Adobe Announces Photoshop 7.0

• Posted: 25 February 2002 06:43 PM

In a comparatively low-key way, Adobe Systems has announced Photoshop 7.0, which offers full compatibility with Mac OS 9.x and, as Adobe puts it, the latest features in Mac OS X.

Photoshop 7 is a simultaneous release for the latest Mac and Windows operating systems. The latest version of Adobe’s flagship image-editing software will be available in the 2nd quarter of 2002. The upgrade cost for registered users of Photoshop 6.0 is $149.00.

Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Press Release

Speaking personally, I use a Lombard G3/400 for mobile work and much of my Web design activities. Moving back and forth between OS X and Mac OS 9 is laborious and time consuming. Sure, I could run design software in Classic, but it does ding performance and consumes much of my available RAM. I have waited on upgrading my PowerBook pending the release of OS X compliant versions of Photoshop and other design software I use almost daily.

I believe this is good news for Apple and investors seriously considering a stake in AAPL. Designers who make heavy use of Photoshop now have a definitive answer to the question of when an OS X compliant version of Photoshop will be available (although we still have to wait for 2nd quarter 2002 release) in order to make plans to upgrade their hardware to make better use of OS X’s features.

I’d like to see more information made available concerning the development efforts for Cocoa versions of OS X software and I’m looking to the WWDC later this year for updates on the status of those efforts.

For now, Carbon versions of OS X compliant applications are what Mac users can expect from most major developers and we can assume revenue from the sale of the first versions of Mac OS X compliant products will help fund Cocoa development efforts.

Nonetheless, the release of the first OS X complaint versions of major design software such as Photoshop should be welcome news for Apple, AAPL investors and Mac designers who have delayed hardware upgrades while waiting for concrete information as to when they can expect to benefit from OS X and many of its more advanced features (IMHO).

Robert

Posted: 25 February 2002 06:43 PM #1

This is really the big one, folks. I know of a few companies that have been putting off the switch to MacOS X for that reason alone: Lack of support for Photoshop. One of those companies is preparing to purchase the Dual GHz PowerMac G4, and upgrade everything in one fell swoop when his lease agreements are up for renewal.

In fact, Adobe is probably the last _MAJOR_ gap in the professional graphics and multimedia adoption of MacOS X. Every other major application left to port already has competition in it’s field already, and in fact, most of that competition is by Adobe. Xpress isn’t MacOS X compatable, but InDesign is, and is making major inroads to Quark territory. Macromedia Flash isn’t ported yet, but LiveMotion and ToonBoom Studio are both ready to lure users away. Same situation with Dreamweaver and GoLive.

Perhaps the only field left that haven’t been serviced by ports and new applications are the professional music and audio industries.

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KitsuneStudios on 2002-02-25 22:44 ]</font>

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.