Macinnerd's suggestions…

Posted: 20 August 2006 02:26 PM

Okay, For a while now I have been making suggestions here and there in diverse threads, steadily cluttering up the Announcements section and hijacking other threads (sorry). So I shall just put everything here and post them here in the future.

Posted: 20 August 2006 02:28 PM #1

Article Rating System.

So, I think that it would be nice to have a system in the Article comments implying the reader to rate the article or colums with a certain number of stars or something like that, in addition to commenting bout it.

This could allow one to filter out posts that rate the article less than three stars. The article rating could become a mandatory procedure before submitting a pos in the comments. This could lead to the end of automated spam.

And I think that I’m most likely being a pain by bringing this up again, but the other thread in the Infinite loop seems to have died out.

Posted: 20 August 2006 02:29 PM #2

[quote author=“Bryan, way back in July 2001,”]HEy Hoytt,

Thanks for the suggestion. As our readership and traffic continue to grow, there is always the possibility that we could add some weekend coverage (in the future ).

Thanks again!

OK. We are now in ‘the future’. Are there still any possibilities of Week End Publishing? I know that it may be hard financially and that there may not be much to report on weekends, but it would be a nice improvement (not to mention a big step in TMO’s growth).

Posted: 20 August 2006 02:35 PM #3

Nowadays TMO publishes two podcasts: The Geek Geb and the Roundup. Both are excellent. But finding them isn’t always easy. It would be nice to have a new ‘Podcast’ link in the top menubar header thing, under the logo, featuring an introduction, links to the Geek Gab and Roundup homepages. That would give them more publicity besides making them easier to access.

Posted: 20 August 2006 02:41 PM #4

TMO is the best Mac News site that I know of. However, the design is, in my opinion, getting just a little dated (despite being excellent), especially when compared to MacNN’s homepage, for example. The forums are simply the best around the Mac web (Macnn’s forums, by comparison, are absolutely hideous). All I’m saying is that perhaps a little dash of 3D and depth to the logo and the header or something like that could do some good.

Posted: 20 August 2006 02:49 PM #5

The Classic Mac Help forum is getting less and less active. I propose creating a specific forum for older Macs, which would be the place for assistance with older Mac, all of the old Mac discussion, tips and tricks, trivia, etc…

Posted: 21 August 2006 06:54 AM #6

I had mentioned this a few months ago, but didn’t really get a reply. It would be good to have an iPod support forum around, maybe in the Support boards or in the iPod Observer.

Posted: 21 August 2006 06:57 AM #7

Speaking of the iPod Observer, the current ‘community’ section leads to the TMO forums. It would be better if the user could stay within the iPod Observer at all times, instead of being redirected to TMO when going to the ‘community’.

Posted: 21 August 2006 07:00 AM #8

macinnerd wrote:

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:36 pm —

jinkies wrote:
    Maybe if we were /. this would work, but I’m not in favor of people’s opinions being rated. Just because I’m passing clever, I get ****? Feh.

Actually the original idea was for you to rate the story or column. If you think it stinks, give it one star. If you think it’s great, give it five, that type of thing.

and then macinnerd wrote:

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:28 pm

So, I think that it would be nice to have a system in the Article comments implying the reader to rate the article or colums with a certain number of stars or something like that, in addition to commenting bout it.

Am I missing something? Do you want the TMO staff to rate the story or the readers?

macinnerd wrote:

TMO is the best Mac News site that I know of. However, the design is, in my opinion, getting just a little dated (despite being excellent), especially when compared to MacNN’s homepage, for example.

:wink:  I think the site looks just fine the way it is, IMO.

macinnerd wrote:

OK. We are now in ‘the future’. Are there still any possibilities of Week End Publishing? I know that it may be hard financially and that there may not be much to report on weekends, but it would be a nice improvement (not to mention a big step in TMO’s growth).

