Backing up 9.1

• Posted: 04 July 2001 08:40 PM

This may seem like an elementary question, but I have no choice but to ask. ...

If I wan to partition my hard drive for OSX and therefore need to back up all my 9.1 files in order to put them back after the clean install, how do I do that? Is there a simple method to copy everything to as many CDs as necessary?

And, do I use a CD-R or CD-RW for that task? And how long does it take?

Thank you much.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

Posted: 04 July 2001 01:48 PM #1

Well Scott,

I personally would back up what I needed on CD-R (I have an irrational fear that CD-RW’s suck), test the CDs once they are burned to make sure they didn’t fail, and then wipe.

Don’t back up what you don’t need to back up.  For instance, if you have a 500 MB game, just reinstall it from the installer CD instead.  Make sure you save any saved games you might want though.  The same goes for things like Office.  Just reinstall it.

I have to suggest this, however.  If you can afford it, buy a 2nd hard drive.  Put all your Classic stuff on one, and put all your X stuff on the other.  Make sure you make your fastest drive the X one.

Hope that helps!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 04 July 2001 02:38 PM #2

Bryan, what about the new macs that have both 9.1 and X installed already on one hard drive? Is this an OK setup? The new hard drives are big enough (40+ gigs), but is it still better to have on two separate drives until everything is running in X?

As you know, I’m planning on buying my first mac in a few weeks and was wondering if I should get the additional hard drive right off the bat.

My credit card is burning a hole in my pocket…btw, on Apple’s web site, they’ve already removed the cube from the store and are back to the four quadrant of products…

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Posted: 04 July 2001 07:23 PM #3

Heh, only two more weeks, Dingo!

In order of my recommendation:

2 hard drives, one with Classic, one with X
    1 hard drive with 2 partitions, one with Classic, and one with X
    1 hard drive, 1 partitions with both OSs installed on it

Really, any of these three options will work, but I strongly recommend one of the first two.

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 04 July 2001 08:05 PM #4

So, would a new G4 tower that comes with one drive be setup like option 3 - or does Apple partition the drive when they ship the models with X already installed?

Yep, only 2 more weeks to go…

I know this is probably common knowledge, but there is definitely going to be changes to the G4 tower. The Apple rep at CompUSA said that the 533, the dual 533, and the 733 models have all been put on the list of items that they don’t stock anymore - even though they still have plenty in the store.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Posted: 04 July 2001 08:18 PM #5

You know, I am not sure how Apple is installing X with its new systems.

Hopefully someone who has bought a new system in recent weeks can fill us in.

Signature

• Posted: 04 July 2001 08:40 PM #6

Hey Brian! How goes it? Happy 4th!

Don’t know if you saw me writing about it, but one of the catalog places has tibooks from the date May 29. They don’t have OSX in the box, and for me to get it, I need to mail away to Apple under the “Up To Date Program.”

That’s still ok, isn’t it? I mean, it shouldn’t matter if OSX is in the box, right? On the surface, I’m just thrilled I’m getting a tibook that’s of later model and not one with all the DVD problems from early on.

You agree? I just want to validate my thoughts. Talking to yourself gets lonely.

Thanks.

Scott

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)