iBook or TiBook?

• Posted: 10 July 2001 04:24 PM

Since we already have some great discussion going on in another thread about desktops vs. portables, I have to ask the ultimate question on the portable side: iBook or TiBook?

Please explain why you would get one or the other.  This, from experience, is always a helpful thread when people are debating between two choices.

Personally, I would buy a TiBook, but not one of the current models.  From what Extell pointed out over at BareFeats, the FireWire performance would be a serious problem for me.  I will be waiting for the next revision and hopefully then the problems with the original will be worked out.

Now on to why I chose the TiBook.  I am a digital media designer by hobby and am currently studying such areas in school.  The majority of my time is spent in Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, 3-D Animation programs, Flash, Director/Fireworks, Dreamweaver, and LiveStage Professional.  Such programs require a bundle of screen real-estate, and only the TiBook offers that extra wide 1600X1200 (correct me if the numbers are wrong) screen.  In addition to this, many of these programs are currently optimized for the G4 processor or will be in the near future.  This is very important in order to remain productive.  And I guess I like the looks of the TiBook better than the iBook. 

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 03 July 2001 03:09 PM #1

I read a great review of the iBook vs the Titanium on:
    http://www.barefeats.com

Looks to me like the iBook is not that bad comparativly (sp?)

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 03 July 2001 03:30 PM #2

A topic that is right up my alley.

I finally decided this week that I am going to put aside the sensible part of me and buy the tibook. Can I afford it? Of course not. Do I want it? Of course.

But I, unlike Brad, am going to buy it before the next revision, and I have reasons to back up my statement.

1. I have read about this firewire performance issue that you are talking about, and I’ve heard that the tests those numbers and figures came from were flawed. I don’t remember where I read it, but I don’t think you’ll have any problems with speed using a tibook, whether it’s a 400 or 500 model.

2. Barefeats info is very interesting. And it is widely known that the tibook is really noticably faster when utilizing the altavec technology in programs such as photoshop, final cut pro, and even itunes. But if all you do is check email and post to macobserver forums, you should get an ibook

3. For someone like Brad, who does all that graphically-intensive work, the tibook is his best choice, in my opinion, however, I would not wait for a revision based on a few things that I read.

4. Think about this. Here is the way I decided that now is the time. Tell me that I don’t have a point here, ok? I’m going to compare what buying my tibook 400 from a catalog company would run compared to my tibook 400 from my local big-name retailer up the street. It’s approximate, but oh so close.

CATALOG:
    Computer: $2575
    256 mb RAM $30 (installation fee)
    Tax: $0
    Shipping: 1 day air express $29 (hey, for $29, why wait?)
    TOTAL: $2634.xx

STORE:

Computer: $2599
    256 mb RAM $89 plus $79 install fee
    Tax: $193.69
    Shipping: $0
    TOTAL: $2960.69

SAVINGS: $326.69

And add to that the fact that Apple is offering the external CDRW (I know it’s not the fastest one, but at a retail of $399 and for it’s size, it’s worth it. I’m not a big fan of the internal burner that may or may not be introduced at the expo later this month or in September. For me, when I burn a CD, I’ll take the little burner with me and put it on the table.)

And while it may or may not be extended at some point—more likely it will than won’t—the current promotion allows for a free upgrade to OSX through and including Aug. 21. they can’t discontinue that afterwards, but still it’s good to know.

I totally agree for the most part with Brad. He’s doing the right stuff to need this kind of computer. For me, by the way, I do newspaper design and am into digital photography. And I made my first imovie the other night. I could really get used to this, so the wide screen and speed are a plus for me.

Oh, yeah, Brad ... on the screen. It’s not 1600x1200. It’s 1152x768.

Regards,

Scottk

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 03 July 2001 04:11 PM #3

Great post, Scott.  Thanks for the correction on the numbers.  I must have been thinking of another display.

As for waiting for the next revision, for me its a timing thing both monetarily and need-based.  I figure that by the time I would be buying the machine it will be very late in the first model’s lifespan, so to me it seems logical for me to wait until that second revision comes around (which I bet will be between August and January).  I don’t have anything against the current model.  Like I said, I almost bought one.  I just feel that for me waiting is the best answer.

Regards,
    Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 03 July 2001 06:33 PM #4

You know what, waiting for me is the best idea, too. I mean, I have some of the money, but not all of it. I only wish I could be as sensible as you!

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 05 July 2001 07:53 PM #5

I purchased both a Ti Book and a new dual USB iBook.

