New Music Forum?

• Posted: 21 July 2001 11:38 AM

The addition of the Macworld Expo gave me an idea. What do the Observer’s forum gods think of dedicating a forum to music? It could be the homebase for talking about digital encoding, hardware, software, pro audio (like using Pro Tools and Cubase), burning, and even more general stuff like the *Guess the Lyrics* post.

One thing I use my computer a lot is for music. I’m just starting to explore digital recording and mastering, and any help there would be incredible.

Also, with all the mp3 questions for people who just started getting into CD-R burning would be beneficial too. So would comments and reviews on applications like Roxio Toast, iTunes, MusicMatch, etc.

Not sure if there’s enough demand right now for this to be it’s own forum, but thought I’d throw it out for suggestion.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 17 July 2001 10:35 AM #1

That does sound like a great idea Bryan, how about it?

• Posted: 17 July 2001 10:50 AM #2

I agree.  I have taken quite an interest of late into making music on my Mac.  Anyone an expert?

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 17 July 2001 11:32 AM #3

Retro, I’m hoping we find the experts! If so, I’ll have a bunch of questions myself - especially dealing with the recording/music making aspect.

I’m sure Bryan is up to his ears with the expo right now, so maybe when he gets back we can revisit this idea. Which, BTW, I’m soooo gigged about the expo tomorrow morning. I’ve been waiting to buy a mac since the beginning of June and thought this day would never come! I just hope it doesn’t take too long to get whatever it is I order tomorrow - which will be something!

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 17 July 2001 01:00 PM #4

My recommendation to you:  If you are planning on purchasing a particular model, don’t buy the fastest one “shipping” unless you don’t mind waiting another month.  Such is the nature of new processor releases.  Everyone wants the fastest one, and they run out extremely quick.

Signature

Posted: 20 July 2001 11:03 PM #5

Hey Guys,

This is a great idea.  Chris Rogers, who writes the DigitalMac DigitalMusic column for us, ia interested in modding a forum like this.  Please help flesh the idea out some more though.  Are you wanting a forum dedicated to creating and listening to music on the Mac or a forum about music?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 21 July 2001 05:02 AM #6

Creating music, through MIDI and/or other instruments using hardware like the MOTU boards.  That’s what I would like to see.  It would be very helpful!

Signature

• Posted: 21 July 2001 08:08 AM #7

If I had to choose one if would definitely be the *creating and listening* cataegory. I’m certainly more interested in knowledge about home recording like Retro says.

But, if topics about ripping and burning MP3s and such made it in there I wouldn’t mind helping out on those as I have mucho time spent there.

Maybe the more general music stuff like the lyrics post can stay in the lounge area.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 21 July 2001 11:37 AM #8

Yeah.  I agree with Dingo and Retro.  Keep the posts on favorite music or lyrics, etc. in the lounge.  The new music forum can be on the creating and listening aspects of music on the computer.  This could include MIDI, composition software, recording equipment/software, compression, delivery, and speakers.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 21 July 2001 11:38 AM #9

Oh, and Bryan, this is another great forum idea for “The Creative Caf?” idea.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer