IMAC or ibook?

• Posted: 04 July 2001 09:46 PM

Would to get advice if I should buy an IMAC SE or
    an Ibook. Will use it for personal video editing (imovie2)
    and burning cd’s (itunes). My initial choice is the
    ImAC but I also like the advantage of portability. My issue
    with the ibook is the low hard disk capacity. Is the 10GB
    provided good enough for loading movies and using imovie2?

Your expert advice will be highly appreciated.

PS-
    Am also waiting for the new IMACs that will come out.

• Posted: 03 July 2001 10:12 PM #1

For digital video you need a drive much larger than 10GB, but portability is always a plus.  If you want portability, VST makes some small size, yet large capacity firewire HDs that you can store and edit your video on.  At this point in time, though, I’d suggest you wait to buy until after MWNY.  You never now what will happen later this month.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 03 July 2001 10:14 PM #2

Hey Michael,

For editing, you want as much horsepower, ad much screen real estate, as much RAM, and as much hard drive space as you can get.  Either machine will allow you to support dual monitors, should take a fancy, but the iMac’s screen is physically bigger if you will be sticking with what you get.  Editing movies on a 12.1” flat panel could be problematic.

If portability is an important issue for you, get the iBook, and either get the bigger drive that is an option, or buy an external FireWire hard drive.  I think with either machine you will be happy, but again, if portability matters, get the iBook.    I do recommend you consider running a second monitor with either machine if that is a financial possibility.

Good luck!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 04 July 2001 01:55 AM #3

Did not expect such a quick and expert
    reply. Thank you very much. More power
    to you guys.

Posted: 04 July 2001 12:18 PM #4

Glad to help out. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 04 July 2001 08:49 PM #5

When it comes to responses, don’t be surprised. These guys are the best. Trust me.

I don’t have one, but I’d check out the Iomega Peerless drives that just came out. They are tiny and the hard drives are actually swapable cartridges that you can put in your pocket or whatever. That means, you truly have an endless supply of disk space because you aren’t buying an external drive that has a ceiling to it. These things are like $300-$400 depending on model and size. They come in USB or Firewire and they look good. To me, they look too good to be true. I have the link here. It is ...  http://www.iomega.com/peerless/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Scott

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 04 July 2001 09:46 PM #6

Thanks ScottK.

Agree. The drive looks very good!

Question: The Peerless Disk drive capacity is 20GB. Would this be enough for video editing? How many minutes of DV movie can I load with 20GB? Plus
    effects and all?

Is the technology of this Disk Drive similar to regular disk drives? If not, what are the upside and downside?

att