basic powerbook question

• Posted: 10 July 2001 10:36 AM

Hi. I know this sounds like a dumb question .....

What is standard for a powerbook when I am not using it. Do I leave it plugged into the AC outlet just like the iMac or leave it unplugged? And I can only assume that if the answer is to leave it plugged in 24/7 that I need a decent surge protector to match the one I use with my iMac.

It’s amazing what you think of when you are 3 weeks away from a big purchase.

Thanks a lot.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 09 July 2001 08:50 PM #1

What is standard for a powerbook when I am not using it. Do I leave it plugged into the AC outlet just like the iMac or leave it unplugged? And I can only assume that if the answer is to leave it plugged in 24/7 that I need a decent surge protector to match the one I use with my iMac.

Scott,

I don’t own a PowerBook, but I will try to give you a little advice.  If you use it like a desktop machine at home, let’s say, then leaving it plugged in is a good option (although I’d put it to sleep).  When you’re out and about with it and not using it, either shut it off or put it asleep.

That’s just what I would do (and will do when I order a powerbook).

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 09 July 2001 09:19 PM #2

Put it to sleep?

Bah!  Run SETI@home and join Team Mac Observer .

Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in their success, but in the way they achieved and maintain that success.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bryan on 2001-07-10 00:20 ]</font>

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 10 July 2001 07:57 AM #3

Yeah, LCD don’t have a ‘burn-in’ problem! (like my parent’s rev. B iMac - forever showing seti)
    -D

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 10 July 2001 10:36 AM #4

I leave my TiBook asleep all the time and only plug in when I need a charge or am gonna be sitting in one place for more than an hour. Normally I can go almost all day like this before the battery starts running low under 9 and about 6-7 hours under X.