The Ti Book is an excellent desktop replacement. Its big ticket is its wide screen. However, the keyboard “feel” is also first rate.

I understand that the AirPort may be “weak” to the extent that it meets, but doesn’t exceed, Apple’s minimum standards. However, I’ve had no problem with AirPort reception.

I also understand that the FireWire may be slower than on the new iBook. However, I do FireWire backups and they really do fly. When I used to do Ultra SCSI backups (circa 1998 or so) to a Jaz 2 drive I thought that was fast, but the FireWire appears faster. If you want to see slow, try a huge USB backup.

The new iBook is also excellent. It’s screen is headlight bright and it has a higher native resolution (and thus more screen real estate) than the former graphite, etc. iBooks.

The new iBook lives to be carried around: Your life, to go. It’s just the right size for my backpack.

Also, the new iBook running OS X (currently at 10.0.4) is an awesome sales tool for Apple. Anyone I’ve shown it to wants one. We may or may not like the bouncing icons on the dock, but to the uninitiated it’s too cool for words.

Signature

My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement. - Meg Ryan to Tom Hanks in Joe versus the Vo

• Posted: 05 July 2001 08:21 PM #6

Great post, Samuel ... it’s not often we hear from people who have both computers. Talk about being able to offer an opinion.

Do you carry your tibook around with you? Is it true that people stop and stare or is that more hype than anything else?

What kind of case do you have for it? There is this site called Jambags or something, and they are starting to sell this special new tibook case on July 15. Looks nice from the prototype. Just wondering what you prefer.

Scott

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 05 July 2001 11:40 PM #7

On 2001-07-05 23:21, scottk wrote:
    Great post, Samuel ... it’s not often we hear from people who have both computers. Talk about being able to offer an opinion.

You mean “talk about someone who has money” Right, Sam ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Michael Munger on 2001-07-06 02:46 ]</font>

• Posted: 06 July 2001 07:33 AM #8

That, too, Michael, that too.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 06 July 2001 10:45 AM #9

Do you carry your tibook around with you? Is it true that people stop and stare or is that more hype than anything else?

What kind of case do you have for it? There is this site called Jambags or something, and they are starting to sell this special new tibook case on July 15. Looks nice from the prototype. Just wondering what you prefer.

Scott

I don’t carry the Ti Book around although there is no reason why it can’t be. There is a new bag out for it that’s listed at the Apple Store.

I use the Ti Book as a desktop replacement and solely run OS X (10.0.4) on it. People who enter my office immediately notice it, stare at it and comment on it. While OS X with its dock and bouncing icons may not have much impact for long time Mac users, to the uninitiated it’s fantastic.

If you’re going to roam your house and grounds with a TiBook that’s where the problem may come in. Michael Munger described a salesperson showing him how if you tilt the Ti Book sideways it will turn off. In the interest of science I tried it myself and that’s exactly what happened. The new iBook, OTOH, wouldn’t turn off no matter how far sideways it was tilted.

The new iBook is what I carry around with me. I also use it solely for OS X . It’s screen is headlight bright (brighter teven han the TiBook’s) and it’s got great native resolution. It also gets shocked reactions from people who see it for the first time running OS X. I’m starting to believe the OS X is as much an industrial strength OS as it is a marketing tool (well, the Acqua interface anyway).

I don’t use a dedicated computer bag to tote around the iBook such as you might buy at the Apple Store, but rather I picked up a backpack made by a French company called Longchamp. It’s just the right size and I placed one of those foam inserts into it to keep the new iBook nice and safe. The Longchamp bag is very durable and looks really cool.

The only other electronic stuff I carry with me in the bag is a color Palm M505 (excellent) and a Nokia 8290 cell phone. Longchamp also has a little cell phone case that permits me to put a Jabra ear plug and wire in there with the phone.

The bottom line with respect to both the Ti Book and the new iBook, IMHO, is they’re not simply hype, but great portables.

• Posted: 06 July 2001 11:12 AM #10

On 2001-07-06 02:40, Michael Munger wrote:

You mean “talk about someone who has money” Right, Sam ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Michael Munger on 2001-07-06 02:46 ]</font>

I have the least amount of money so I’m careful with my purchases and only buy that which is useful to me. I run my wee business endeavor off the Macs. They have to be good or I could be living under a tree at any moment.

• Posted: 06 July 2001 11:17 AM #11

The prior two “anonymous” messages were obviously from me. It looks like I didn’t correctly enter my password.

