iMac with CD-ROM, DVD or CD-RW ??

• Posted: 30 June 2001 01:54 PM

Hi,

Altough it seems to be obvious, I would like to make some points before receiving any reply:

First, Lets forget the differences in the computer itself (like CPU clock speed, RAM installed, etc… ). Lets consider only the drive itself:

I used to have iMac DV SE and a USB burner. The good thing about it was that I could copy CDs directly. It seems that with an inside CD-RW we have to make CD images all the time (wasting the time twice as much). The DVD drive I had was used a very few times to watch some movies (c?mon, the iMac screen is terrible (too small) to watch movies, specialy those in wide screen format).

I have never seen any software distributed in DVD. I really don?t see this in the future…

So, my point is: if I could buy the topline iMac (600MhZ) but with a CD-ROM instead of CD-RW, I would. And better than a USB burner, I would spend a few more bucks and buy a FireWire one (faster, much faster).

So, I would like some oppinions about this issue… Mainly because we cannot order an topline imac with CD-ROM…

Many thanks

Rafael

Signature

————————-
    Rafael Perini
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

• Posted: 30 June 2001 02:06 AM #1

If the iMac follows Apple’s recent move with the iBook, there very well may be basically one configuration across the board, with different optical drive options.  In this situation, you could get what would still be the high end model, but with a CD drive, and use your external writer with it.

Currently, one option would be to use a cheap external CD drive to reverse roles with what you are proposing.  New plain CD-ROM drives are rare for USB/FireWire (if they exist) but if you already have a SCSI-USB or SCSI-FireWire adaptor, you could easily use it to hook up an old external CD-ROM drive, and copy from that to your internal CD-RW drive.

• Posted: 30 June 2001 01:54 PM #2

On 2001-06-30 05:06, David Nelson wrote:

Currently, one option would be to use a cheap external CD drive to reverse roles with what you are proposing.  New plain CD-ROM drives are rare for USB/FireWire (if they exist) but if you already have a SCSI-USB or SCSI-FireWire adaptor, you could easily use it to hook up an old external CD-ROM drive, and copy from that to your internal CD-RW drive.

That was a cool idea! And if it is hard to find an external CD-ROM (USB or FW), maybe would be interesting buying a esternal DVD burner (now the DVD would have some utility: like burning HomeVideos with iMovie/Toast Titanium and enjoy the movie in a big screen…).

Looking forward for the MWNY! I can?t tell ya!

Rafael

Signature

————————-
    Rafael Perini
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)