Video capture with Apple TV/Video card

• Posted: 19 February 2002 08:15 PM

Today I received an Apple TV/Video card that I got on eBay.  I installed it in my Performa 630 and it works nicely. 

I was wondering if anyone knows what its limits are as far as video capture, if any.  What length of video clip can I get at once?  I had been thinking I could save the video to another computer’s larger hard disk live over Ethernet since the Performa only has 250 MB of space.  However, it seems that it compresses the video after you are done capturing, which leads me to believe it is stored in RAM.  I have 36 MB.  Is that going to be the limiting factor here?

Also, does anyone have some general advice or tips on the use of this card?

• Posted: 19 February 2002 04:11 PM #1

I don’t think it will store it in RAM, I thought most programs would automatically store it to the hard disk.  250MB of uncompressed video is approximately 2.5 minutes of RAW DV.  that could be a painful experience. 

You may not be able to offload video directly to a remote machine if the network connection can’t keep up with the video signal. 

Signature

All statements are to be taken with a grain of salt

• Posted: 19 February 2002 08:15 PM #2

I don’t think it will store it in RAM, I thought most programs would automatically store it to the hard disk.  250MB of uncompressed video is approximately 2.5 minutes of RAW DV.  that could be a painful experience. 

You may not be able to offload video directly to a remote machine if the network connection can’t keep up with the video signal.

It can capture video at varying levels of quality, and I don’t need the best. I just thought it would be nice to record stuff to watch later on the computer and maybe save to a CD for future use.  I think the Ethernet connection will be enough, at least for lower resolution capture, as long as there’s some way to make the software do it.

That said, I haven’t played around with this very much so I have no idea what I can do with it exactly.  It did come with Avid, so I’ll have to play with that and see what it can do.  (Does that work directly with the card, or is it for editing files that I’ve already stored?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2002-02-20 00:16 ]</font>