About what should my page be?

Posted: 19 April 2002 10:09 PM

I really like doing Web-pages, but I have a big problem. I never now about what I should do them. (I know, that’s said).

I fought about doing a German help forum with a news section (kind of like the MacObserver, but not that good), but I takes a long time until it has many users and I don’t wanna do a page like:
      My Private homepage
          Picture, thats me with my cat and so on.
    So does anyone out there have any ideas for me or wants to do page with somebody?
    ( )

I know that this is a stupid Questions

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Johannes on 2002-04-16 15:59 ]</font>

Signature

Those signatures are great.

Posted: 16 April 2002 01:11 PM #1

Why not make a page about the best stupid questions you’ve ever come across?

• Posted: 16 April 2002 10:37 PM #2

I made already a page called MySQL (my stupid question list).
    I now that this is a really stupid question, but maby somebody want’s to do a page with somebody. Because all my friends use Windows they are really mac haters.
    So what should I do, I fought I’ll just ask if somebody is interested.

Posted: 16 April 2002 10:38 PM #3

I made already a page called MySQL (my stupid question list).
    I now that this is a really stupid question, but maby somebody want’s to do a page with somebody. Because all my friends use Windows they are really mac haters.
    So what should I do, I fought I’ll just ask if somebody is interested.

Signature

Posted: 17 April 2002 04:28 AM #4

Johannes, I’ve just visited the site indicated in your profile; If this is your own site, a few suggestions: give the user the option to turn off the music; give the user the option to skip the intro; correct the English or write the text in your own language.

I suspect, however, that this is the site of your educational establishment, and not your own. If so, then bear the above points in mind when making your own site.

You say that your Windows friends are Mac haters. Make a German-language site about Macs! Let your part of the world know the joys of being a mac-user!

Posted: 17 April 2002 10:09 AM #5

I didn’t do the English part and would you please give me an example where mistakes are.
    And actually you can skip the intro and the page is made by my friend and me.

Signature

• Posted: 17 April 2002 10:21 AM #6

Davidneale, I must disagree with you. I assisted Johannes in the making of that page.

The intro CAN be skipped, if you take a look there is a link UNDER the flash movie to head straight to the page. The English content was made by me, and please point out a mistake in my English.

You tell my friend as an authorative figure how to make his website, and complain about what he’s already done. Then you come and say something very fancily about him not making the website, and at the same time hoping my friend here won’t understand it. Take a look at it.. is it helping Johannes? No.

Think before insulting Johannes next time, eh?

• Posted: 17 April 2002 01:41 PM #7

On 2002-04-17 13:21, Anonymous wrote:
    You tell my friend as an authorative figure how to make his website, and complain about what he’s already done. Then you come and say something very fancily about him not making the website, and at the same time hoping my friend here won’t understand it.
    Think before insulting Johannes next time, eh?

Pardon?

Posted: 17 April 2002 01:53 PM #8

Under OmniWeb 4.1 there is no indication on the startup page that the intro can be skipped (that’s the page starting with a black screen with just the words,“Internet Security Resources” at the bottom, followed by “Loading Movie” in the centre and a lot of noise). This is followed by a series of quickly displayed messages, including one which refers to “…youre questions…”

The main grey screen also contains numerous language errors.

My remarks were not insults. Johannes asked what he could do and I gave him some sensible pointers.

Why do you suppose that Johannes would not understand what I wrote? There was certainly nothing in any of his previous posts to indicate that he would have a problem. Do not underestimate your friend—he took the trouble to ask a sensible question and I am sure he will also take the time to examine my comments. I have a feeling that Johannes wants to learn.

• Posted: 18 April 2002 08:32 AM #9

Sure he wants to learn

On the first page - http://www.danubeschool.at/cyberschool2002/index.htm - there are two bits to the page. The flash movie and a regular link below it to the main page. Tell me if you don’t see this. You might even want to check the source code - the link is there.

I’m not able to control the text in the flash movie, but do tell me a mistake in the main content on the opening page please.

• Posted: 18 April 2002 08:34 AM #10

My my, I didn’t realise the smilies were so scary. Sorry for using them wink

• Posted: 18 April 2002 12:23 PM #11

Hey… I like these smileys!

On 2002-04-18 11:32, Anonymous wrote:
    Sure he wants to learn
    (...)
    You might even want to check the source code - the link is there.

Here is your source, in its entirety.

<HTML>

<HEAD>
      <TITLE>Internet Security</TITLE>
      <link href=“stylesheet.css” type=“text/css” rel=“stylesheet”>
    </HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR=“000000” TEXT=“White” LINK=“Silver” Marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 leftmargin=0 topmargin=0>
    <center>
      <object classid=“clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000” codebase=“http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#versi width=“700” height=“540”>

<embed src=“flash/devil.swf” quality=high pluginspage=“http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Versi type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” width=“700” height=“540”>
        </embed>
      </object>
      Internet
      Security Resource

</center>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

Why I do believe that’s an A. Link found.

Okay.  Let’s clarify somewhat.

1. There is a link, but this is not an OBVIOUS option to skip the intro. The wording of this link could possibly be changed somewhat (“enter”?) to make it a little clearer.
    2. The link itself resembles plain text. It should be obvious that it’s a link without having to mouse over it.  It could possibly be made to stand out some more, although changing the wording would undoubtedly fix that.
    3. It probably isn’t 100% necessary to have that grey Java news scroller on every single page.
    4. Some of the information isn’t entirely accurate, in that it’s a little simplistic (eg: “[a hacker] then has full access to your computer and can do anything he likes…” - well, it’s not always ‘full’ access, and it normally isn’t ‘anything’).  A little research fixes that.
    5. As for the language stuff, there are a mess of oddly used words and so forth (‘but viruses really ever began to spread’, for example), but that’s not something we need to pick to shreds in this thread.  I’d be happy to go through it for you, though.

BTW, I think all of us English-speakers could all stand to be a little more tolerant of things like that.  I know if I tried to write something like this in one of the languages I studied, it’d be something along the lines of ‘See Jack run. Run, Jack, run.’  I have a lot of respect for people who take the time to produce a site in more than one language.

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 18 April 2002 01:29 PM #12

On 2002-04-18 15:23, Raena wrote:

BTW, I think all of us English-speakers could all stand to be a little more tolerant of things like that.

Would “English-speakers” include those of us who are born and raised in the US?

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

• Posted: 19 April 2002 02:17 AM #13

It’ll have to; I don’t know the collective noun for ‘persons from the country where the Presiident thinks misunderstimate is a word’.

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

Posted: 19 April 2002 08:36 AM #14

This page is acctually for a competion, http://www.cyberschool.at/
    On Monday they will tell who won. If you want to view the other pages from my age group http://www.cyberschool.at/junior/teilnehmer.htm
    Most of them are really bad.
    I hope we win. I will get much money.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Johannes on 2002-04-19 11:38 ]</font>

Signature

Posted: 19 April 2002 09:58 PM #15

kinda tired, don’t feel up to traslating the entire site, but here’s what i can do for the ” http://www.danubeschool.at/cyberschool2002/news.htm ” page…

We have just received news that the Cyberschool results will be issued on the 22nd of April, which is next Monday. So what can be a better time to post some news?

Probably better stated “So what could be a better time to post some news?”

——————————-

The english isn’t as bad as i assumed from the posts above, I only caught the one grammatical errors, there were some other minor errors in syntax, but nothing major that I saw.

Good luck with the results monday!

Signature

-Louie