Zune: a re-badged Toshiba

• Posted: 26 August 2006 04:48 AM #16

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”][quote author=“sleepygeek”]The question is, will MS be so arrogant, that they will discount a failed launch because the gigabeat Zune isn’t the “real” product developed in-house. We’d than get a second round of Zunes in mid-2007.

Yes they will.. they really are that arrogant. They’re used to launching second-rate products to gain a foothold in the market, and following that up with incremental improvements. I really don’t know if that will wash in this market though.

Doubt that it will work this time though. Before, their products would be compared to other mediocre offerings. This time they will be publicly compared to an excellent product; the iPod.

• Posted: 26 August 2006 09:01 AM #17

IMHO it’s a stupid time of year to launch an untested product. It’s nothing more than an effort to leverage access to cheap components and create a product with a value-added based on the sum of its parts.

It won’t work.

Posted: 26 August 2006 09:09 AM #18

They should have waited, spending the time to develop something truly ground breaking. They should have launched Vista and then followed up with Zune, building on whatever new multi-media features Vista might offer. To launch a re-badged product with only trifling innovations in order to hit the holiday season, and prior to the release of their new OS which presumably will have hooks into Zune which XP won’t, smacks of desperation, bad organisation, and terrible product planning. The marketing department have been put in charge of the asylum. Woe betide them!

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

• Posted: 26 August 2006 09:27 AM #19

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”]They should have waited, spending the time to develop something truly ground breaking. They should have launched Vista and then followed up with Zune, building on whatever new multi-media features Vista might offer. To launch a re-badged product with only trifling innovations in order to hit the holiday season, and prior to the release of their new OS which presumably will have hooks into Zune which XP won’t, smacks of desperation, bad organisation, and terrible product planning. The marketing department have been put in charge of the asylum. Woe betide them!

I agree smile This product should be delayed until after the release of the consumer version of Vista (if it is to be released at all). But perhaps contracts have been signed and product ordered first timed for the fall release of Vista.

IMHO this product will take far too much explaining without a “story” as to the “benefits” of Vista.

• Posted: 27 August 2006 01:11 AM #20

And here’s another little worry for Zune . That pesky Creative patent.

Posted: 27 August 2006 02:58 AM #21

[quote author=“sleepygeek”]And here’s another little worry for Zune . That pesky Creative patent.

And in other news, Microsoft buys Creative.

(Just kidding - at least so far…)

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

• Posted: 27 August 2006 03:41 AM #22

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”]And in other news, Microsoft buys Creative.

I’m sure the Apple/Creative deal covers Creative being being bought.

Posted: 27 August 2006 04:13 AM #23

[quote author=“sleepygeek”][quote author=“Tommo_UK”]And in other news, Microsoft buys Creative.

I’m sure the Apple/Creative deal covers Creative being being bought.

I’m sure it does, but that wouldn’t help anyone else except Apple… other media player manufacturers would be completely shafted rolleyes

Signature

• Posted: 27 August 2006 01:01 PM #24

Creative is going no where fast. It appears Apple bought a performance participation in the patents. This reduces the company’s value to an iPod competitor. Creative is now inside “Apple’s sphere of economic influence” and there’s no way out.

Essentially, Creative sold out for $100 million in badly needed cash. Apple will see a reduction in total amount paid for the patent use and makes it more expensive for iPod competitors to use Creative’s patents (they will in effect be paying Apple for their use). Facing the prospects of the millions invloved in a big legal fight with Apple, Creative was looking at economic extinction. To Apple, the cost came cheap for what they will receive.

• Posted: 28 August 2006 08:58 AM #25

One word

Fugly.

• Posted: 28 August 2006 09:21 AM #26

zune player

This product should be delayed until after the release of the consumer version of Vista

I agree with much of what is being said about the Zune player but I wouldn’t be so quick to write MSFT off on this matter. This has much more to do with who wins the battle of the entertainment center in the home and MSFT isn’t going to be so quick to throw in the towel. They have already given notice to their shareholders that this effort could take up to 5 years. Even if the first zune player fails miserably, MSFT is going to keep on going with its development because the battle is about much more than just an mp3 player.

