How much did Time pay Apple for The Scoop?

• Posted: 16 January 2002 08:34 PM

I have two theories:

1. Apple’s NDA was messed up or missing. (no money there)
    2. Time paid Apple some bucks to be the first one out the gate. (They believe and are willing to pay for it)

I ask if Apple got paid because:
    1. Steve didn’t seem upset. And, more importantly,
    2. He had a bazillion copies to give out at MacWorld.

Signature

It’s about FREEDOM.

• Posted: 10 January 2002 11:06 PM #1

Time didn’t pay diddly. Checkbook journalism is the province of the tabloids, not venerable newsmagazines.

Apple has a cadre of PR professionals who are paid to know things like publication schedules. Everyone was well aware that the magazine would hit the stands Sunday night. That’s probably why Steve Jobs seemed so unruffled.

I used to edit a music magazine, so I know how these things work. Flack calls publication. Says, “I can give you an exclusive, but you’ve got to put my client on the cover.”

Say you’re Steve Jobs. You’re announcing a big-ticket item for the consumer market in a bad economy. You can make the cover of Time, but the story will leak about 12 hours before your announcement.

Do you tell them to take a hike?

Didn’t think so.

• Posted: 11 January 2002 03:37 AM #2

On 2002-01-11 03:06, Gina Dentata wrote:
    Time didn’t pay diddly. Checkbook journalism is the province of the tabloids, not venerable newsmagazines.

While I question the categorization of Time as a venerable news magazine, I accept your premise.

I used to edit a music magazine, so I know how these things work. Flack calls publication. Says, “I can give you an exclusive, but you’ve got to put my client on the cover.”

This sounds more like it. Free publicity is much cheaper than paying for it.

Aloha,

Enlil

Signature

It’s about FREEDOM.

• Posted: 11 January 2002 08:51 AM #3

On 2002-01-11 07:37, Enlil wrote:

On 2002-01-11 03:06, Gina Dentata wrote:

Agreed. I’m sure Time’s “payment” for first shot at the story was an agreement to embargo release until the the opening of MacWorld Expo (almost) and the cover.

This was a coup for Time and also a triumph for Apple. The value of the publicity from a Time cover and feature story is worth millions in otherwise costly advertising. The issue will have a long shelf life in libraries, offices, homes and schools.

It provides big exposure outside of Apple’s traditional customer base and adds a level of legitamacy to a company that millions of people still think is struggling or on the verge of going out of business.

This out-dated perception of Apple is one of the reasons Apple is keeping large amounts of cash in the bank. According to recent statements by an Apple exec, Apple’s cash balances provides reassurance to cautious buyers in the education market.

• Posted: 16 January 2002 03:15 PM #4

Monday evening I was in a supermarket.

All the magazine racks were chock full - except for Time, which had only a few copies left.  I’m quite sure the store hadn’t restocked the others.  It was very clear that Time had hit a home run for themselves.

• Posted: 16 January 2002 08:34 PM #5

I can never find a copy of TIme on the book shelves.

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...