What's the best?

• Posted: 17 April 2002 07:35 AM

I’m using Netscape Composer to build my website and it is driving me nuts. What’s the best free Mac HTML editor for OS 9.1?

Signature

• Posted: 12 April 2002 10:45 AM #1

I’m a bit biased, but go to www.htmlgoodies.com  The best coding software is simple text or BBEdit.

Free or inexpensive?  try www.coffeecupsoftware.com and see what they have.

If you have to use a wysiwyg, Dreamweaver produces the least bad code of all of them.  but for free, you’re probably not going to find much.  That is why I suggest learning how to code it yourself.  Even if you do use a wysiwyg later on, it’s nice to be able to look at the code and figure out what’s wrong.

Signature

I’m out of time, patience and my mind… but I have plenty of excuses.

• Posted: 12 April 2002 10:50 AM #2

On 2002-04-12 13:45, ERNesbitt wrote:
    That is why I suggest learning how to code it yourself.  Even if you do use a wysiwyg later on, it’s nice to be able to look at the code and figure out what’s wrong.

I like to use the wysiwyg for setting up the page and then getting in there with SimpleText or something and tweeking. It is just easier to have a tool to do the general stuff and then to pop the hood and tweek.

I used CoffeeCup stuff on the Wintel machine, I sort of figured that there’d be something super elegant for the Mac.

Signature

• Posted: 12 April 2002 09:32 PM #3

I like Adobe PageMill as a more “basic” editor, though it isn’t necessarily the most advanced HTML editor.  It came with some Macs in the past, so you may already even have it with your restore CDs.  It’s pretty fast and easy to use, and as I recall it generated code that looked pretty much the same in various browsers.

• Posted: 17 April 2002 07:35 AM #4

On 2002-04-13 00:32, David Nelson wrote:
    I like Adobe PageMill as a more “basic” editor, though it isn’t necessarily the most advanced HTML editor.

Guess what? I was rooting through some software that came with a scanner a friend gave me and there was PageMill! Installed it and started playing last night. Not bad but the pages look very different in IE5. Eh, its a start.

Signature