PHP

Posted: 07 March 2002 08:35 AM

Q1.) what is PHP, and what are the advantages to it?

Q2.) how does one go about learning it?

Signature

-Louie

• Posted: 01 February 2002 11:07 AM #1

Well, to the best of my knowledge, PHP is a language that allows you to access databases and use the data in them for dynamically generated Web pages. It is most often used in combination with MySQL, an open-source database program.

The reason I’m chiming in despite my ignorance, is to answer your second question. I’m determined to learn PHP/MySQL myself, and I figure it’s best to start with a book. I’ve been looking around this week, and it looks like Julie Meloni has written the best books for us rank amateurs.

But that’s just based on Web-searching and Amazon reviews. I’m heading to my local bookstore today or tomorrow to have a look at what’s out there, and which one makes sense to me. I’ll post what I find out here.

There’s also an application for Mac called JaneBuilder that automatically generates PHP commands. I downloaded a demo, but it looks like something I won’t want to mess with till I learn to write the code from scratch and understand what I’m doing. However, the manuals are well written in a super-friendly style, and include a cursory introduction to PHP.

• Posted: 01 February 2002 11:07 PM #2

Wow, PHP?  Be careful with that stuff… 

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/6/php_suspend.html

Posted: 02 February 2002 01:53 AM #3

PHP is technically a “scripting” language.  Gina’s description above works well enough.    I wanted to add that I think PHP is the best such scripting language available, besting rivals such as PERL (which was not designed from the ground up to be a Web server scripting language), Python, and others.  It is fast, it is efficient, and it powers all of TMO’s scripting and programming needs with the exception of our lousy search engine which is PERL based.  If you are interested in developing server applications, I heartily recommend PHP.

The bit of satire that David linked to above is outstanding, BTW. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 03 February 2002 05:05 PM #4

is there anywhere out there i can get a [i[free intro to php tutorial?

also:
    Bryan.. when you read this.. look at my SSI thread, and see if you can help me out there, i was reccomended to ask you about it.

Signature

-Louie

Posted: 03 February 2002 08:35 PM #5

Where is that SSI bit, L0u13?

Here are two sources for PHP.

http://www.php.net/

http://www.phpbuilder.com/

Both have resources for getting started. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 03 February 2002 09:06 PM #6

<links loading now>

thanks bryan!

ssi thread is here.. http://www.macobserver.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3409&forum=26&8

thanks again!!

Signature

-Louie

• Posted: 07 March 2002 08:35 AM #7

I’m bumping this because I never did tell what book I bought, plus I found a good article.

I got PHP By Example from Que Books/Press/whatever. I looked at the books by Laura What’s-Her-Name, but they looked a little too simple for me—only because I already hand-code my HTML and I’m familiar with database design and syntax from using Filemaker Pro for years, not ‘cause I’m some kind of whiz. They look really good, and if I didn’t already know that stuff, I’d have bought one.

Like most computer books, PHP By Example has typos in the code examples, but the author does such a good job explaining the concepts that I’ve been catching the errors before I even type them. I plowed through five or six chapters a couple of weeks ago, but have been to busy to get back to it. I see backtracking in my future.

Also, I ran across an excellent article on setting up PHP on OS X at Apple’s Internet Developer site . It’s got step-by-step instructions with pitchers and everything! Also, they keep Terminal action to a minimum, which for me is A Good Thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gina Dentata on 2002-03-07 12:36 ]</font>