WE WILL NEVER ASK FOR YOUR NAME AND PASSWORD!

• Posted: 14 June 2001 08:38 AM

You know, I was sitting back thinking about the time that I was actually asked for my AOL password on AOL.  It was many years ago, I believe, because it has been many years since I had an AOL account, but I was just dumbfounded that some numbnut would actually try to get someone’s password by asking for it in an AOL IM when AOL put their darned “WE WILL NEVER ASK…” notices everywhere you looked.  I mean, who in their right mind would actually give up their password to someone asking?  But the mere fact that someone was asking was indicative that people would give it up.

So what’s my point?  I don’t really have one, but I was kind of interested to see if anyone else had similar stories.

Signature

This is my non-working persona, so don’t hold it against me.  grin

This post was brought to you by Mac OS X.

• Posted: 14 June 2001 08:38 AM #1

Well, even without a point, I still enjoyed your storytelling. That is what this Chit-chat forum is for, after all!

And indeed, your story rings true with me. I too used to have an AOL account, and was likewise astounded that people just didn’t_get_the_point: “Don’t give out your name and password” usually means you shouldn’t give out your name and password.

But while I enjoy bashing AOL as much as the next guy, I do feel that AOL, increasingly, holds an important place in helping the Internet become a better place: AOL Time-Warner is coming more and more into conflict with Microsoft.

I would trust neither company with singlehandedly improving the internet, but if either is to succeed, it will have to compete vigorusly with the other, which will bring costs down and speed new technologies to market. And that’s good for consumers.

So, who knows? Maybe having two evils face off will result in a little goodness! Thoughts?

—Ricky Spero
    The Mac Observer

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer