I have a gun in my truck…

• Posted: 23 July 2001 11:52 AM

Okay, shades, I finally read between your lines: you want to discuss gun control! Here’s a topic for you/us:

Who in our midst owns a handgun? I do. Can’t wait until we get a conceal/carry law

It’ll be like the Wild West: “Call me a varlot, will you?”

Rodney O. Lain
    Mac Observer Columnist, iBrotha’s page at TMO

iBrotha.com, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iBrotha on 2001-07-04 05:23 ]</font>

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 04 July 2001 04:19 AM #1

I don’t. I don’t want one, I don’t need one, and I doubt I ever will.

As for ‘the right’ to bear arms and have a well armed militia, should you need to protect yourself against the US government, then all the best of luck to you. You’ll need lots of it.

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 04 July 2001 09:19 AM #2

A little background. I grew up in the time when the rifle and handgun were used for food purposes - for real. Started small game hunting when I was 9, started deer hunting when I was 10, and shot a bear when I was 12 (with a single-shot shotgun) - all true stuff. Each of us had our own rifle and shotgun; only my father had a hand gun - a pistol, really; however, we all trained with it.

When I was in the military I trained with M-16 and several handguns - expert. A few years ago I finally sold my last rifle, a Marlin 38-40, hexagon barrel from 1896 (a couple of years before I was born! ).

So I don’t have one. I support the right to carry, though. But this brings up an issue that bothers me about some who have rifles/handguns. I’ll illustrate from a hunting incident 40+ years ago. We were deer hunting in one area, my father about 1/2 mile away and my older brother about 1/2 further. After a few hours of waiting, I heard loud thrashing around in the trees coming in my general direction. (In that area heavily wooded meant 40 yards was a long shot.) Anyway, I knew it wasn’t an animal. Sure enough, this guy comes trudging through the bushes. He stopped to talk for a little while. We asked each other how we doing. I indicated I had seen two but couldn’t get a shot at either. He said he had heard a couple of things and shot but didn’t think he hit anything - and he didn’t check either. My first questions was: What direction he was heading? When he told me I made sure I was going in the opposite direction!

My point? Too many people want the right to carry and brag about. How many of them have the common sense to use the gun responsibly? That conversation with the other “hunter” stays with me to this very day.

Signature

patience - now that’s a virtue I can’t wait for!

• Posted: 04 July 2001 12:43 PM #3

I think it’s ok to own a gun if you really need it.  However, I don’t have a gun, don’t want to ever have one, and I am uncomfortable with the idea that people I pass on the street could be carrying one.

“ERROR 2393: HAXORS HAEV STOELN YUOR MEGAHURTZ!!!” - Jeff K.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-07-04 15:44 ]</font>

Posted: 04 July 2001 02:04 PM #4

I personally am fascinated with guns as machinery.  The mechanical beauty of an Uzi, for instance, is remarkable.  What people do with it, is another matter.  The taking of human life, even the idea of *hurting* another person in anything other than self-defense, is something I abhor.

I don’t own a gun, but reserve the right to do so.  I also do not worry about being on the streets with gun carriers as long as they behave responsibly.  That some do not is part of the price of living in a free society.  Though I am not a fan of the NRA, I agree with the concept that outlawing guns will only remove guns from law-abiding citizens. 

There are many other reasons than the ability to legally own a gun that are behind the death and mayhem being caused by killers.  Our society (US society in this case) is falling apart for a variety of reasons, and the right to own a gun is not one of them. Indeed, the wanton killing, drive-bys, and school shootings may be easier with the easy access to guns we have in the States, but the easy way out of limiting the freedom of everyone else is just as evil as what the killers are doing.

The key to responsible gun-ownership (and everything else about being civilized) is the idea of being held accountable for our actions, and that is where we have failed.  We no longer teach our children to be accountable, and instead offer them millions of reasons why they are *not* responsible for anything they do.  Is it any wonder that they act in the manner that they do?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 04 July 2001 07:08 PM #5

On 2001-07-04 17:04, Bryan wrote:

There are many other reasons than the ability to legally own a gun that are behind the death and mayhem being caused by killers.  Our society (US society in this case) is falling apart for a variety of reasons, and the right to own a gun is not one of them. Indeed, the wanton killing, drive-bys, and school shootings may be easier with the easy access to guns we have in the States, but the easy way out of limiting the freedom of everyone else is just as evil as what the killers are doing.

The key to responsible gun-ownership (and everything else about being civilized) is the idea of being held accountable for our actions, and that is where we have failed.  We no longer teach our children to be accountable, and instead offer them millions of reasons why they are *not* responsible for anything they do.  Is it any wonder that they act in the manner that they do?

I think your point is well taken. Irresponsibility over time without consequences leaves a bloody trail. The moral framework for responsible use of anything dangerous is lacking; therefore, guns, cars, etc. become weapons. It is interesting that I never called any of the guns I used “weapons.” It was a rifle, pistol, etc. Perhaps because we used them not as convenience, threats, etc. And we used extra caution ALL the time.

Growing up we never thought of using a gun in a threatening way. I remember in high school when one of the students shot and killed one of the administrators and wounded two students, what a shock that was. Remember this was prior to the Vietnam Era, prior to the rioting of the 1960’s.

Signature

patience - now that’s a virtue I can’t wait for!