Also, there is still a large contingent of computer users who still hate everything Apple or iPod and will buy any piece of garbage that MSFT puts out as long as it isn’t Apple(although the size of this group is probably shrinking these days). Because of MSFT’s staying power, they will be able to outlast any of the other mp3 players and might be able to come up with a significant portion of the mp3 player market just by default. Also, despite all things looking to the contrary, MSFT might actually put out a decent product that people might want to buy. But even if this is the case, this is a growing market and there is significant room for others as well.

Neal

Posted: 28 August 2006 09:38 AM #27

Fortunately for AAPL, it holds 70-80% of the US market for portable music/media players. That also means that 70-80% of computer owners who use digital music also have iTunes installed on their PCs. This, in turn, means that QuickTime is installed on 70-80% of the PCS owned by those actively engaged in purchasing, downloading, listening to or watching digital media.

At the moment, Apple owns Windows when it comes to media playback, in much the same way that Microsoft owns OS X when it comes to office-oriented productivity applications. They may try very hard, but 5 years may not be enough to unseat Apple on this front, providing Apple continues to innovate and focus on delivering simple, solid, and elegant solutions to users’ requirements rather than the feature-bloat approach adopted by M$.

This is a clash of civilisations between two almost diametrically-opposed philosophies. Zuner rather than later (sorry, couldn’t resist), I expect Microsoft to founder, and suffer the worst and most public consumer product failure in its entire history, and one which will become the marker as the point at which it went into terminal decline - even if those more knowledgeable might well define that point as being several years earlier. The failure of Zune to gain traction will undermine Microsoft’s integrity in a way that Windows’ problems alone could never achieve single-handedly. If Zune ultimately fails to dominate the digital media landscape, then Microsoft’s waning power to define the marketplace on its own terms will be completely shattered, and Apple’s media standards - and by definition OS X - will come to totally dominate the consumer market, over time, as any last lingering reasons for choosing Windows over OS X in pursuit of some mythical compatibility benefit evaporates.

Signature

• Posted: 28 August 2006 12:58 PM #28

Arrogance on both sides

Many Mac users need to wake up out of their daze and realize that MS can catch up on things. Have you used Office 2003? Excellent product. XP? Pretty good. Sharepoint? Really good. XBOX? Money-loser, but great product. MS mice? Excellent. SQL Server? Pretty good.

Mac users have to stop knocking MS as stupid.

Before I get attacked as a troll, I’ve been using Macs since 1984 and every family member has a newer iBook or Imac of some sort. And one PC.

And who really cares? I just say, “Use what you like.” I prefer to use a PC with XP and Office 2003 at work and use a Mac with Tiger/Panther at home. So there you go!

P

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”][quote author=“sleepygeek”]The question is, will MS be so arrogant, that they will discount a failed launch because the gigabeat Zune isn’t the “real” product developed in-house. We’d than get a second round of Zunes in mid-2007.

Yes they will.. they really are that arrogant. They’re used to launching second-rate products to gain a foothold in the market, and following that up with incremental improvements. I really don’t know if that will wash in this market though.

• Posted: 28 August 2006 01:01 PM #29

Whose arrogant Re: Arrogance on both sides

Mac users can be as much, or more, arrogant that PC users. I think Mac users are as arrogant as PC users can be ignorant of the Mac platform. Heck, many on both sides are arrogant and ignorant!

MS will catch up on their mPod and many people will get one because there is little difference to the user between the iPod and mPod.

And Apple could use some competition. If it wasn’t for MS Windows, we’d be paying $4,000 for our Macs today…

P

• Posted: 28 August 2006 01:08 PM #30

Re: zune player

Sounds like my ex-wife and her new husband. They loath Apple and its products, yet have no end of problems with their cheaply built PCs and cruddy MP3 players…

A lot of people will flat out say that Apple sucks.

It’s too bad for them.

P

———-

Also, there is still a large contingent of computer users who still hate everything Apple or iPod and will buy any piece of garbage that MSFT puts out as long as it isn’t Apple(although the size of this group is probably shrinking these days). Because of MSFT’s staying power, they will be able to outlast any of the other mp3 players and might be able to come up with a significant portion of the mp3 player market just by default. Also, despite all things looking to the contrary, MSFT might actually put out a decent product that people might want to buy. But even if this is the case, this is a growing market and there is significant room for others as well.

Neal