Sorry if I inadvertently baffled anyone.

Signature

My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement. - Meg Ryan to Tom Hanks in Joe versus the Vo

• Posted: 06 July 2001 01:19 PM #12

That’s interesting that you talked about “the least amount of money.” I certainly am not rolling in dough by any stretch of the imagination.

I am looking at my upcoming tibook purchase as an investment rather than a toy.

My MP3 player? that’s a toy.
    My watch that tells time in 39 countries? That’s a toy.

My digital camera started out as a toy. And then I really got into photography and that’s one of the reasons I want a powerful laptop. Maybe there’s some money in this. Maybe there’s not. I don’t know. I’m willing to take my chances and see. I can’t go wrong either way, really. The computer will be valuable. People risk their money all the time on the stock market. I’m risking it in another way.

And consider this interesting fact if you will. Today, in the midst of all my research on where to buy the tibook from, I got a letter in the mail from my credit card company .... it reads ...“Congratuations. Your stellar credit history entitles you to a generous increase in your credit line. Please use this additional credit to buy something you have been meaning to buy. You deserve it.”

Almost like a fortune cookie, in which case, the fortune may have read ...“Man who buys laptop, one smart cookie.”

Scott

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 06 July 2001 01:20 PM #13

WHOA! All of a sudden I got two gold stars? I’m honored!

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 06 July 2001 08:48 PM #14

On 2001-07-06 16:19, scottk wrote:
    That’s interesting that you talked about “the least amount of money.” I certainly am not rolling in dough by any stretch of the imagination.

I am looking at my upcoming tibook purchase as an investment rather than a toy.

I hope I didn’t inadvertently sound strident by using the phrase “the least amount of money.” Michael has probably heard me say about 8000 times that I have a tree picked out to live under in case I have to on a moments notice. There is nothing wrong with having fun and toys in my book. In fact, having fun is a great aim of my existance.

My MP3 player? that’s a toy.
    My watch that tells time in 39 countries? That’s a toy.

My digital camera started out as a toy. And then I really got into photography and that’s one of the reasons I want a powerful laptop. Maybe there’s some money in this. Maybe there’s not. I don’t know. I’m willing to take my chances and see. I can’t go wrong either way, really. The computer will be valuable. People risk their money all the time on the stock market. I’m risking it in another way.

If you go on an extended vacation you might end up paying more for that than an iBook or TiBook. One thought I have about someone now purchasing a TiBook is whether at the MacWorld expo, or at least at some time soon, Apple will bump up its features. Whether that means CD-RW, Combo Drive, SuperDrive, more mhz, or even more hardware acceleration for OS X and games, I can’t say. OTOH, there may not even be any change.

And consider this interesting fact if you will. Today, in the midst of all my research on where to buy the tibook from, I got a letter in the mail from my credit card company .... it reads ...“Congratuations. Your stellar credit history entitles you to a generous increase in your credit line. Please use this additional credit to buy something you have been meaning to buy. You deserve it.”

Almost like a fortune cookie, in which case, the fortune may have read ...“Man who buys laptop, one smart cookie.”

Wow, you’re one charmed individual.

One thing I invariably do when I make a big ticket purchase like a computer is to buy it “hands on.” I make the store boot it up and I confirm as best I can that all is in order. This doesn’t mean that the Apple store isn’t a great thing; I’ve made some purchases from it, and I know Apple is counting a lot on it, but I do like to know the computer will actually start up.

I believe I recall reading, perhaps a year or so ago, that Dell laptops shipped with about an 8% defect rate. That’s high.

Apple laptops also seem to have a more minimalist design approach (like stream water making a rock smooth) than the complex design of the IBM T21 I have.  It’s fascinating to see the two very different design approaches to laptops between these major companies (Apple and IBM).

Signature

• Posted: 06 July 2001 11:06 PM #15

Michael has probably heard me say about 8000 times that I have a tree picked out to live under in case I have to on a moments notice.

I used to believe it, but now, I don’t buy it

One thing I invariably do when I make a big ticket purchase like a computer is to buy it “hands on.”

This is something that many seem to have lost. They like shopping without going to a physical store, and they purchase online, then wait for delivery. I personally don’t like doing that. You can count my online purchases on the fingers of two hands. I like the hands on experience. I like to look and see in person, talk to the salespeople. I think that it makes for better shopping than entering my credit card number in a browser form. I have online friends who almost find this strange, but I still go to stores, especially for computer stuff.