Power Base 200 "? Disk"

Posted: 13 June 2001 10:46 AM

[Admin Note: This thread has been transplanted from our old forums. This post was originally made by Tom Stocks.]

Dave,

Please help me. I own a Power Computing Power Base 200.

I am currently running 8.6 on it. I also have a USB card in one of the PCI slots.

My problem is that upon start up I get the question mark disk icon. I can’t get the computer to start up from the hard drive. So I put the original system cd in when I get the question mark disk and tried scaning the bus for the hard drive using the utitilities supplied and or scsi probe. The computer does not see the hard drive at all.

I had this problem a few years back and I can not recall how I resolved it. Can you help?

Thanks,
    Tom Stocks

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 13 June 2001 10:46 AM #1

On 2001-06-13 08:50, Tom Stocks wrote:
    Dave,

Please help me. I own a Power Computing Power Base 200.

I am currently running 8.6 on it. I also have a USB card in one of the PCI slots.

My problem is that upon start up I get the question mark disk icon. I can’t get the computer to start up from the hard drive. So I put the original system cd in when I get the question mark disk and tried scaning the bus for the hard drive using the utitilities supplied and or scsi probe. The computer does not see the hard drive at all.

I had this problem a few years back and I can not recall how I resolved it. Can you help?

Thanks,
    Tom Stocks

Tom—you should do a few things:

[list]
    [*]Try removing EVERY peripheral and expansion card from the machine.
    [*]Make sure the hard drive is plugged in to both the power supply and the logic board, and make sure the cable going to the logic board is aligned properly (red on pin 1)
    [*]Put your hand on the drive when you turn on the computer and see if you can feel it power up properly.
    [/list:u]

If these steps don’t work, then I suggest trying the drive in another machine.

-Dave

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.