What was your first computer?

• Posted: 15 June 2001 09:28 AM #31

in 1984 my dad bought a mac se30. i was about 3 1/2 years old and i started learning how to use it. i’ve kept using new macs that he bought and a few years ago i bought my own starmax (motorola mac clone, remember?). i still use it today (with g3 upgrade) but lust after the g4’s and new ibook. hey, i’m a poor college student!!!

it has all payed off being a mac addict because i have a graphic design job and use macs there all day. life can’t get much better…...

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 15 June 2001 09:32 AM #32

Hey, I have a StarMax 6000, their CHRP prototype.  Very interesting machine.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 10:14 AM #33

I used to drool over my friends Apple ][e until I got one of my own, my first computer.  I was in 3rd grade at the time when I first became interested (that was, I think, 1985).  I used to correct spelling tests for my 4th grade teacher just so I could stay after school and play Word Munchers.  Then I got my parents to buy me my own computer ($500 Apple ][e) and I beat Legacy of the Ancients before moving on to Might & Magic 2, which was a hard hard game to beat, and I never did.

I programmed my first program that year, it was a D&D character generator using Apple ][e Basic (real name? I dunno).  I skewed the dice rolls so horribly that I made unbelievable characters to play with (hehe, the power of the programmer).

Then my parents upgraded their comp to a Performa 6115CD (with my cojoling) and that computer put me through college.  As a graduation present to myself I bought a G4/450 AGP the day they came out and received it about a month later.  My parents now have an iMac DV/SE and my sister when she goes off to college will hopefully have a new iBook, if I have anything to say about it.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 10:16 AM #34

My first computer was an Atari 400 with 16k of pure power (still own it by the way)

Followed by the following:

Atari 800xl
    Atari 65xe
    Atari 520st
    Atari 1040st
    Atari 1040ste
    Atari Falcon030
    Atari Portfolio
    Apple Color Classic
    Apple Performa 6320CD
    Apple Performa 6200
    Apple 7300 (G4 400 upgrade / 224 mb)
    Apple eMate
    Newton 130MP

I loved my Atari stuff, I migrated to Apple because Atari was all but done and Apple seemed to have a similar cult following.  Plus MagicMac available which let me run my Atari ST/Falcon stuff on the Mac. 

I’m probably more fanatical about Apple now, than I was for Atari then.
    I hate being in the norm and both Atari and Apple have allowed be outside the main stream.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 10:38 AM #35

The first I used was probably a Commodore PET, or something similar, in Primary School.  From then on it was a mixture of Apple II, Apple III, Acorn BBC Micro (Rev A & B), Sinclair ZX 80, ZX 81, ZX Spectrums and Research Machines in Secondary School.

I remember buying a magazine with the first UK review of the Mac in ‘84 (I was 14 on the day of its release) and sitting at home trying to figure out how long I would have to save to get one - something like 20 years on the pocket money I was getting at the time.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 11:50 AM #36

1 - Built Altair 8080 (programmed in binary using switches)
    2 - Built no-name Z-80 (programmed in Hex with LCD readout)
    3 - TRS-80 with cassette
    4 - Apple ][e
    5 - Digital Systems Rainbow 100 (keyboard plugged into monitor)
    6 - IBM PC (original)
    7 - Compaq Desktop (don’t remember model)
    8 - Powerbook 170
    9 - PowerMac 6100
    10- PowerMac 9500
    11- iMac DV

Signature

Built for OS X

• Posted: 15 June 2001 12:12 PM #37

Ahh… those were the days…

My first computer was a Mattel Aquarius… I asked my parents for a Colecovision, but instead they thought a computer would be a better way to go (for education purposes).  Boy am I glad they did! 

After the Aquarius, I got a Commodore 64, then a 286, then a 386, then a 486 and then an AMD K6-350, THEN I saw the light and bought my first Macintosh… The B&W 350.  Ever since I got that I havent even considered looking at a different platform.

I now use my B&W 350, an iBook 500, an iBook 350, and Ill be getting a dual G4 this July!

Andrew

• Posted: 15 June 2001 12:19 PM #38

A leading edge Model “D”....

amber display, two 5 1/4 floppies, and I believe a switch on the back to run the processor 8 or a blazing 12 megahertz!

what, nobody here ever ran a machine by Coleco known as “Adam”????

