Wanted: Inexpensive VHS import to Mac solution

Posted: 02 September 2006 11:01 AM

Hello All!

For some time now, I’ve wanted to explore the idea of
    importing my collection of VHS home video into my iMac so that I could edit to keep the worthwhile scenes and preserve them on DVD.  I’ve searched the net and found items such as PINNACLE STUDIO 9 MOVIE BOX are available, but I was hoping to buy a used system at a bargain price and upgrade later as I gained some experience with iMovie.  So, if anyone out there knows of someone who has a “VHS import to mac” unit available for a reasonable price, please let me know.

Thanks!

Signature

You can save your money to spend later on retirement, but you cannot save the days of your youth.  Therefore, spend some of your money on yourself and enjoy life now!       
      thepoeticjuan

Posted: 14 January 2007 09:22 AM #1

Hi thepoeticjuan,

If your VHS deck has an S-Video out or composite out, you can use the MyVideo USB converter from Eskape Labs.

They don’t sell this anymore, but my old converter is listed on Amazon   (Sorry for the shameless plug).  You need a program (its free) called MyTV/x for this product to work in Mac OS X.

It does a fair job.  There are more high quality solutions, but I think they’re a waste of money because VHS doesn’t have that great quality to begin with.  It creates a small file (compared to DV), and looks great when reexported to DVD and played back on TV.  Using a program called VisualHub, I was able to get 6 hours (again non-dv) on VHS tape onto a DVD.  VisualHub also converts movies to iPods, the web, etc.

If you’re interested, let me know and I can help you make whatever you’re trying to do work.

Posted: 26 February 2007 09:58 AM #2

Hey Burnum!  Sorry that I took so long to respond (after checking for a few months I sort of gave up. I know that it has been over a month since you’ve posted this and I hope that you can still help me out. This sounds great!  I’ll send you a pm so that hopefully we can make this happen. 

Thanks again! smile

Signature

You can save your money to spend later on retirement, but you cannot save the days of your youth.  Therefore, spend some of your money on yourself and enjoy life now!       
      thepoeticjuan

Posted: 18 April 2008 11:26 AM #3

Bump!

Does anyone have any experience with something called “Elgato?”

Signature

thepoeticjuan

Posted: 18 April 2008 03:30 PM #4

Other than the name of a cat?

Actually, I have one of their FW HD boxes. Works as advertised.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…