my Wallstreet PB G3 is crappy…and Apple doesn't care

• Posted: 18 July 2001 12:10 PM

After ownign my Wallstreet for over a year, the screen hinge broke. Now it is flimsy, meaning that if I have it too far forward, it will slam shut; if it’s too far back, it will slam the other direction. Later, my PCMCIA slots went screwy (sometimes the cards won’t eject). TODAY, the AC power went out. My batteries won’t charge from teh AC, now can I run it on anything other than batteries.

My point is this: other than the PCMCIA problem, my problems are known issues, and Apple has refused to recall the PowerBooks. There were resellers wilign to sell the hinge parts for a low cost $50-$70), but Apple’s lawyers sent a love letter to them, so now, we can only get the problem fixed by goign through Apple $350-$400.

As you can tell, I’m PO’d.

Look for an editorial somewhere on the Mac web with me flaming Apple on this.

FWIW, there are some who are talkign of a class action suit, a fat lot of good that will do…

Rant off.

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 13 July 2001 12:18 PM #1

On 2001-07-06 01:12, iBrotha wrote:
    After ownign my Wallstreet for over a year, the screen hinge broke.

http://www.pbparts.com/

Signature

Zippity Doo Dah!  Zippety Yay!
    My, oh my - what a wonderful day!
    Plenty o’ sunshine headin’ my way!
    Zippity Doo Dah!  Zippety Yay!

• Posted: 13 July 2001 03:21 PM #2

Actually according to Apple these are considered user created problems by abuse. I dont want to sound mean…but this is what I got from Apple when I called them for a system where someone had a similar problem. The customer admitted then she dropped the laptop on very plush carpet but the system was fine. The problem did not show up until 6 months later.

As far as the AC adpater plugging the adapter in to hard can seperate the plug in the system from the sound card that its attached to. I have replaced a few of these. Again, Apple says this is caused by the user and not a defect in the equiptment. They do however have the AC Adapter issue right now about the possible fire hazard and have taken steps to fix this by replacing just the AC Adapter itself.

This is just the word I get from Apple when I have to call them so dont flame me.

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 18 July 2001 12:10 PM #3

No flames here. Besides, I’ve “poor mouthed” my wife so that I’ve almost convinced her to get me a powerbook ;D

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...