Shakeups at Apple

• Posted: 17 February 2002 05:16 AM

ZDNet reports on two execs leaving Apple:

Financial site JAGfn reports the possibility of a IBM 45$/share bid for buying Apple:

Thoughts?

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 16 February 2002 11:19 AM #1

The first story is dated 1997.  A liiiiiittle bit old?

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Posted: 16 February 2002 12:39 PM #2

Yeah, the first story is a “blast from the past” kind of piece from when Steve first took over.

This second business though…  I find it difficult to believe that IBM doesn’t understand that Apple’s success lies with Steve and that Steve doesn’t make a good employee…

A strange rumor indeed.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 16 February 2002 02:05 PM #3

While on the one hand I tend to agree that Apple would do the best on its own…

...Imagine if IBM started using OS X server in place of Linux in its Enterprise Server line-up. If it bought out Motorola’s PPC guys and started producing all the chips for Macs. With a name like IBM behind it, suddenly questions of Apple’s legitimacy in the corporate world are gone, and even MS will be forced to play ball by finally providing a good version of Office for an IBM sponsored OS (I’m sure anybody who used OS2 knows what I’m talking about).

Imagine OS X running on a System with multiple Power processors…

It would be rather bizarre, and again who knows if it would work, but it could be cool.

Signature

Homer (to Chinese guide): You guys are Commies? Then why am I seeing rudimentary free markets?
    Chinese Audience: (massive collective sushh sound)
    -Simpsons, Season 16 Episode 12

• Posted: 16 February 2002 05:04 PM #4

> Imagine if IBM started using OS X server in place of Linux in its
    > Enterprise Server line-up.

I don’t think IBM would be so quick to replace Linux—they have invested $1B in it, and have released new products featuring it lately (eg. “Raptor” mainframe). They do seem to be making some success on the running of Linux in it’s own LPAR on the mainframe, or under Z/VM.

I don’t really understand where this leaves AIX—I guess this is still the offering on their Unix servers, however I don’t know where there linux push leaves AIX in the future.

Maybe there is a place for MacOSX Server in their lower end, as an alternative to Win2000/WinXP, rather than Linux/AIX.

IBM could always tackle MacOSX server on 4+ processors, and Apple could stick to 1-2. That way IBM could go after the enterprise server market, and promote MacOSX, without directly competing with Apples mainly consumer/professional product line; whilst Apple would still make greater revenues from the licensing of MacOSX Server on IBMs products.

If IBM were successful in the Enterprise, Apple would be more successful overall.

• Posted: 16 February 2002 09:15 PM #5

Sorry about that first link.  I swear I found it linked to somewhere as news from today.  Hmmm.

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 16 February 2002 09:43 PM #6

Wouldn’t it be neat if Woz were really coming back to Apple, though?  I can’t imagine why he’d want to give up his freedom, but it would be nice for the rest of us.

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

• Posted: 17 February 2002 04:05 AM #7

IBM won’t be dumping Linux anytime soon. Rumor has it they will be bringing back OS/2, on the server end anyway. I don’t see IBM buying Apple, why buy a company to compete with your own products? Unless you just wanted to dissolve it, which wouldn’t make much sense either.

• Posted: 17 February 2002 04:15 AM #8

It would be nice however if Steve would be wise enough to get IBM in some sort of deal where they make the big servers and apple makes the workstations. Because even though Apple sells “servers” they aren’t more than beefed up G4 towers. But IBM with all its experience in servers, getting OS X server out might work.

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver

• Posted: 17 February 2002 05:16 AM #9

> It would be nice however if Steve would be wise enough to get IBM in
    > some sort of deal where they make the big servers and apple makes the
    > workstations. Because even though Apple sells “servers” they aren’t more > than beefed up G4 towers. But IBM with all its experience in servers,
    > getting OS X server out might work.

I think it would work. As long as they ensured there was enough gap in price and performance between their products, so Apple’s market wasn’t eroded.

It would be very costly, and a diversion from Apple’s core market, to produce a mid -> high end server. However, if they are serious in pursuing a product like MacOSX Server, then they need to provide a mid -> high end platform; otherwise it will have limited appeal, due to the lack of scalable and reliable hardware.

IBM’s current UNIX lineup with Power processors isn’t suited. However, it wouldn’t be too hard for them to take their technology in the p Seriers 660, and produce 4,6 and 8 way servers, with a 32-bit Power PC processor.
    Then it leaves the door open for supporting a 64-bit version of MacOSX Server.

Whether there is a market remains to be seen, but not too much would be lost if it didn’t work out