Welcome to the Spaghetti Farm!

Posted: 28 January 2002 02:32 PM

Hey everyone, let me be the first to welcome you to our newest forum, the Coder’s Corner.  This forum is designed to be a bastion of help for developers from all over the Mac world.  Making apps?  Getting started?  Been coding since Steve Jobs was peddling blue-boxes?  Whatever your sk1LlZ, we hope you find this forum a comfy home. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 24 January 2002 12:00 AM #1

I know I will find it very helpful. Going to make my first topic just as soon as I finish this message.

“Let there be code. Let the masses enjoy the freedom of creating the next wave of applications for the Mighty Macintosh. Let Bill Gates weep with nightmares for not supporting Open Source.”

Thanks for the quick service, Bryan.

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

• Posted: 24 January 2002 01:08 AM #2

Time to show off some l33t spaghetti code! Woooo!

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

• Posted: 27 January 2002 12:12 PM #3

Mmm… spaghetti….

Posted: 28 January 2002 12:03 AM #4

Oh I’m feeling unwell. How I remember…

...wobbly lines…wobbly lines…

It was back in 1979, when I moved to Wellington to take up a job as a Fortran programmer. I was part of a team, and then the team itself, who looked after code written and maintained by a chap called Max Bradford. It was about 10,000 lines, undocumented, spaghetti-as-only-Fortran-can-be rubbish. We converted it a few years later into a completely new system written in Cobol(!) with its own interpretive p-coded subroutine-calling language, which was running virtually unchanged until 18 months ago.

...wobbly lines…wobbly lines…

Max Bradford is now a politician who looks as though he is going to be dropped by his party at the next election. How upset am I? not a lot…

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 28 January 2002 01:03 AM #5

Ha!

That was entertaining, LaurieF. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 28 January 2002 08:17 AM #6

I first started programming in Applesoft Basic on my IIGS when I was 5. My next programming language was HyperCard, which I started programming in when I was 7. But I soon realized that HyperCard sucked, so I moved on to Serf. But only 2 years ago I realized that Serf was almost identical to HyperCard, so I moved onto REALbasic and made this mean page about Serf. Now I’m learning Objective-C. Mmm… spaghetti….

• Posted: 28 January 2002 12:44 PM #7

My first programming class was Fortran at a local community college back in 1977.  The first half of the term we used keypunch machines to enter our code on punch cards to submit to the operators in the machine room.  (Yes, that’s what they were called.)

The second half of the term we were allowed to use the terminals to enter, compile and debug our code.  Truly a god-like feeling after punch cards….

Since then I’ve dabbled in programming, mostly through administering UNIX machines and making the software tools I needed to make my job easier.  So I learned shell scripting, some Perl, C, a little C++ and so forth.

Currently I’m head of the computer programming department at a small technical college in Denver and I’m having a ball using OS X and all of the built-in Dev Tools.  (Academic discount for OS X - $69..Woo Hoo!!!)

Though I’m pretty comfortable with CLI-based programming, I don’t have much experience with GUI IDEs so I’m reading ‘Cocoa Programming with OS X’ to get familiar with Project Builder and Interface Builder, as well as Objective-C.  So far it totally rocks.

Signature

Tom Sinclair
    Speaker-to-Suits

Posted: 28 January 2002 02:32 PM #8

Folks, don’t forget about AppleScript.    I’ll hang about this forum to help you with any questions concerning AS & 9, X, AppleScript studio, cgi, you name it!