:D I agree with this, weekend coverage would be a GREAT addition to TMO.

macinnerd wrote:

The Classic Mac Help forum is getting less and less active. I propose creating a specific forum for older Macs, which would be the place for assistance with older Mac, all of the old Mac discussion, tips and tricks, trivia, etc…

The Classic forum is getting less active, but it’s not quite dead yet (like the SETI forum). I’m in favor of leaving it “as is” for now.

That’s my 2?.

Posted: 21 August 2006 07:03 AM #9

[quote author=“burreyeann”]
    Am I missing something? Do you want the TMO staff to rate the story or the readers?

Readers.

The Classic forum is getting less active, but it’s not quite dead yet (like the SETI forum). I’m in favor of leaving it “as is” for now.

The SETI forum has been entirely demolished about a week ago. The site is now occupied by a used car dealership.  raspberry

Posted: 22 August 2006 12:44 PM #10

Dear Diary,

ooooooooooRecently I noticed the effectiveness of liking forum topics to the front news page. The thread is twice more active than it would be without the link from the main page. This is something to be encouraged. I hope that we will see Hot Forum Topics more frequently in the future.

Posted: 22 August 2006 02:45 PM #11

Just a word of encouragement even though some of these suggestions will never see the light of day on this site, please keep it up. Some of them are being worked on as I type this.

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

Posted: 23 August 2006 04:45 AM #12

Karma: Likely not going to happen, but it’s certainly in the realm of possibility.

Weekend News: I’d rather gouge my eyes out with a spork.  There’s just no return on it.

Classic Mac forum/Old Mac forum: A great idea, though it requires a bit more thought.

Site Design: Agreed. A redesign will be in the offing sooner or later.

Hot Forum Topics: Back for good.

iPO forums: This will also happen.

iPod support forum: This will most likely happen when we have the above mentioned issue fixed.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 23 August 2006 05:23 AM #13

[quote author=“Bryan”]Karma: Likely not going to happen, but it’s certainly in the realm of possibility.

According to the dictionary:
    kar·ma
    n.
    Hinduism & Buddhism. The total effect of a person’s actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person’s existence, regarded as determining the person’s destiny.

I’m supposing that you aren’t referring to one’s destiny?

[quote author=“Bryan”]I’d rather gouge my eyes out with a spork.

Oh, please don’t. We really like you, Bryan, and gouging your eyes out with a spork can seriously ruin your day.

Posted: 23 August 2006 08:36 AM #14

Bryan wrote:

Weekend News: I’d rather gouge my eyes out with a spork. There’s just no return on it.

:cry:  Don’t do it!! We can live without weekend news.

:wink: After checking out “Cirque du Mac 3.0: The All Stars Rock the Geeks!” and reading quite a few posts I can see that you are into music, but…I’d also say The GarageBand Garage forum is dying. The last post was by me yelling at some spammer, and it was pretty dead before that.

As far as the Classic Mac Help forum is concerned, I’d say it’s still relevant. I only switched to X last year and still use Classic on occasion. Give it a year or so and I could see getting rid of it - and at the same time splitting the Hardware Help forum into PPC and Intel.

Again - my 2?

Posted: 23 August 2006 11:00 AM #15

[quote author=“burreyeann”]

As far as the Classic Mac Help forum is concerned, I’d say it’s still relevant. I only switched to X last year and still use Classic on occasion. Give it a year or so and I could see getting rid of it - and at the same time splitting the Hardware Help forum into PPC and Intel.

Again - my 2?

Don’t get rid of it. As time passes, more and more models join the Classic Mac ranks, so there will always be classic macs. I’m just saying that we should morph it into an Old Mac Forum, where any form of discussion involving older Macs is welcome. And maybe not in the Support Boards. I’m thinking that Appletalk is better for that type of forum.

[quote author=“macinnerd”]... a specific forum for older Macs, which would be the place for assistance with older Mac, all of the old Mac discussion, tips and tricks, trivia, etc…