Welcome To The Jungle

Posted: 01 February 2002 12:26 PM

Welcome to our new Digital Imaging forum!

Ask away! 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 22 January 2002 05:32 PM #1

Welcome to the jungle, we’ve got fun and games (and we might, too)!

As Bryan said, ask away!

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 22 January 2002 08:21 PM #2

Welcome everybody!
    I just wanted to let everyone know that questions in this forum can range from “which model camera is best for me” to “What’s an f-stop?”
    Digital photography doesn’t necessarily limit itself to strictly digital cameras either. My start in digital photography involved a traditional SLR and a Kodak RFS Film Scanner.

So don’t be afraid to ask any questions here.
    -Dan

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 22 January 2002 08:31 PM #3

I’m glad this isn’t a “digital only” forum. I’ve wanted a Pentax K1000 since I used one in a photography class in high school. I also continue to kick myself for passing up a mint-looking Kodak Retina Reflex for $15 about a year back.

Oh well, I’ll probably end up getting a cheapie (sub-$100) digicam someday.

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

• Posted: 22 January 2002 08:54 PM #4

On 2002-01-23 00:31, x136 wrote:
    ...I’ve wanted a Pentax K1000 since I used one in a photography class in high school.

If you get one, be sure to get a used body. (And the best ones have the word Asahi in the logo stamped into the top cover.)
    If you want a new camera that is manual focus, look at the Pentax ZX-m. The new “K-1000s” are very bad copies that are made in China. They are almost guaranteed to break.

As a side note, that same BAD model has been changed very slightly and marketed as the Canon T-60 and the Nikon FM-3 (I believe) as well as a few other brand names and models.

-Dan

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 22 January 2002 09:20 PM #5

If you get one, be sure to get a used body. (And the best ones have the word Asahi in the logo stamped into the top cover.)
    If you want a new camera that is manual focus, look at the Pentax ZX-m. The new “K-1000s” are very bad copies that are made in China. They are almost guaranteed to break.

Yeah, I had heard that new K1000’s are pretty much a shadow of what they once were. I am mostly looking at the K1000 because they can be found pretty cheaply (like $100 for a used body and a lens last time I checked) and there seems to be quite a selection of lenses out there. If you can recommend other older cameras in that kind of price range, I’m all ears.

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

• Posted: 23 January 2002 10:55 AM #6

mmmm, the K-1000 was my first SLR and I still use it a lot.  It’s a great camera.  Another advantage IIRC Pentax newfangled auto everything lenses work on old manual cameras so you can buy a modern lens for it in case you eventually upgrade. 

Signature

All statements are to be taken with a grain of salt

Posted: 23 January 2002 02:16 PM #7

Am I the only Nikon/Nikkor snob here?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 23 January 2002 07:13 PM #8

On 2002-01-23 18:16, Bryan wrote:

I use ‘em. And quality-wise they’re very good. But when it comes to autofocus, I prefer Canon. They have the best Af system. And the best R&D. (Ultrasonic motors, image stabilization, and their new pro series of lens coatings enable them to dramatically reduce the size and weight of large focal length lenses.)

-Dan

Signature

• Posted: 31 January 2002 02:19 PM #9

On 2002-01-23 18:16, Bryan wrote:

With the exception of my Finepix, all I have now is Nikon.  That’s all I’ve ever had.  It’s only part snobbery on my part though.  When I got started, I bought a Nikon FG primarily so that I could use my father’s extensive lens collection.  Now, years later, I have so many of my own Nikon/Nikkor equipment, that there really isn’t much to think about when I buy a new camera.

Of course, I am snobby about the F3.  It’s got a dent in the finder like someone hit it with a ball peen hammer.  Still works fine.  I could replace the finder, but I like the ‘battle scar’.  The thing is bullet proof.

• Posted: 31 January 2002 04:46 PM #10

On 2002-01-31 18:19, pagefault wrote:
    Of course, I am snobby about the F3.  It’s got a dent in the finder like someone hit it with a ball peen hammer.  Still works fine.  I could replace the finder, but I like the ‘battle scar’.  The thing is bullet proof.

And the manual wind lever is sooooooooo silky smooth! Ugh! (excuse me… I need to be alone for a moment…)
    I’ve always said that If I had to use a manual wind camera, the F3 would be the only one worth considering. IMNHO it is THE pinnacle in manual-wind cameras. (with the notable exception of the DUMB flash attachment point, which was fixed in a later version)
    -Dan

Local distributor of Evil Cheese™ to The Evil Girls of The Mac Observer™

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Photodan on 2002-01-31 20:47 ]</font>

Signature

• Posted: 01 February 2002 04:08 AM #11

Okay, I have a circa-1982 Pentax K1000 that does all I need it to, except for astrophotography. It still works great, I haven’t had a problem with it.

And for that, I know a guy who can get me access to a university [24” TELESCOPE] with a nice CCD.

[EDITed for blind-*ss stupidity]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tbone1 on 2002-02-01 19:45 ]</font>

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

• Posted: 01 February 2002 12:26 PM #12

PhotoDan…..The F3 is sweet but take a new look at nikon FM3A slr (manual focus get the new shutterbug for a review, try http://www.shutterbug.net/features/story.cfm?StoryID=3955 for a quickie).  Although I can say is my F4S still works like charm, I’ve got an F5 but, I choose my F4S over it any day, sorta like an old pair of socks that just feel good compared to new onesj.  ; )