help please: mac site check urgently required. javascript is

• Posted: 22 January 2002 11:03 PM

hi all,
    i’m a non-mac user here asking for some help please…
    i’ve more or less finished developing my latest website, but have hit what seems like a major issue. the site works fine on various pcs, on both netscape 6.2 and internet explorer 5+.
    a friend of mine has checked the site on his mac and has told me that it also works fine on mac netscape, but it seems that the menu rollover buttons refuse to work on IE!
    this is a major issue, as the site is set to go live tomorrow!!
    i don’t have a mac to hand to test whether it works or not, is there anyone out there with a mac that can check my site and let me know if it works or not, or if anyone has any ideas why it doesn’t work on ie, i would be forever indebted.
    i’m afraid i don’t know which versions of IE my friend viewed it on (he doesn’t know either and is away from his machine). it might just be the case that he has script ing turned off in his browser options, but i really need to know if it works or not on other macs.
    PLEASE HELP ME!

the site is at: http://www.contact-theatre.org/quick/
    it’s the left hand menu buttons that don’t seem to work…

thank you,
    Tekin.

Posted: 22 January 2002 10:45 AM #1

Works fine on IE 5.1.

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

Posted: 22 January 2002 11:05 AM #2

... and it doesn’t under Mac IE 5.0

There’s something funky with that <marquee> tag that’s affecting the rest of the page. If you remove the table row that contains it, all the remaining links on the menu work properly.

I tried splitting the <marquee> out of the main table, into a table of its own and that allowed both to coexist on the same page. but… every time you mouseover one of the links, the marquee resets its scroll.

Moral of the story: ditch the marquee for a different approach. It’s not going to show for your Netscape users and it’s deprecated HTML anyway.

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 22 January 2002 11:33 AM #3

On 2002-01-22 15:05, someToast wrote:
    ... and it doesn’t under Mac IE 5.0

There’s something funky with that <marquee> tag that’s affecting the rest of the page. If you remove the table row that contains it, all the remaining links on the menu work properly.

I tried splitting the <marquee> out of the main table, into a table of its own and that allowed both to coexist on the same page. but… every time you mouseover one of the links, the marquee resets its scroll.

Moral of the story: ditch the marquee for a different approach. It’s not going to show for your Netscape users and it’s deprecated HTML anyway.

wow. well spotted. so you’re saying that without the marque, it works fine, with the rollovers?
    i appreciate what your saying about the marquee, but i might have to go down the split table approach as the people i’m doing the site for are kind of attached to it
    i’ve got some browser detection in there that spots netscape users and removes it for them. maybe i’ll add some code that detects IE5 mac users, as it seems to work fine with IE5.1.
    thanks again, no one else has managed to spot this.
    cheers,
    tekin

• Posted: 22 January 2002 11:47 AM #4

hi, i’ve put the marque in a seperate table. does it work now?
    tekin

• Posted: 22 January 2002 12:18 PM #5

Running IE 5.0 on Mac OS 9.2, the rollovers and the marquee are both working.

Posted: 22 January 2002 12:25 PM #6

On 2002-01-22 15:47, tekin wrote:
    tekin

Working under Mac IE 5.0 and rolling over the links isn’t causing the marquee scroll to reset (that may have been due to the javascript trying to load nonexistent images when I had the page saved locally).

Good deal, glad that it’s working!

Signature

Rob

• Posted: 22 January 2002 12:34 PM #7

On 2002-01-22 16:25, someToast wrote:

On 2002-01-22 15:47, tekin wrote:
    tekin

Working under Mac IE 5.0 and rolling over the links isn’t causing the marquee scroll to reset (that may have been due to the javascript trying to load nonexistent images when I had the page saved locally).

Good deal, glad that it’s working!

thanks ever so much, you cannot imagine just how mad this was driving me. you’ve made me a very happy man.
    by the way, what made you realise it was the marquee!? i would never have thought that it would be effecting the javascript rollovers.
    oh well. i guess that’s what you get for using non-standard html…
    thanks again.

Posted: 22 January 2002 11:03 PM #8

On 2002-01-22 16:34, tekin wrote:
    by the way, what made you realise it was the marquee!? i would never have thought that it would be effecting the javascript rollovers.

Not only were the rollovers not working, but the links themselves were inactive (no hand pointer, no action when clicked). Since the first link did work, and all the other links were coded in the same way, it was a question of looking for differences. Commented out the bottom-half of the table and all the remaining links worked. <marquee> was the odd-man out.

Signature

Rob