• Posted: 04 July 2001 07:54 PM #6

Remember when you get a concealed carry license, you will have just registered your pistol with a government agency and when that government gets ready to collect all the privately owned pistols, they will know exactly where to find yours.  Something else to think about is:  How many people are killed by doctors in comparison to those killed by pistols?

• Posted: 04 July 2001 08:39 PM #7

How many people are killed by doctors in comparison to those killed by pistols?

That is an absolute inane correlation!  Doctors are trying to save people’s lives.  The intent of those who kill people with pistols are to disable the person.  If a person dies at the hands of one who is trying to save him, then that is not a violent crime.  Malpractice is another issue….

• Posted: 04 July 2001 08:43 PM #8

My gun would have to be silver, to match my tibook!

Seriously, though. The old adage applies. Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. I can remember times when I wish I had one. I was mugged at gunpoint in Atlantic City, and to this day, I wonder how I survived. Still, though, I would never carry one. I leave my life in God’s hands. He isn’t as reliable as I’d like him to be, but I feel safer that way.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 05 July 2001 05:43 AM #9

There have been times when I thought I wanted a gun. Usually, after thinking about it for a while, I found that I realy didn’t want a gun but something to deter someone from harming me or my family. I really don’t want to kill anyone, but I know there are those who don’t share my love for life and will jst as soon shoot me for a pair of smelly sneaker than get a job. Still, I don’t want to have to kill this person.

Perhaps this is the next arena Jobs could get into, non-lethal personal protection devices. Something beyond pepper spray and zappers, something that actually works. (and looks good doing it)

On the other hand, there may be real instances where a gun is needed. If our country fell into the social decay that is evident in Russia, for instance, then I would feel I need a gun. But in our current society, deterence is what I want. And I don’t want it to mean I have to hide behind a 20 foot wall topped with razor wire.

The problem with guns is that, if I use it to resolve something, the results of that resolution is permanent. I can’t take back a bullet that smashes through someone’s skull. Guns are tools, yes, but the purpose of that tool is to kill, it is the only purpose of that tool, and death is permanent. So, owning a gun means you believe there is a chance where you will need to kill something, in the case of handguns, someone.

Again, I can see situation where owning gun is reasonable, but not in our current society and not by everyone. What is needed is a really good alternative.

Signature

"If only you could have seen what I’ve seen with your eyes." Roy, Blade Runner

Vern Seward

• Posted: 05 July 2001 08:05 AM #10

On 2001-07-04 23:43, scottk wrote:
    ...The old adage applies. Guns don’t kill people. People kill people….

In the words of Eddie Izzard, “But I think the gun helps.”

Having been raised inside the Capital Beltway, I feel obligated to bring the policy of gun control into this discussion. Allow me….

While law-abiding citizens have a right to own a gun, GUNS ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. So are cars. We have strict laws monitoring the purchase and operation of cars. A driver must be licensed to use his car, and the state keeps tabs on a his infractions behind the wheel. Someone explain to me why we shouldn’t require every gun owner to license their gun?

And why shouldn’t gun manufacturers be required to take bullet-casing prints as soon as the gun comes off the production line?

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 05 July 2001 10:40 AM #11

On 2001-07-05 11:05, Ricky wrote:
    A driver must be licensed to use his car, and the state keeps tabs on a his infractions behind the wheel. Someone explain to me why we shouldn’t require every gun owner to license their gun?

We do.

As to the idea of concealed weapons, I would never carry a gun, but I saw a truck with a NRA bumper stiker. I thought to my self, “That guy is never going to get carjacked.” I thought of getting one for my self.

Guns don’t kill people, bullits do, guns just make them go really fast.

• Posted: 05 July 2001 10:47 AM #12

No, I mean really lisence them. Let’s have a nationwide database of gun owners so that any policeman or gun retail can call up a person’s history with guns. There’s no such system in this country, and there should be.

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 05 July 2001 11:10 AM #13

That kind of scares me, having the Federal Government keeping the database. I think it would be better to have each state have their own records and share them with the other states.

Posted: 05 July 2001 11:25 AM #14

Ricky, the biggest flaw with that is, once again, that only law-abiding citizens would be on that list.  Seems to be a pointless case of Big Brother to me.

I would prefer to spend that same massive effort on teaching ethics and values (not-religiously oriented) to our kids.  Let’s get at the root of the problem instead of futzing around with the symptoms.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 05 July 2001 12:10 PM #15

On 2001-07-05 14:25, Bryan wrote:
    I would prefer to spend that same massive effort on teaching ethics and values (not-religiously oriented) to our kids.  Let’s get at the root of the problem instead of futzing around with the symptoms.

Sounds like a great idea but unfortunately I don’t know how effective that would be.  Example: I graduated from high school in the year 2000.  Back in elementary school they had this “Smoke Free Class of 2000” campaign.  In the last few years, I heard nothing about this campaign, because kids were still smoking and it had little or no effect.  I think if there’s one constant about kids, its that most of them will continue to ignore what they are told, no matter how bad you make smoking/guns/etc sound.  I know this sounds pessimistic but from my experience, that’s just he way it is.

“ERROR 2393: HAXORS HAEV STOELN YUOR MEGAHURTZ!!!” - Jeff K.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-07-05 15:12 ]</font>