Apple Daily Stock Updates

• Posted: 28 January 2002 03:23 PM #16

Why is Apple hyping sales of new iMac?

Are they trying to boost investor confidence?

Do they fear the sales will drop off?

??
    Dr. L

• Posted: 28 January 2002 04:17 PM #17

Dude, they are so not hyping iMac sales. Those puppies are selling like hotcakes! Apple has taken more pre-orders (150,000) in three weeks as they did in three months for the Bondi.

It ain’t braggin’ if it’s true!

• Posted: 28 January 2002 05:45 PM #18

I think hledgard has a good point. I believe Apple is focusing on the iMac to gain investor confidence. Plus, it will drive consumers to the stores. The stores are heavy overhead but provide the opportunity for newcomers to the platform to see first hand the Apple advantage.

I believe hledgard is right. Wall Street wants market share gains and it’s the iMac that will win over Wintel converts at the consumer level.

I believe Apple spent about $100 million on ads and marketing in support of the original iMac rollout. I don’t believe they will spend as much this time around, relying on the new stores, the free press (which IMHO has been excellent) and this time around there’s no need to convince the public that Apple will remain in business.

Gina D., thanks for pointing out that the pre-orders on the new iMac are blowing away the pre-order records set by the original iMac. I didn’t realize pre-orders for the new iMac were comparatively so strong

Personally, I’m sticking by my estimate that Apple will sell 3 million iMacs (the old style and the new), inclusive of education sales, in calendar year 2002.

• Posted: 29 January 2002 04:09 PM #19

Apple closed the day (1/29) down $.20 at $23.07 on a very difficult day for hardware stocks on Wall Street. Lou Gerstner announced that he will be stepping down as CEO of IBM. He will be replaced at the helm by Big Blue’s president. Samuel Palmisano. IBM closed down almost 5 percent on the day. HP and Compaq also closed decidedly lower.

• Posted: 29 January 2002 05:04 PM #20

As the Apple Turns has a note on the “150,000” preorder iMacs.  They picked up on it too.  They suggest a little magic with numbers.

Indeed, Apple seems to be holding well.

• Posted: 30 January 2002 07:31 PM #21

Apple closed significantly higher today (1/30) to close up $1.02 or 4.42% at $24.09. Almost 8.5 million Apple shares changed hands. Two major Wall Street analysts now rate Apple a “strong buy” while several others have yet to reevaluate their neutral rating in light of the company’s strong fiscal 1st quarter performance, the release of the new iMac and the announcement of speed-bumped G4 minitowers.

At $24.09, Apple is trading significantly above its recent moving averages and is testing closing prices prices rarely seen in almost a year

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DawnTreader on 2002-01-30 23:32 ]</font>

• Posted: 31 January 2002 12:20 AM #22

Yeah, I almost fell out of my chair this morning when I saw the ticker on Flanders’ only business TV-channel, “Kanaal Z”. Apple up 4%!

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

• Posted: 31 January 2002 05:13 PM #23

Apple closed today (1/31) at $24.72 (1/31) with volume of over 8.3 million shares. Not only is today’s rise of $.63 impressive on top of yesterday’s gains, but the high volume indicates heavy and continuing interest in the stock.

I’d like to see Apple begin to take back ground lost in the sharp September 2000 selloff.

The new iMac and speed-bumped G4s have apparently caught the attention of consumers and investors.

• Posted: 01 February 2002 07:06 AM #24

Anyone have any news about the iBook sale to state of Maine.  There was an article (Lewiston Sun, I believe) that mentioned that the sale was under threat because of other budget priorities.

???
    Dr. L

• Posted: 01 February 2002 05:59 PM #25

It’s my understanding the deal has been approved. However, the state is facing a budget shortfall and some consider the purchase of iBooks a high-profile luxury the state can not afford when facing cutbacks in other areas.

I believe this is more of a social issue than an economic issue in that incorporating technology into schools is seen by many as a change in the manner in which we educate our kids. Proponents of the plan, in my understanding, are pushing hard to be sure the purchase is not derailed.

I attended an technology in education conference a little over a year ago and the views expressed by the keynote speaker have stayed with me.

He stated that in today’s classsroom methods will change from excercises in memorization to training in how to access information and discerning what is good information from bad information.

This makes a lot of sense. With the advent of technology in the classroom, the manner in which children learn about the world around them will change dramatically over time.

• Posted: 01 February 2002 06:11 PM #26

Apple closed down $.31 today (2/1) to close the week at $24.41. More than 7.1 million shares changed hands today. Apple closed the week up over a dollar from the trading price at Monday’s opening.

• Posted: 03 February 2002 05:31 AM #27

When you say the deal has gone through, do you mean it is legally binding and truly going ahead.  I did not get that impression form the article.

• Posted: 03 February 2002 10:27 PM #28

Although I spent a few years in government (including a short stint at the US Department of Education), I’m not an expert in this area. What I do know is that contracts in government often have a dual track. There’s often an authorization and then an appropriation. At any time until the checks are signed, things can change.

It’s my understanding this program has been authorized. However, a program like this will have proponents and detractor even after the iBooks arrive at the schools.

• Posted: 04 February 2002 12:46 PM #29

Apple closed up $.94 today (2/4) to close at $25.35 on volume of 9.3 million shares. This is Apple’s highest close since coming off its 52-week high in early May. Apple is approaching $9 billion in market value and appears poised to test its 52-week high of $27.12

• Posted: 05 February 2002 01:27 PM #30

Apple closed up $.10 today (2/5) to close at $25.45. Almost 8.2 million shares changed hands. Apple reached a high of $25.98 in intra-day trading and closed the day with a market cap of just under $9 billion.