The Weakest Link

Posted: 27 July 2001 06:37 AM

I don’t have TV, so all the Survivor, Millionaire, and other TV show hoopla doesn’t interest me.  So, when I was visiting relatives, I happen to watch part of The Weakest Link, and was I unimpressed.

First, the person who runs the show comes across to me as a complete moron with no decency.  She seems like a person who only feels good by putting others down.  Then the contestants, when they loose they take it so personal.  I was surprised no one gave her the finger the way they were acting.  It’s just a game show.  What surprised me the most were how simple some of the questions were, and they didn’t get the right answer.  Overall, it seemed like a bogus show.  Give me a program like Wait wait, don’t tell me (Radio, folks, radio) where everyone is laughing and cracking jokes.  Sure, they give out hints, and almost everyone comes away winning (Carl Cassol on your home answering machine ), but the point is to have fun and to stretch your mind - not to win.

• Posted: 08 July 2001 10:57 AM #1

Its the show I love to hate.  It has a wide variety of questions, though.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 09 July 2001 06:38 AM #2

Hey—is there a way for me to listen to “Wait, Wait, don’t tell me?” Does PRI or NPR carry it? (It’s a British show, right?)

I’d like to hear it, especially if I can listen online.

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 09 July 2001 01:01 PM #3

Ricky “The Voice” Spero wrote:
    (It’s a British show, right?)

Yes, it is British. In fact, those reality shows were European inventions. The first ones that hit the tubes were from the Netherlands in 1998, and people in the US quickly picked up on it. Who Wants to be a Millionnaire was a British creation, and so was The Weakest Link. The difference is that for the ‘Link, they imported the host. For obvious reasons if you hear what she tells contestants with that British accent.

Yet one more thing that the US of A couldn’t claim to be their own

• Posted: 13 July 2001 01:09 PM #4

I want to see someone smack her when they walk off so badly! I have seen this show twice and I really cant stand it…I almost want to watch just to see if someone finally flips her off or smacks her. Has there been a show where she does not insult every contestant?

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 13 July 2001 01:14 PM #5

That’s actually happened in our version; a guy mouthed ‘b—ch!’ as he walked off.  Hella funny.

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 13 July 2001 01:56 PM #6

That’s hilarious, Raena….

Tell us, is it the same host as in the US?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dingo on 2001-07-13 16:57 ]</font>

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 16 July 2001 03:38 PM #7

We brits invented the Weakest Link and to you,my american friends I say: YOU CAN KEEP THE WEAKEST LINK. Its the worst thing to come out of the UK since,erm,The Avengers Movie.

Its all yours boys. (and girls)

Andy

Signature

Visit my fantastic iTools constructed website,go on,whats the worst that can happen?

http://homepage.mac.com/stupidfish/

• Posted: 17 July 2001 06:02 AM #8

dingo:  Nahhh, we have our very own version of the show, and the host is plain eeevil.  Her name’s Cornelia Frances, and all the parts she’s ever played have been super nasty… lawyers, prison guards and stuff.

Are all the contestants on the US and UK ones complete morons like ours?
    Q: ‘How many players in the string quartet Fourplay?’
    A: ‘Uhhhh…’ (thinks) ‘...five?’

Signature

• Posted: 17 July 2001 10:55 AM #9

last night’s show:  Quick!  What is 69 divided by 3?  Answer: 14?  D’oh!

Oh, but there was a funny moment last night.  One guy on the show was british.  The host asked him, “So why did you leave England?”  Answer: “Because most of the women there are just like you.”  Classic!

“Telling a WinTel user that his computer is a toy insults his manhood; telling a Mac user that his computer is a toy insults his intelligence.” - Me

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Retro on 2001-07-17 13:57 ]</font>

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 17 July 2001 11:22 AM #10

Raena, actually (and honestly), I’ve never watched the American show. The only time I’ve seen something related to it was when Saturday Night Live did their own version.

Don’t watch too much TV, but when I do, I usually stay away from the major networks and prime-time programming (blah, blah, blah).

I’d rather watch your fellow countryman, Steve Irwin, get chased by an alligator. But, even he is getting a little mundane.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 17 July 2001 10:15 PM #11

Answer: “Because most of the women there are just like you.” Classic!

Aaaaahhhh, choice!!

I’d rather watch your fellow countryman, Steve Irwin, get chased by an alligator.

Ohhhhh… no. No. NO. I hate that show.  Gah.

Signature

• Posted: 18 July 2001 03:28 PM #12

Ohhhhh… no. No. NO. I hate that show.  Gah.

Yeah, I know….

Steve, you are the weakest link! Good Bye!

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 21 July 2001 12:10 PM #13

Yes indeed, Big Brother was first on TV over here in The Netherlands, not that I watched it tho, isn’t my kind of TV. We are in the luxuery position to get 24 !!! Channels on Cable, only 9 Dutch, the rest foreign, including the awful CNN. But back to TWL, I first saw it on the BBC with Anne Robinson, who I’d seen before on a consumer problems programme so that was kind of a change. Now we got our own dutch version of TWL, and as usual it can’t match the BBC production. I don’t watch TWL on either channel tho. There are better programs on TV.

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver

• Posted: 21 July 2001 09:10 PM #14

Wait, wait, don’t tell me is the best quiz show IMHO. No matter where I am on saturdays[when it is broadcast on my local npr station] I always make sure I can access a radio. I’ve been known to take a walkman to a wedding reception! 

As for the weakest link, I’ve only seen it twice, but[I can hear the groans now] I like that woman, she’s saying the things we might be tempted to yell at the tv. 

sosumi [yep, so sue me for having that last thought ]

• Posted: 22 July 2001 03:19 PM #15

One guy on the show was british.  The host asked him, “So why did you leave England?”  Answer: “Because most of the women there are just like you.”  Classic!

That is the most wrong thing in a long sad history of very wrong,wrong things. Its up there with Bush’s missile defence programme.

Signature

Visit my fantastic iTools constructed website,go on,whats the worst that can happen?

http://homepage.mac.com/stupidfish/