Help with forum render-problem in IE

• Posted: 16 February 2002 10:02 AM

Take a look at this thread over at a DMB message board I read every once and a while.  I don’t normally post there except to help with Mac problems, so hence this post here about it.  It seems that IE 5.1.2 in OS X and 9 have problems rendering pages in the forum.  The discussion there outlines the problem.  Anyone have some ideas about a solution?

Thanks,
    Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 14 February 2002 10:27 PM #1

I’m using IE 5.1.3 in Mac OS X and the page loaded fine (except it seems that one or two avatar icons (if thats waht they are) dont’ load.)  Doesn’t seem like a big deal to me.  Do you have a screenshot?

• Posted: 15 February 2002 02:48 AM #2

There’s a link on the page to screenshots of the problem.  I believe it’s about 2/3 down on page one of the thread.

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 15 February 2002 08:19 AM #3

Brad,

You and your friend need to:
    a) update to IE 5.1.3 (as a matter of principle, damnyou!)
    b) Your table width thing appears to be on the mark, or at least partially. You may want to ask the forum admin(s) to change that in the settings.  I have never used vBulletin, but it *appears* to be a template called showthread where this can be changed to a more Mac-friendly layout.  (How I know: There is a demo admin panel here that will permit you to change all the bits and bobs on a faked board.)

HTH.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raena on 2002-02-15 12:21 ]</font>

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 15 February 2002 11:13 AM #4

It still happens in IE 5.1.3 and the board admin doesn’t want to make the change.  The weird thing is that IE isn’t choking on other VBullentin-based boards.

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 15 February 2002 10:52 PM #5

Well THAT’s odd; it didn’t work that way for me in 5.1.3.  At least, not on that thread.  Is there a particuar thread you could point us to, where that shows up?

If it doesn’t happen on other boards then evidently it’s definitely that group’s layout and the admin guy’s being a meanie.  How rude. *snif*

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 16 February 2002 10:02 AM #6

It happens on almost every thread for me and the others who experience it in IE.  It doesn’t bother me because I normally use OmniWeb.

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer