The Best SciFi Book Ever

Posted: 22 July 2001 07:14 AM

There are two series that I consider to be the best SciFi ever written, and they are the Dune books and Dan Simmons’ four Hyperion and Endymion books.

This is the Hyperion thread.

Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion are the two best SciFi books ever penned, and I mean that most sincerely.  They were written as one book, as I understand it, and the publisher broke them up into two novels.  For that reason, I am counting them as one in this thread.

Hyperion tales an ongoing story by having 7 people recount their pasts, and I personally am amazed by an author who can pull that off.  Even more amazing is that each of those characters has their own voice and personality, something that is even more rare IMNHO.  When I read Hyperion the first time, I was angry when I got close to the ending because the universe Mr. Simmons created was so incredible that I wanted to keep on reading in perpetuity.

I was so blown away by the book that I thought the second book, The Fall of Hyperion, would not live up to that standard.  I was therefor even more stunned when it blew the first book away.  I can not recommend these books more strongly to anyone with even a passing interest in reading either SCiFi or even “just plain good novels.”  You will not be disappointed.

What sent me off on this tonight was talking to someone I casually know at a party.  I had suggested he read Hyperion because he was looking for a good book to read.  He spent about 20 minutes thanking me for getting him to read it because he is enjoying it that much.  That has been the reaction of everyone who has picked it up at my suggestion.  Go read it. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 02 July 2001 06:22 AM #1

And from the sub category, Cyberspace Related: NEUROMANCER, by William Gibson ISBN 0-441-56959-5 Copyright 1984

• Posted: 02 July 2001 08:51 AM #2

I enjoyed Isaac Asimov’s Robots of Dawn.  I must admit, though, I have no read many science fiction books.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Justin on 2001-07-02 11:53 ]</font>

• Posted: 03 July 2001 04:27 AM #3

Wow, you mean pick just one?

I’d have to choose Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein.

Not because it’s the best story (it’s not) or the best written (ditto,) but because it’s one of those rare books which changes people. It really doesn’t matter who you are, something in this book will challenge your thinking. Every person I’ve known to read it has had strong opinions about it, whether they were enlightened, horrified, inspired or argumentative. It’s just not the sort of book you can read and then ignore.

But mostly, I like it because it expresses the value of iconoclasm.

-Jeff Kievlan

• Posted: 03 July 2001 11:32 AM #4

Ender’s Game

Anything by Octavia Butler

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 03 July 2001 03:01 PM #5

While I don’t suggest you run out and read a random book of the many Star Wars books out there, one authors works in the Star Wars universe are among the best of the Sci-Fi books I’ve read.  There are five books (a trilogy and then a follow-up “duelogy” as I like to call it) by Timothy Zahn.  They are the best of all the Star Wars books.  Everything else pales in comparison.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 20 July 2001 05:21 PM #6

I’d go for The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by the late Douglas Adams
    (as he put it a trilogy of four )

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver

• Posted: 21 July 2001 08:44 PM #7

although Dune has been one of my favorites since 1974 or so[same for Hitchhikers], I must put in a plug for Timeline by Michael Crichton. Knights, ladies and quantum physics!

sosumi

• Posted: 22 July 2001 07:14 AM #8

This is a book that’s wayyyyy obscure, but it’s The Book of the Night, by Rhoda Lehrmann.  It’s chilling and empowering and just… cool.

Neuromancer also kicks booty.  Idoru was excellent, too.

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.