, you almost sound like you actually LIKE using W2K. That is unacceptable in this forum

Rodney O. Lain, somewhere in Minnesota…
    “My other computer is a Mac… oh, wait a minute. So is my first one!”

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 03 July 2001 03:00 PM #8

Umm….....
    Do I even need to put a comment here? :?
    I’m a PC user at heart. I just work on Macs because its my job.

Dont get me wrong….I think Macs are kewl and all…..I just like my PC better. Grew up on PC’s. Windows 2000 Rules!

Signature

Growing up is optional.