Termination of a great feature.

• Posted: 05 July 2001 06:46 AM

It seems that Apple, very quietly, eliminated a feature when it released OS 9.1. ARAP, or Apple Remote Access Protocol just disappeared.
    For those who have never used it, imagine writing on a powerbook out in the field and needing to send the story in to a server. You simply use the modem to dial up the server which is using ARAP. After connection, you use the chooser to select the proper volume/folder just like you were sitting in the office on the company network` (albeit much slower.)
    Setting this up for people who are not very tech-savvy was great, it was a perfect solution because the procedure was almost exactly the same as in the office.
    I’m not sure many of you out there use ARAP but at the newspaper I work for it is essential.
    And is now gone without explanation or apology. The only evidence of its demise is in this article:
    http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n106092
    It states that “The PPP protocol now performs this task more efficiently. Therefore, the ARAP protocol has been removed from Mac OS 9.1.”
    RUBBISH!
    Tell that to one of my users trying to learn yet another different way to transfer a file.

I’m very upset that Apple would eliminate some functionality from the OS. Especially without a similar technology in place? Where is the harm in having an extra protocol to use?

What do you think? Is there truly a more efficient and easier way to remotely transfer files to an Apple server? Please speak up.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 03 July 2001 04:01 PM #1

As an alternative you could turn on IP access for AppleShare.  That way, they can dial up to a normal Internet service and connect by specifying the IP address of your server in the Chooser.  They’d only need to do this once and from then on they can just make an alias of it to get easy access to the shared volume.

“ERROR 2393: HAXORS HAEV STOELN YUOR MEGAHURTZ!!!” - Jeff K.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-07-03 19:02 ]</font>

• Posted: 03 July 2001 06:25 PM #2

True, I’ll have to check the firewall setup and a few other things. I do remember having some trouble connecting that way though. I believe it had to do with the way my ip address was assigned over ppp.

Using ARAP is/was still the most elegant solution. No net congestion, no busy signals and the server didn’t have to be connected (through a firewall) to the internet. It only needed to be on the LAN.
    -D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Photodan on 2001-07-03 21:31 ]</font>

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 03 July 2001 09:32 PM #3

FYI, I have my router/firewall set up to allow AppleShare IP through, and the TCP/IP port for it is 548.  Hope that helps so you won’t have to spend time investigating to find out what port it is like I did.

Posted: 05 July 2001 06:46 AM #4

Hmm, I thought ARA was still available in 9.1.  I’ll look around where I saw the reference.