Huge buying advice*

• Posted: 03 July 2001 10:50 AM

Ok. This is a multi-faceted question that involves my upcoming powerbook purchase.

The background:

I am saving for a tibook. I’ll be happy with the 400mhz 10gb hard drive to start and upgrade the drive later when I need to. I was saving and planning to buy around Christmas.

But, I can’t overlook Apple’s free CDRW offer. The retail value of the thing is $300+ and frankly, I’d be very happy with the slot loading DVD and the external CDRW to use when I need to. In other words, I don’t plan to be burning CDs every minute, so I can take out the portable and do it from there without any complaints.

On to my questions.

1. IF I do this, which I am now leaning toward, I gave myself a self-imposed Sept. 1. deadline. That gives me two-full months to decide. I KNOW that MacWorld NY is coming and that nothing is expected to be introduced as far as the powerbook goes, but if something comes in September at the next expo, I could miss out on what’s new or upgraded. I realize that, and that’s why I want to know WOULD YOU BUY NOW??

2. Where to buy from? If I buy here in Pennsylvania in the second week of August, there is no sales tax thanks to the biannual tax-free computer week. But, I get no free memory as I would from a catalog company like MACMALL or MACCONNECTION, etc. Are these catalog companies good to buy from? Would you? Is it safe? How bout shipping and safety? How about the condition of the package when it arrives? What I am thinking is that for what the catalog places offer in terms of free memory, it beats whatever deal I could get just by going into a big store like COMPUSA? Am I right? Wrong?

ALSO, if I buy from a catalog company, can I make sure that I don’t get a model that had all the problems in the past? Or are all those gone and now we are up to the more recently made ones? You all see my concern, right?

Those are my two big questions for right now. If anyone knows of something else I should be asking, please let me know. I am very concerned about doing this exactly right, considering the huge amount of money i am about to shed.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Scott

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 30 June 2001 05:05 PM #1

I bought my iMac DV SE from ClubMac back in November of 99, and all was fine.  They gave me a little discount, and the shipping was much cheaper than Apple’s.

• Posted: 30 June 2001 06:02 PM #2

So you had a good experience ... that’s a good start to the replies. I’m glad to hear about that. Do you agree, though, Justin, or whoever, that you just can’t beat what they give you? The memory, etc.? And you said it best—the shipping was much less. And I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have to pay tax, and that certainly helps the overall bill, too.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 03 July 2001 07:36 AM #3

On the topic of where to buy:

If you don’t want to customize your machine in any special way (meaning you don’t need the Apple Store Online), I’d recommend the catalogs. Decide exactly what specs you want, then get quotes from two or three of the major vendors: MacMall, MacWarehouse, Club Mac, Mac Zone, et cetera.

Then spend 15 minutes making rounds of calls to each vendor getting them to outbid each other. See what extras you can get (RAM, faster shipping), or how much they’ll reduce the price. You’d be surpised how much you can save.

Good luck! (Oh, and I’d also wait until late August to buy if I were you.)

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 03 July 2001 10:50 AM #4

Ricky: Very good advice. A few things:

* No, I don’t need the Apple store. I want a tibook 400 with 10gb hard drive. I’m happy with the way it is.

*I have started calling and e-mailing the catalog companies, mostly to make sure that I wont get a January tibook with DVD problems and all that. two of them said all are new stock while one told me they can’t promise me a perfect one and that old stock isn’t distinguishable from new stock. Is that true? Does it say anywhere on the box about when it was manufactured? Or is this really an unknown and a chance you take?

* I am waiting until August for sure. I want it by Sept. 3 to take advantage of the CDRW offer. All I have to do is purchase it by Sept. 3, right? Not take possession, of, I would imagine. Just call and order it, right?

Thanks.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA