Shawn King quits Mac Show Live, over "philosophical differen

• Posted: 21 January 2002 08:22 PM

Shawn is one of the good guys, whom I’ve met and with whom I wish I’d shared a beer or six. But according to a story that broke over at Applelinks.com, Shawn has decided to move on .

I like Shawn. He was one of few “famous” Mac media celebrities that ever gave me the time day and did down-to-earth things like actually calling me and/or e-mailed me. He also was a regular reader of my stuff, and was always quick to tell me when I slipped up and wrote something worth reading; he also told me when I was full of it.

He also even had me on his show a couple of times.

Oh, you haven’t heard of the Mac Show Live ? It is a weekly internet radio broadcast dedicated discussing all things Macintosh. Many Mac-related celebrities appear regularly on there, like Bryan Chaffin.

According to Applelinks, a press release from the Mac Show speaks for King. I called his cell phone tonight (he lives in Canada, eh?). Just read on another list that the press release is legit.

He’s outta there, on his own volition.

Anyone who quits out of philosophical differences is okay in my book. Then again, he’s an iBrotha, too, so what should you expect?

Rodney O. Lain
    iBrotha @TMO
    iBrotha.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iBrotha on 2002-01-21 11:00 ]</font>

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 20 January 2002 06:35 PM #1

Via the Infinite Loop Mailing List , Shawn says:

“I will also be starting a *new* show at the same time this coming Wednesday.  A Press Release will be sent out tomorrow morning. smile

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Justin on 2002-01-21 00:34 ]</font>

Posted: 20 January 2002 07:23 PM #2

Huh.

What his industry (Mac streaming radio shows) needs is more competition in order to radically boost awareness and mind-share, so I hope his new show works well, and I hope The Mac Show continues to do well too, though without Shawn I see that as being difficult.  He was the personality behind the show, that’s for certain.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 20 January 2002 07:30 PM #3

Justin wrote:

Via the Infinite Loop Mailing List , Shawn says:

“I will also be starting a *new* show at the same time this coming Wednesday.  A Press Release will be sent out tomorrow morning.

Dammit, Justin, you stole my thunder   I had an email exchange with Shawn tonight and I wrote a news article with similar quotes in it, focusing on his new show.

Good luck to him, I say.

Signature

Posted: 20 January 2002 08:53 PM #4

I was lucky enough to have met him. Back when I was living in Vancouver, I offered to help him out with setting up a MacOS X Streaming server with the original MacOS X server (You know, pre-Aqua), for a free Gravis Blackhawk Joystick.

I really enjoyed the time I spent chatting with him, and sitting in on the show. He’s a great guy, and i certainly wish him the best of luck in whatever endeavours he wishes to persue.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

• Posted: 21 January 2002 01:34 AM #5

I’m glad he’s still going to do a Mac show. I loved the Mac Show. Shawn King was one of the few Mac journos who didn’t give in to the hype and had genuinely interesting views on the Mac. I don’t know how the Mac Show itself will do, though. Shawn WAS the program. Wait and see, I guess…

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

• Posted: 21 January 2002 03:34 PM #6

FYI: There is also a discussion going on at the end of today’s TMO article on the Mac Show happenings .

Mr. King has even weighed in himself…

Signature

Posted: 21 January 2002 08:17 PM #7

I was lucky enough to have met him. Back when I was living in Vancouver, I offered to help him out with setting up a MacOS X Streaming server with the original MacOS X server (You know, pre-Aqua), for a free Gravis Blackhawk Joystick.

LOL Dude! *There* you are!

Folks, this is the guy who was responsible for getting us set up to broadcast via QT. I’m no where near smart emough to set up the QT Server and he was kind enough to volunteer!

i certainly wish him the best of luck in whatever endeavours he wishes to persue.

Thanks!

Signature

Shawn King
    Host/Executive Producer
    Your Mac Life
    http://www.yourmaclifeshow.com

Posted: 21 January 2002 08:22 PM #8

Shawn is one of the good guys, whom I’ve met and with whom I wish I’d shared a beer or six.

Yeah, we gotta get together at an Expo again.

I like Shawn. He was one of few “famous” Mac media celebrities that ever gave me the time day and did down-to-earth things like actually calling me and/or e-mailed me.

Well, I don’t know about “famous Mac media Celebrities!

Believe me, I ain’t all that special. I’m just a Mac user who has the incredible good fortune to be able to have a show where I get to talk about cool Mac stuff. I’m not a journalist, I’m a lousy writer, I’m not all that technically competent….

I’ve got a good face for radio though!

Anyone who quits out of philosophical differences is okay in my book. Then again, he’s an iBrotha, too, so what should you expect?

LOL Thanks!

Signature

Shawn King
    Host/Executive Producer
    Your Mac Life
    http://www.yourmaclifeshow.com