Photoshop Tinker - can you see?

• Posted: 19 July 2001 05:13 AM

I was feeling a little evil with Photoshop earlier and went after the following picture.  I want to see if you guys can tell what I did.  Good luck.

Regards,
    Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 07 July 2001 08:11 PM #1

You put the noise making thing into the second girls’ mouth.

Posted: 07 July 2001 08:26 PM #2

I count the yellow hair, the black shirt, the lei on the brunette, the red color on the milk-crate, and maybe the bit of yellow on the front of the “blond’s”  shirt.

That’s without blowing it up.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 07 July 2001 09:36 PM #3

Something was added to the blonde’s back hip pocket as well.

• Posted: 07 July 2001 09:36 PM #4

Something is painted onto the grocery bag it seems.

• Posted: 07 July 2001 10:39 PM #5

On 2001-07-07 23:26, Bryan wrote:
    I count the yellow hair, the black shirt, the lei on the brunette, the red color on the milk-crate, and maybe the bit of yellow on the front of the “blond’s”  shirt.

That’s perhaps overdoing it a little, Bryan.  The black shirt is real, as is the lei, the red color on the milk crate, and the bit of yellow (which happens to be a lei).

You are correct, the frontmost person actually has brown hair.  That is the only thing I’ve changed.  I’ve been trying lately to be able to change features like hair color and eye color in Photoshop using various methods, but I haven’t quite got it to look quite real yet.  I had you guys look at it because I know what she should look like, and thus I already know its fake.

Here’s the original image:

Any comments on how to do it better?

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 07 July 2001 11:05 PM #6

Heh, sorry to be so wrong on that!  The colors of the things I was listing all seemed false, but I didn’t want to blow it up to check (that would defeat the purpose).

Hopefully a better Photoshopper than me can offer you some better advice, but I would recommend checking out the kinds of colors in real ohotos (like hair), and comparing them to images you have altered.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 08 July 2001 08:46 AM #7

Yeah, its really hard to get that “real” look.  I spent several hours doing little modifications and lighting effects, but I always ended up with a too bright yellow or a fake bleached blonde look.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 08 July 2001 08:47 AM #8

Some of the color and detail problems are probably because of the UMAX scanner and software.  The image is about two years old.  Oddly, so much of it looks like it could have been fake.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 19 July 2001 04:20 AM #9

I brought the white point down slightly in Levels, opened Curves, set a control in the middle and brought the lower half of the curve up (making kind of an “S”) to lighten the hair, then off to Hue/Saturation for a little Ted Turner Colorization(tm).

The important thing for realism is in being careful to not oversaturate on the color and not losing the shadows when lightening (the one above has been de-saturated a bit). How far you can push it is where the experimentation comes in—mine’s a touch green, your milage may vary.

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 19 July 2001 05:13 AM #10

Thanks!  I’ll have to experiment with that.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer