DV editing

• Posted: 13 June 2001 07:31 PM

Before I order a new (after this July) Apple Power Mac, I would like to get a few things clear.

I’m assuming that I can literally take uncompressed video footage through the Firewire, and put it on the hard drive for true non-linear editing.  And of course make a true DVD.

I can pass-through an S-VHS signal through my Canon Elura 2MC from an S-VHS VTR and with the magic of Firewire, my old home movies will be on the hard drive, uncompressed.  I don’t have to first record the S-VHS footage onto the MiniDV format?  If this is correct, then why do people spend $400 on a signal converter, when they could get a DV camera for $100 to $300 more?

I could also store compressed clips of my footage, yet those clips represent the high-quality (as far as MiniDV goes) footage on the tape in my little Canon Elura 2MC.  And I’m assuming this way, I could also edit the film directly from the tape (provided there is enough room on the tape for editing.)

Are those two assumptions correct?  Did it make any sense?

thanks everyone,

Jason

Posted: 13 June 2001 07:31 PM #1

Yeah, that should all be true, though editing from tape is not nearly as easy as the non-linear editing you can do on the Mac.

-Dave

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.