Gathering info for buying a tibook

• Posted: 05 July 2001 09:25 PM

Hi, everyone:

I just spoke to someone at MacZone about purchasing a tibook 400. I have some questions, if you all don’t mind:

1. I was told that this is the model number of their most recent shipment, which was May 29. Model No. M7952LL/A

Does anyone know if this is from the good or bad lot? I assume with a May 29 date that they are fine.

2. I was told that these machines ARE NOT preinstalled with OSX, but that I can get the upgrade form from the Apple website. is it odd that it is not preinstalled, or is this how many of you have been handling this?

3. 1 day shipment from Airborne express is $29.88. Is this a fair price? Seemed it to me. 6.68 for UPS Ground. 39.14 for Fed Ex…  23.79 for 3 day airborne.

Any thoughts on this? I am so worried about buying it without taking it home from my local store, but you can’t pass up the savings on the tax and on the RAM.

Also, would you install OSX by yourself or have a compusa do it? I know this is probably the dumbest question you’ve ever seen, but I have heard some serious woes about people trying to do it? Are those stories inflated to the point of absurdity, or should I consider such a move?

Thanks, as usual, for all the help.

Scottk

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 05 July 2001 12:32 PM #1

Hey Scott,

Check out Outpost.com.  They have a few different variations for you to choose from.  They have 256 Meg RAM free with free cd/rw ($2,595.00).

Shipping is:

UPS - Free
    Airborn 2nd Day - $13.22
    Airborn Next Day - Starts at $19.59

I used my mom’s PA zip code to get the above costs.  Yours might be slightly higher or lower.

I don’t know where in PA you are, but UPS would be the best deal since they deliver from Ohio (I think) and you would probably get it in a day or two.

I’ve ordered alot from them (G4 500 DP, 15” Studio Display LCD, CD-Burner, Soundsticks, etc.) and never had one problem.

• Posted: 05 July 2001 12:48 PM #2

You jump around from forum to forum pretty quickly, don’t you Scott? 

Well, now that you’re over here in the Buying forum I guess I’ll answer your question about having CompUSA install X.  I wouldn’t.  Now that’s just me, but I wouldn’t let anyone come within a mile of my TiBook.  I prefer to set up everything to my liking, and the process is VERY simple.  All you do is:  put the CD in and reboot, click agree on the license, click install, wait, reboot, enter the information it asks (like e-mail, username, password, time zone, etc.), and then your done.  Very simple.  Your in the Finder and custimizations are all up to you.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 05 July 2001 01:57 PM #3

Thanks, Brad. And yeah, I do get around. 25 miles per forum.

Anyhow, you are right on OSX install. I have been reading lots of your posts and the others as well and everyone seems to agree that it’s easy. the hardest part right now that I am wrestling with is to partition or not to partition. For everyone who says it’s the best thing to do, another says it’s a waste of time. Must be a personal preference and nothing more, really. I wonder what Apple says on the subject. Do they recommend it or are they indifferent?

So far, I like Macconnection the best of all the catalog companies I have talked to. They have newer computers, include a leather bag and have really good shipping prices.

Thanks again.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 05 July 2001 04:05 PM #4

I think (though I’m not sure on this) that Apple does not say which way is better, but confirms both as the “better options.”

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 05 July 2001 08:35 PM #5

Well, on the surface, it’s photodan’s idea that a lot of people seem to like. 3 partitions. 1 for OS9, 1 for X and classic and another small one for OS9 backup. that makes a lot of sense. I hope it’s one of those situations that sounds really hard to do but it so simple when you sit down to confront it.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 05 July 2001 08:45 PM #6

That’s a good solution, and very workable with your future 10GB HD portable pentium-crushing machine since you will be using external storage on that peerless drive you mentioned.  Don’t worry, its a pretty simple process.

Good luck!

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 05 July 2001 09:25 PM #7

Thanks, Brad. I’m not too worried. Well, about paying for it all, I am, but not the installation.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA