Hot Forum Topics

Posted: 01 November 2006 11:18 AM

I don’t disagree with the idea of the Hot Forum Topic but it seems that there is some confusion as to what the criteria for a “Hot Forum Topic” is. Some seem to think it is lots of posting activity. Some think it is a debate of interest to nearly everyone on TMO. It appears that it might just be a post that one of the TMO Staff saw, liked, and listed. The one that appeared today “The Case of the Cracked Display” is a good example; no ongoing debate (at the time it hit the front page only the original post was there), and a very limited area of interest. Personally I’ve not found fault with any of the Hot Forum Topics, but there has been more and more flames from people bothered by your selections.

It would be nice if Bryan or someone at TMO could list what the rules are for a Hot Forum Topic. If it’s nothing more than just “A Hot Forum Topic is whatever we say it is. If you don’t like it then bite-me”, that’s fine. Like I said I don’t disagree with the choices for Hot Forum Topic.  It would be useful however, to have this recorded. If for no other reason than we could point the flamers to the page where it’s written.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 01 November 2006 11:50 AM #1

The “rules” are pretty simple: We list posts that we think our readers will find interesting.  There’s no formula for that, and it’s not a numeric issue. 

A lot of cool, unusual, controversial, though-provoking, informative, and otherwise interesting threads get posted in the forums, and when we see one that strikes us appropriately, we post it in the headlines branded as a “Hot Forum Topic.”

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 01 November 2006 06:44 PM #2

Most of the time it’s fine. When people do happen to question it, it seems that the word they get tripped up on is “Hot”. I’m sure today’s HFT was missing the H in many people’s estimation. It may have been better termed a “Featured Forum Topic” or “Forum Topic of the Day”. I’m not sure that altering the label back and forth makes sense, either, though. But, I do remember at least once having a “Fun Forum Topic”.

Whatever the case, once a thread is labeled a “Hot Forum Topic” it has a good chance of becoming one.

[edit: added forgotten word

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

Posted: 01 November 2006 11:54 PM #3

Indeed, bweels.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 02 November 2006 03:22 AM #4

[quote author=“bweels”]Most of the time it’s fine. When people do happen to question it, it seems that the word they get tripped up on is “Hot”.

I agree. Hot is just vague enough to confuse some people. Calling them Topic of the Day or Featured Forum Topic might reduce the angst among those that are bothered by such things.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 02 November 2006 07:38 AM #5

[quote author=“geoduck”][quote author=“bweels”]Most of the time it’s fine. When people do happen to question it, it seems that the word they get tripped up on is “Hot”.

I agree. Hot is just vague enough to confuse some people. Calling them Topic of the Day or Featured Forum Topic might reduce the angst among those that are bothered by such things.

I totally agree. Quite often, there are “Hot” topics. I like reading those because they usually pertain to something in my life.
    But “Topic of the Day” might be more suitable. I won’t be tempted to click on it and see what the fuss is about if the start of the topic doesn’t immediately interest me. You could still throw in a “Hot” topic once in a while when things get really interesting.

My objection to yesterday’s “Hot” topic was that it was just some first-time poster who claims he didn’t abuse his Macbook (no offense Rockville). With no other postings, it was hard to judge just how genuine his claims were.  (I heard claims like that all the time when I worked for an Apple Service Provider.) But if Bosco or geoduck or any other regular had posted it, I would have understood the “Hotness.”

Thanks for being open to suggestions.

Posted: 02 November 2006 08:19 AM #6

[quote author=“geoduck”]...reduce the angst among those that are bothered by such things.

You know, if anyone is truly experiencing angst over this, I’ll gladly throw some much bigger problems their way. raspberry

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see