Apple Acquires Zayante

• Posted: 05 April 2002 09:31 PM

Apple has announced the acquisition of Zayante , developer of FireWire solutions.

Zayante is headed by former Apple executives who played critical roles in Apple’s own development of the FireWire or IEEE1394 industry standard.

The acquistion of Zayante comes a couple of months after Apple’s acquistion of Nothing Real and other small, technology-related acquisitions.

IMHO Apple is smartly using its resources to make small but strategic investments for the inhouse develop of technology it needs for future products. This will help Apple maintain its own timetable for the development and release of new products.

• Posted: 04 April 2002 09:05 AM #1

i was just heading over to post that news   but i think you do a good job of finding stuff like this out.  now, maybe you should write a quick article to go on the front page.  right, bryan?

i wonder if it would be at all profitable for them to try to buy motorola’s chip division….....

Signature

Mac OSX. I’ve upped my standards. Up yours.

“Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won’t be certain? We’ll look around and say ‘Pardon me, did you hear something?’?”

• Posted: 04 April 2002 10:50 AM #2

On 2002-04-04 13:05, iShadow wrote:
    i was just heading over to post that news   but i think you do a good job of finding stuff like this out.  now, maybe you should write a quick article to go on the front page.  right, bryan?

i wonder if it would be at all profitable for them to try to buy motorola’s chip division….....

Oh, oh, oh! We could proabably spend years debating the issue of Apple buying Moto’s chip division. Personally, I’d rather see AMD acquire it and partner with Apple or have Apple work with IBM if Moto loses interest in further development of chips for Apple.

Apple brings a lot of revenue to the table with its chip orders and a smart chip maker would use Apple’s business to fund R&D.

BTW, Bryan did beat us to the punch on the Zayante purchase, taking advantage of the time difference and the few hours I do sleep

• Posted: 04 April 2002 01:16 PM #3

On 2002-04-04 14:50, DawnTreader wrote:
    Personally, I’d rather see AMD acquire it (Motorola’s chip division)

Ooh, I’m glad to hear I’m not an idiot for thinking that AMD buying Motorola’s piece of the pie might be a good idea.

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

• Posted: 04 April 2002 01:20 PM #4

actually, that reminds me of a question i’ve been meaning to ask, what time zone are all the posts and the articles time-stamped?  i know that at about 11am-ish when i sent that post, there wasn’t an article (i checked just before i posted to be sure   ).  and yet the article is dated the 9am update.  and my post is about 2 hours ahead of me.

or does it just take that long for the software to update the home page?

Signature

“Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won’t be certain? We’ll look around and say ‘Pardon me, did you hear something?’?”

• Posted: 04 April 2002 01:28 PM #5

oh, and it would be very interesting to have AMD buy Motorola’s chip division.  talk about speculation about osX being ported to x86 architecture would run rampant, the rivers and seas turn to blood, fire falling from the sky, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!!!  (sorry, always loved that line from ghostbusters )

it would be interesting to see what amd would be able to come up with, what new designs, but would they be able to get the chips running faster while still running cooler, so as not to require a huge air-conditioning unit inside?

or maybe if ibm would buy it, and the agreement with apple with it, they seem to be having slightly better results than motorola. 

Signature

• Posted: 05 April 2002 09:30 PM #6

On 2002-04-04 17:20, iShadow wrote:
    actually, that reminds me of a question i’ve been meaning to ask, what time zone are all the posts and the articles time-stamped?  i know that at about 11am-ish when i sent that post, there wasn’t an article (i checked just before i posted to be sure   ).  and yet the article is dated the 9am update.  and my post is about 2 hours ahead of me.

or does it just take that long for the software to update the home page?

Ok, let’s test the time on the posts

• Posted: 05 April 2002 09:31 PM #7

Ok, it appears the posts reflect the US eastern time zone. Either that or my clocks are roughly three hours behind