Checking how website looks in IE

• Posted: 22 April 2006 09:15 PM

I have just commenced, and am still developing, my own website (thanks in part to help I have previously obtained on this forum).  It is at:  

One problem I have encountered is making the site appear consistently across browsers.  I run OS10.4 and have both Safari and Firefox, so they are easy, but I don’t have Internet Explorer - I think it is no longer being updated for Mac, and I couldn’t find anyway to download it.

Eventually I was able to test it on someone else’s Mac (IE 5.2) and someone else’s PC (latest version), and I found that it showed OK on the PC but not on the Mac version.  Now that doesn’t worry me much, because I don’t think many Mac users use IE any more, but my problem is this:

how do I test for compatibility with IE if the only Mac version I can find does not produce the same result as the PC version?

Thanks

Signature

"Between the idea and the reality .... falls the shadow." T S Eliot (how to be happy?)  inner and outer space

• Posted: 07 June 2006 05:33 AM #1

You may be able to find it on an old AOL disk.

...and your site looks good in IE7 beta on XP Pro.

Signature

I’m out of time, patience and my mind… but I have plenty of excuses.

• Posted: 07 June 2006 06:51 AM #2

Thanks for info.  It helps, and is encouraging.  But don’t you wish we didn’t have to rely on cross checking each other, but rather all browsers presented things the same???

Signature

"Between the idea and the reality .... falls the shadow." T S Eliot (how to be happy?)  inner and outer space

Posted: 07 June 2006 12:58 PM #3

[quote author=“ercatli”]But don’t you wish we didn’t have to rely on cross checking each other, but rather all browsers presented things the same???

You, me and every other web developer wishes that was the case, but it’s not the case. I just recently built a pc just for this cost me about $150 total.

I was thinking of getting an intel mac for this, but having to reboot every time I want to see something isn’t an option.

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

• Posted: 10 June 2006 02:04 PM #4

Another approach is to make sure your website looks good on a finicky browser such as Firefox. I have found that anything that works in Firefox on a Mac looks fine in Windows IE.

Signature

It’s safe as long as you remember it’s dangerous…

Posted: 13 June 2006 10:42 AM #5

[quote author=“Roger”]Another approach is to make sure your website looks good on a finicky browser such as Firefox. I have found that anything that works in Firefox on a Mac looks fine in Windows IE.

I am a little confused on how you consider Firefox a “finicky” browser. I make all my sites standards complaint (or as standard compliant as the client’s needs allows) and all work great in Firefox but not always in IE.

I wouldn’t assume that because a site works in Firefox that it works everywhere else.

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

• Posted: 21 June 2006 06:03 PM #6

This is not a criticism of Firefox. On my Mac (home) Safari is my default browser. On a PC (work) Firefox is my default. I’d rate FF as one of the best if not the best. That said, my experience designing web pages is that if a page looks good on FF it invariably renders well in IE. But I do all my HTML by hand-coding (no superfluous code) so maybe pages designed with WISWYG apps behave differently… I’ve not really made an effort to make my pages standards-compliant. I check the code in BBEdit, and if it checks out, I post the page. But this does not ensure standards-compliance; it does tend to lessen bad behavior.

Signature

It’s safe as long as you remember it’s dangerous…

Posted: 13 December 2008 04:50 PM #7

I have both a Windows PC and Mac handy due to work reasons, so I can check my website in a variety of browsers. I can also see how my site looks in Opera, as I’ve enabled the hidden Safari Develop Menu. But I don’t wish to load too many browsers, as I only use some of them for testing.

When I want to check on a wide variety of browsers, I go to browsershots.org. It’s a great site and provides screenshots for a ton of browsers from Linux, Windows, Mac and BSD. The nice part is it includes different versions of the same browsers. I keep it bookmarked - below is a description from their site.

What is Browsershots?
    Browsershots makes screenshots of your web design in different browsers. It is a free open-source online service created by Johann C. Rocholl. When you submit your web address, it will be added to the job queue. A number of distributed computers will open your website in their browser. Then they will make screenshots and upload them to the central server here.

Signature

mactoids.com - work smarter
    [COLOR=“Grey”]mac os x tips and imac history[/COLOR]