What was your first computer?

Posted: 10 July 2001 04:10 PM

What computer did you first start using?  I realize this may be different from “what was the first computer you owned?” so kick that in too if you want.  I am just curious about the path that Mac users take to get here.

Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in their success, but in the way they achieved and maintain that success.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bryan on 2001-06-14 03:53 ]</font>

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 14 June 2001 01:32 AM #1

The first computer I ever used was a Commadore (I think) in first grade.  Later on a used a Classic or Classic II a couple times in fifth grade.  Finally, the first computer my family actually owned was an LC 475.  We got it because my dad was a teacher and he wanted to get the same type of computers that they used at school.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-14 04:37 ]</font>

• Posted: 14 June 2001 05:40 AM #2

Atari (2600?) Home Computer, circa 1982. Complete with a tape drive for storing files on regular cassettes.

Got jealous over friends with Commodore 64 with 5.25” floppy drive and all the great games.

Signature

“Instead of leaving, they’re staying in droves.”
    -Heddey Lamar.

“That’s HEADLEY”

• Posted: 14 June 2001 06:51 AM #3

Mine was the Commodore 128. My, at the time, stepmother was big into tupperware and had so many points she got the computer for free. Dang, that brings back some memories.

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 14 June 2001 08:05 AM #4

I first used and owned a Commodore 64 with a FastLode Cartridge! Next, I went to the darkside with a PC 486/25MHz, 4 MB of RAM, 280MB of HD, and Windows 3.1.  I finally saw the light and purchased a Performa 6300CD 603e/100MHz, 16MB of RAM, 1GB HD, and System 7.5.  After 5 years of using it, I purchased an iMac DV SE (Oct. 99 Edition) and have recently upgraded it to 384MB of RAM.

• Posted: 14 June 2001 08:20 AM #5

Interesting question.

I had an Atari 800, which BTW was a total kick-butt gaming machine for its day, and then moved to the Atari 130se, then an Apple //c+ (with the 3.5 inch drive, not the big drive, which was a big deal at the time), and then a 7200/90 and now the B&W G3/400. 

Now that OS X has solved the stability problems I was having with the B&W with OS 8/9, I see little reason to update this machine for the time being.  Yes, it is a little on the slow side, but we are certainly not talking unusable slow, or even hampering slow.  I do need a better graphics card (somebody PLEASE write OS X drivers for the Voodoo5), but a Radeon 2, provided there is a PCI option, is likely going to fit that bill.

But I digress…

There are days that I miss playing Blue Max on the old Atari 800.  *sigh*

Signature

You better eat him Mitch…before I do.

Posted: 14 June 2001 02:26 PM #6

I actually forgot to post my own first computer…

I started off on an Apple ][, and then got to use an Apple //e.  These were at school.  The first computer than I owned was a, wait for it, TI99-4a!

What an *awesome* computer!  Wait, no it wasn’t.  It sucked.

In any event, the first Mac I owned was a Power100 from Power Computing.  Before that, it was Kinko’s land for me.

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 14 June 2001 05:48 PM #7

Letsee…

That tiny little Timex Sinclair was the first (with tape drive), My school’s TRS-80s and Apples (one of the very first) during early eighties… Then the middle school’s Macintoshs and TRS-80s… Then I got a Commodore Colt (their version of a PC) in 1987.  It was all PC junk since then…

Anyone own an Altair?  Or a Heathkit computer?

J

• Posted: 14 June 2001 08:06 PM #8

I am Mr. Purity here then !

My first computer was a Performa 5215CD, bought in 1996. I have used computers elsewhere, PCs and Macs, but as far as owning is concerned, I’ve been 100% Mac.

Munger

Posted: 14 June 2001 08:40 PM #9

On 2001-06-14 23:06, Michael Munger wrote:
    I am Mr. Purity here then !

Munger

Ha! 

Signature

• Posted: 14 June 2001 08:57 PM #10

Ohhh Bump, I like your style. I too was the proud owner of the Timex Sinclair 1000 (with a mighty 2k RAM). After that, I graduated to the TRS-80 color computer 2 and then to the CoCo 3 (512k baby!) At the time I couldn’t imagine what I’d ever do with 512k. WOW!

I think I can beat you guys with the oldest computer I ever used though. Remember the Commodore PET? Now that was a clunky piece of garbage! It could show any color you wanted. As long as that color was green.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 14 June 2001 09:06 PM #11

I think I can beat you guys with the oldest computer I ever used though. Remember the Commodore PET? Now that was a clunky piece of garbage! It could show any color you wanted. As long as that color was green.

LOL!!!!!  That’s an awesome line Photodan.

Nice. 

Signature

• Posted: 15 June 2001 04:47 AM #12

my first computer? AN ALTAIR!.....just kidding.

the first computer i ever touched was a 32K apple ][ with a cassette loader. what a pain.

the first i ever owned was a 48K apple ][+ with 5.25’’ floppy drive, apple game paddles, and an amdek monochrome display. a very cool machine. anyone remember PR#6?

• Posted: 15 June 2001 05:21 AM #13

A beautiful Commodore Amiga 1000.

God, what an incredible line of machines marketed by incredibly inept management… brilliant engineers and developers, though.

I owned 12 Amigas, the last a Video Toaster 4000. All my multimedia and video was done on Amigas from 1985-1994, and all my print and illustration work has been done on Macs from 1985-present. My studio only runs Macs now.

In fact, my first at-home Mac was a set of Macintosh ROMs on a emulator board that went inside my Amiga A2000. Funny, it actually ran FASTER than my at-work studio BW Macs, and ran MORE apps with LESS memory required! Go figure…

I have clients who ask me to operate SGI and Windoze systems as well. God, I dislike Microsoft’s OS’es. Life is just too short to waste time fooling with it…

• Posted: 15 June 2001 06:30 AM #14

Computers through the years:
    1: TRS-80 Color Computer
    2: Atari 800
    3: Atari 1200XL
    4: TandyPC (8086)
    5: FranklinPC (8088)
    6: Packard Bell 286
    7: Quadra 605 Mac
    8: PowerMac 6100
    9: PowerMac 8500
    10: PowerMac G3/266
    11: PowerBook G3/333
    12: PowerMac G4/400 AGP
    13: PowerBook G4/500

Damn… If I could take all the money spent on these machines through the years, I’d be one rich sob…

• Posted: 15 June 2001 06:41 AM #15

Well I have been all over the universe. Started out in HS with a Commodore Pet, then worked on the Vic20. Then I bought my first personal the Timex Sinclair. Next moved up to the Commodore 64 and then the 128. Got friendly with the Amiga 500, then the Amiga 2000. Finally succumbed to the darkside with the purchase of a Packard Bell 8088 processor PC with a “GREEN” monitor. Total cost $1800. Purchased Compaqs from the point on up to the Pentium II processor and finally was saved with the purchase of an iMac. What made me get it? The design and the talk of OSX. First day was a terror! I crashed the Mac! But as I came to understand it I began to take in it’s beauty. Sold all my PCs and now I have G4 Cube 450, G4 DP450, and an ibook (new design). I’ll never go back - NEVER! LOL!