ftp? iTools? Blogs?

• Posted: 16 April 2002 06:36 PM

How can I ftp to my iTools homepage? What’s the path?

I’m trying to add bloggers to my webpage there and they can do it via an ftp. Anybody blog and know how to do this?

Signature

• Posted: 12 April 2002 01:18 AM #1

Nope, it’s not an FTP server, so there’s no FTP interface, and hence no way for Blogger to do its magic stuff directly to your iDisk.

You could, if you want that blog to be a part of an existing Mac.com homepage, use a blogspot.com blog (Blogger’s freeb host) or another free server type place, put it in a frame, and simply pass it off as part of your Mac.com one.  Otherwise, you could probably just find a free server with FTP (there are bajillions) and use them instead.

Be sure to check out BlogScript or BlogApp for super-convenient bloggage.

Stalk me. You love it. Stalk some more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raena on 2002-04-12 04:29 ]</font>

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 12 April 2002 01:43 AM #2

Ah, I had wondered that about the iTools sites.  That’s okay, tho.

Also, anyone toying with weblogs might want to check out Radio Userland.  The stuff looks way cool, more powerful than your average blogger-type setup, it seems, and maybe easier to do.  (I can’t say for certain, but one of these days I’m gonna try it out.)  They do want 40 bucks if you use it, but that includes the software plus a year of web hosting on their site (ad-free far as I know).  Ah, I had wondered that about the iTools sites.  That’s okay, tho.

Also, anyone toying with weblogs might want to check out Radio Userland.  The stuff looks way cool, more powerful than your average blogger-type setup, it seems, and maybe easier to do.  (I can’t say for certain, but one of these days I’m gonna try it out.)  They do want 40 bucks if you use it, but that includes the software plus a year of web hosting on their site (ad-free far as I know).  http://radio.userland.com/

• Posted: 12 April 2002 07:44 AM #3

On 2002-04-12 04:18, Raena wrote:
    Nope, it’s not an FTP server, so there’s no FTP interface, and hence no way for Blogger to do its magic stuff directly to your iDisk.

Thanks Raena, I figured that out last night when I got home, hopped on the Mac (ahhhh, sweet relief!) and nosed around iTools for a bit.

C1, I’ll check out those sites. I’m trying to make my site easier to keep up and look better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ahnyer Keester on 2002-04-12 10:45 ]</font>

Signature

• Posted: 12 April 2002 07:58 AM #4

For a cheap blog, $25/year ($5/2mths, $15/6mths) gets you an account at LiveJournal , which is fully hosted and simple enough for an eight year old to use.  Once your paid time runs out you can keep using your LiveJournal, although with limited features. You can see an example of an LJ in action (mine! w00t!) here .

You can download clients to update the journal, or use the Web interface. You can also take your pick from a bunch of ways to syndicate your content on any site (even a Mac.com homepage).

Even cooler still is that you can make private entries that only you can see.  If you follow my link there, you’ll only see about a third of the entries I’ve made - the rest are either private entries, or restricted so that only other LiveJournal members can read them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raena on 2002-04-12 11:02 ]</font>

Signature

• Posted: 16 April 2002 12:38 PM #5

Raena, do you know how to add comments to blogs? I’ve seen it on a few sites but haven’t seen anything on how to do it.

Signature

• Posted: 16 April 2002 06:36 PM #6

Depends what you’re using.  Greymatter has it built in, as does LiveJournal. For blogger, if you can find access to a server to install your own commenting system, there’s BlogBack PHP or BlogKomm . Even more, including remotely hosted ones, can be found here.

Signature