• Posted: 15 June 2001 12:28 PM #39

I heard that Adam got together with Lucy and they had an illegitimate baBe. Until Amiga came around claiming to be it’s uncle.

Signature

“Instead of leaving, they’re staying in droves.”
    -Heddey Lamar.

“That’s HEADLEY”

• Posted: 15 June 2001 12:35 PM #40

Man oh man…the memories.

Started out in 1982 with an Atari 400 (16K RAM!), BASIC cartridge and an Atari 410 tape drive…got an Indus GT 5 1/4” floppy drive the next year. That was a cool black drive with a smoked plastic flip-up front cover…it was a double density, single side drive…what was that a whole 190K? Remember how many games you could store on one disk? and they could run in 16K of RAM. Upgraded to a 1200XL (64K of RAM!) and then to a 130XE (which I upgraded to 128K of RAM! I could have a RAM disk with that much memory).

In 1987 I moved to the 16-bit world with an Atari 520ST which I upgraded to a whole meg of memory. This was the newer model that had TOS on ROM instead of a boot disk. Then I got a Mac emulator cart(with Mac ROMs)...I don’t remember the name but it was made by David Small and came in a brown paper bag. I ran System 3.2…it was so cool. I also got a cool Astra combo 3 1/2 floppy and 20 meg hard drive (a Rodime 3/12 full height) it was only about $1000.

My first Mac was a 512…loved it. Then moved into a Performa 600…felt a little cheated but still loved it. In 1996 I bought a 7600/120 and have had it ever since. Have added RAM, put in a G3 upgrade, crashed my 1.2 meg hard drive, new video cards, USB, etc. What a great machine!

I am close to getting my first PowerBook…a TiBook of course. I can’t wait!

Thanks for letting me take this trip down memory lane. Nearly 20 years of computers and am still looking forward to many years to come. I have never regretted my move to Apple and I will always be a die hard Mac fan. I can’t wait to see what the next 20 years will bring.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 12:37 PM #41

1. Apple II+
    2. Apple IIe (later “enhanced” or extended to 512k of RAM I believe)
    3. Mac LC
    3a. Powerbook 140 (forgot this one)
    4. Mac IIvx
    5. Mac 6500 (G3 card added later)
    6. iMac Rev.a (my sister’s)
    7. Pismo 500 (MINE!)

I’ve used various other machines over the years (IBM 286’s, Sun UltraSparcs, Dells, a Commodore 64 oce or twice) but Apples and Macs are what we had at home and what I bought for myself.

-PG

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PismoGuy on 2001-06-15 15:40 ]</font>

Posted: 15 June 2001 12:41 PM #42

On 2001-06-15 15:35, Anonymous wrote:
    Man oh man…the memories.

Thanks for letting me take this trip down memory lane. Nearly 20 years of computers and am still looking forward to many years to come. I have never regretted my move to Apple and I will always be a die hard Mac fan. I can’t wait to see what the next 20 years will bring.

Well said, anonymous.   

Now, register and hang out here more often.  We’d love to have you.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 12:44 PM #43

kind of scary to look back at the number of computers owned. don’t even want to think about the amount of money spent.
    started on a pdp-8 in high school then started buying computers.

timex sinclair (with the 16k expansion pack)
    vic 20
    commodore 64
    commodore 128
    amiga 500
    amiga 1200
    generic 386 (for games)
    duo 520
    generic 486 (had to keep playing ultima)
    quadra 650
    pentium (more games)
    8500/150
    upgraded the pentium to a PII
    Graphite G4

the macs have always been my work machines and most of the others were for game playing.

m benedetti

• Posted: 15 June 2001 01:06 PM #44

a little 16k Texas Instruments that came as a kit.
    TRS-80
    Apple, AppleII

The first one that I owned was a 16k Texas Instruments, then a MacIIsi (nice box).

daniel

• Posted: 15 June 2001 02:34 PM #45

Timex Sinclair 1000
    Commodore Vic 20
    Commodore 64
    Mac Plus
    TRS-80 Model 100
    Mac Quadra 605
    Powerbook 520c
    PowerMac 8500/120
    iBook!

Signature