RIPPING SOFTWARE FOR PRINTER/IMAGESETTER

• Posted: 13 October 2006 06:38 AM

I have a situation with new printers coming on the market, more professional types rather than home use. There are not many (if any) OS X software but for mainly for WINs.

Example. UFJ-605C printer, the software is for WIN not OS X.

Now I am not whining about that issue really, I’m just curious as to what are the benenifits of creating a WIN sofware rather than OS X.  There interface is usaually quite awful and the steps (configuration) is painful.

In the MAC community are they applications that can convert these applications.

• Posted: 10 January 2007 09:26 PM #1

Compatible all in one printers and digital cameras

I a new IMac with OS X user, and I’m trying to figure out, if my HP Photosmart 6180 all in one printer is compatible, and if so, what is the best digital camera to work with them.  Being an artist (painter) I need to be able to photograph my work, print high quality photos, and send high resolution jpgs out to galleries.

• Posted: 11 January 2007 12:44 PM #2

Re: RIPPING SOFTWARE FOR PRINTER/IMAGESETTER

[quote author=“BATTY@”]Now I am not whining about that issue really, I’m just curious as to what are the benenifits of creating a WIN sofware rather than OS X.  There interface is usaually quite awful and the steps (configuration) is painful.

The primary benefit for the developer is that there are so many more Windows machines out there than Macs. Unfortunately for us, any company that makes drivers for only one platform is going to choose Windows, unless it is specifically a Mac-oriented product. The potential customer base is larger that way.

[quote author=“BATTY@”]In the MAC community are they applications that can convert these applications.

Unfortunately not. One possible workaround would be to use the printer on a Windows computer and send the files to it from your Macs. I don’t know how practical this is for your particular work, though….

• Posted: 11 January 2007 12:49 PM #3

Re: Compatible all in one printers and digital cameras

[quote author=“Artist1”]I a new IMac with OS X user, and I’m trying to figure out, if my HP Photosmart 6180 all in one printer is compatible, and if so, what is the best digital camera to work with them.  Being an artist (painter) I need to be able to photograph my work, print high quality photos, and send high resolution jpgs out to galleries.

HP has downloadable Mac drivers on this page .

As for cameras, I am partial to Canon. They tend to have good stuff both in the pro and consumer areas. Personally I use a Canon EOS 350D (Rebel XT.) However, most common camera brands (like Canon, Nikon, HP, Kodak, etc.) seem to work fine with Macs these days. For advice on a specific camera check out http://dpreview.com/ They have in-depth reviews on lots of current and recent models.