OS X books…

• Posted: 18 June 2001 06:11 AM

Anyone read any of the latest OS X books? Which ones are good for us “power users” (read, those who already know what the Dock is)?

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 15 June 2001 10:01 AM #1

Hi Rodney.  God I love living in the same state as you, hehe.

I bought the new O’Reilly books, Learning Cocoa, Learning Carbon, and Applescript in a Nutshell, they should arrive by the end of next week.  If you want we can get together at the next Mini’app’les meeting and I can tell you about them. 

The programming industry desperately needs a definitive guide to Cocoa programming, and we are finally getting it.  Can you tell I am excited?

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 03:33 PM #2

Those sound promising. I will have to stop by a meeting to check them out.

Also, will there be any books that talk about such cool things as NetInfo Manager?

Signature

• Posted: 17 June 2001 10:31 PM #3

Hmm I have heard about something like that.  I’m sure NetInfo would be a very useful thing for any new Mac OS X user to understand.  Seems like Apple kind of dropped the ball with ease of use with NetInfo, but hey they didn’t create it after all, and it was there, so…  Let me check my sources…

Try these, straight from the horses mouth…
    http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60038?OpenDocument&macosxs;
    http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n30832

As for books… no idea.  NetInfo looks like stuff meant for real Unix system admins, which is scary since as Mac Users we have never really needed them before.  I know that one of the most attractive things about macs for schools is that they basically need no tech support and they are easy enough for teachers to set up their own networks.  If I come across anything, I’ll let you know.

Andre Benassi
    andre.dsl.visi.com
    Amateur Mac programmer

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 18 June 2001 01:15 AM #4

(uh, Bryan, I accidentally edited your post instead of replying to it. Doh!)

Anyway, you said somethign like this…

“Rodney,

I’m finishing up OS X for Dummies for a review. It is a good reference book to keep handy for power users.

Todd Stauffer is working on an advanced book.”

(Sorry, Bryan)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iBrotha on 2001-06-18 09:10 ]</font>

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 06:11 AM #5

I just thumbed through David Hart’s book _OS X for Web Admins_ (or something like that. It’s still not I’m looking for, but it’s a start. I’m sure that Todd Stauffer’s book will fill my needs.

BTW, I’m finishing up an exam copy of Gene Steinberg’s _The OS X Little Black Book_ for a review.

Signature