Free web space?

Posted: 14 April 2002 05:18 AM

I’m not sure that this is the right forum to post this question.

I have a project going with one of my classes that would be easier if I could put up a web page that allows for cgi-bin scripts, automatic posting in particular.  I know that I can’t do that with my mac.com homepage, so I’m scrounging around for free web space that allows “post to” forms.

Any suggestions where I might find such space?

edit for spelling (I really do know how to spell )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: yoyo52 on 2002-04-13 16:52 ]</font>

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

• Posted: 13 April 2002 04:09 PM #1

A buddy of mine went off to australia and got a geocities account that lets us post messages to him.. Maybe ths is what you’re looking for?

Posted: 13 April 2002 05:03 PM #2

Thanks for the suggetion, but I don’t think Geocities supports append to scripts, or automatic posting of messages.  Anyway, I just tried it and had no success

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Posted: 13 April 2002 06:53 PM #3

Thanks again, Morto.  I’ve actually gotten the Geocities page to work as I wanted to, using the “guestbook” function that Geocities provides.  That’s good enough for what I want to do.

Edit:  I deleted the URL cause it occured to me that people and other scalawags might decide to post to it even though they’re not in the course that’s going to be using it.  Sorry!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: yoyo52 on 2002-04-13 21:55 ]</font>

Signature

• Posted: 13 April 2002 07:29 PM #4

I’m going to move this to the HTML/website forum, if that’s ok.  I suspect you’ll find more answers there.

edit: Huzzah! I went looking.

http://www.netfirms.com/ - Has ads for the freeb version.

http://www.united.net.kg/  -No ads. Low bandwidth (100 frickin’ MB!), but if only your class would see it then that’s possibly not a big deal.

http://www.spaceports.com/ - has ads.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/ecentricity/hostswithcgi.shtml - big list o’ sites.

Hope that’s a good start.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raena on 2002-04-13 22:42 ]</font>

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

Posted: 13 April 2002 08:20 PM #5

Thanks!  I tried google to get sites and came out with very little.  What’d you use?

Signature

• Posted: 13 April 2002 08:26 PM #6

Google.

I used the keywords ‘free web space cgi-bin’.

Signature

• Posted: 13 April 2002 09:32 PM #7

Do you really need CGI access, or just a place that will let people post stuff? If the latter, you might want to check out Blogger, BlogSpot, LiveJournal, etc., and see if they will do what you need to do.

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Posted: 13 April 2002 10:58 PM #8

On 2002-04-13 23:26, Raena wrote:
    Google.

I used the keywords ‘free web space cgi-bin’.

Signature

• Posted: 13 April 2002 11:34 PM #9

Signature

Posted: 14 April 2002 05:18 AM #10

If a guestbook is suitable for your purposes, you can use just about any free webspace provider, probably even your mac.com (which is a nice URL!); just get a guestbook from HTMLgear at

They’re nicely customisable, too!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: davidneale on 2002-04-14 08:20 ]</font>